Yahoo Games All-Stars: Fucking Meaningless

I signed up for this for one reason: So that I could play chess on the Yahoo system without ads. I cancelled within one hour when I signed up, logged on, and found–whadyaknow?–the ads are still there both in the game forum and the individual boards.

And the service even says that you don’t have “popup ads” in the gameroom. But I guess other ads at the top of the board (blinking and flashing and distracting) are A-OK. Mmm, now I can see why the All-Stars thing has been a flop since introduced about seven years ago.

Ridiculous.

I just went to the site and it states “no more pop-up ads while you play.” Nothing about no more ads, period. But yeah, the number of ads on gaming sites is getting ridiculous. You’ve got ads around the games, ads while the games are “loading,” and ads sometimes within the games.

There were never popup ads per se in chess, but Safari counts their in-game crap as popups, which means you have to disable them in order to load the chess board. Stupid as hell.

If you can, get Firefox and its Adblocker plugin.

Or, Firefox + Flashblock + Nuke Anything. Nuke Anything lets you remove any object you want from a page, which gives you the most wonderful feeling of power. “Rot in hell, you blinking animated GIF!”

Just downloaded this and HOW AWESOME!!! I am removing everything on every page I visit. Just for the hell of it. FUN FUN FUN!!!

:slight_smile:

I put Ad Blocker on Firefox, and now I’m set!

Thanks, Dopers!