Yeah, I have a recommendation: drown your children and shoot yourself. Thanks!

With all the videostores I have experience with, I have to believe that this is only your perception. If you are actually and literally being ridiculed, you need to find another video store.

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. :stuck_out_tongue:

In my experience, the staff could be ridiculing everyone’s choices, but it seems like they’re too busy to pay much attention to who’s renting what. After a few months, I don’t think you’d be paying too much attention to who’s renting what, anyway. Another day, another bunch of people renting stuff.

If this is a serious question, the movie is The Bone Collector, and Angelina Jolie and Denzel Washington are in it.

Or this one.

Yeah, it was probably one of those, if it wasn’t one of another half-dozen similar films between the two of them. Or maybe it was the one where Meg Ryan shows her nether bits. It’s always so hard to remember; that’s why I just ask the video store clerk.

While we’re at it, what’s the one with the scientist who gets transformed into a superhero by some kind of experiement gone wrong and ends up facing down a former father figure/mentor/bully in the climatic showdown? The name is just on the tip of my tongue…something-Man…ah, never mind. Do you have Ladri di Biciclette in stock? That’s what I really wanted to see anyway. No? How about La Dolce Vita? Wild Strawberries? Jules et Jim? Kagemusha? The Conversation? Rear Window? The Wild Bunch? The Manchurian Candidate? Oh, you do have it; great…oh, wait, this isn’t the Frankenheimer version, is it? Ah, well…um…just give me Casablanca. Yeah, I know it’s in black and white, thanks. Oh, I get a second one free? What about The Third Man? No? Raging Bull? Some Like It Hot? Roman Holli

Stranger

Roman Holliday? I didn’t know Billie had a brother…

Next time, pretend you’ve got your distributor on the phone and do that scene from Clerks. JAY: "Yes, I need one each of the following titles: Girls Who Crave Cock, Girls Who Crave Cunt, Real Men V: The K-Y Connection, All Holes Filled with Hard Cock . . ."

Yeah, I do know the one you mean. It’s that movie with a title. If you just head on into the shop, you’ll find it on the shelves.

You might have gotten further if you’d said, " what’s that motherfuckin’ movie about those motherfuckin’ snakes on that motherfuckin’ plane? " :smiley:

lissener, if postal workers go postal, what should we be prepared to call it when we read about you one day?

" Going Rental " ?

:wink:

And if you’re out of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, you could recomment either Chitty Chitty Bang Bang or Kiss Me Deadly.

Do you have “Ethel the Aardvark goes Quantity Surveying?”

In the mirror universe:

Me: plops The Sea Inside, Pan’s Labryinth, or some other Yrup flick on the counter.

Clerk, younger than some shoes I own: “That has subtitles, you know!”

Me: “I sure hope so, I can’t speak Spanish.” Then I get out :smiley:

any chance you’ll get a job outside customer service/contact w/the public?

Similar happened to me two weeks ago at BlockBuster. I picked out Apocalypto, Pan’s Labyrinth, and Letters from Iwo Jima and went to the counter to check-out.

BlockBuster Employee: These are not in english.
MeanJoe: Yes, thank you.
BBE: I just thought you should know, they are all foreign films.
MJ: Yes, thank you. inner monologue Apparently non-English = foreign now? I love BB drones.
BBE: They are subtitled you know.
MJ: Yes, thank you. hands over my blockbuster card and money
BBE: Some people just get upset that they’re not in english and have subtitles.
MJ: Yes, but lucky for me, I can read.

Sometimes I can be mean…

MeanJoe

But then what would there be to piss and moan about?

I had a great one years ago at an independent. I rented Sense and Sensibility. The guy brings up my account, looks at it and starts laughing. “Your husband left fifteen minutes ago - he rented “Hard Boiled” - you guys have one hell of a double feature planned.”

To play devil’s advocate, I suspect that this disclaimer is either something the management requires them to say, or something they’ve learned on their own to prevent later conflict with irate morons who sputter “I thought this 'ere Volver” (pronounced VOLL-vur) “was an AMER’CAN movie! If I wanted to read, I’d-a gone to the liberry!”*

• A conditional scenario that probably has never occurred, nor ever will, except perhaps (somewhat ironically) for the purpose of renting movies.

Best experience as a video store clerk:

Them: Recommend a movie.

Me: Um… House of Games?

Them: We’ll take it!

Me: Don’t you want to know what it’s about?

Them: No. We trust you.

Next day:

Them: Wow, what a great movie!

Would that all of life were that easy.

I have both of those; this could work … :cool:

Oh I agree which is why I wasn’t truly nasty about it, I delivered it more tongue-in-cheek. I realize he was probably the victim of the scenario you listed above but after the 2nd or 3rd time trying to make his point to me about it being “foreign”, I saw an opening and took my shot. That’s just how I roll. :wink:

“Well, perhaps you’ll like this movie better. It’s Denzel Washington’s newest. It’s called The Contractor .”