"Year of the Monkey" NBA promo t-shirts: racist?

Agreed, 100%. John Mace, who happens to be a monkey (per my birth month/year ond the Chinese Zodiac).

Also, note that the monkey in question (that is, the logo) is an Asian monkey, not an African monkey.

Sometimes a monkey is just a monkey.

I believe this is something handed down by the NBA, for every team to promote the Lunar New Year in a manner to be determined by each team individually.

Bahh…

At the bare minimum IMO NEITHER side needs to apologize. If one side WANTS to thats fine. But if one side expects the other to…well screw that shit.

We’re all hairless monkeys.

Now that’s racist! :smiley:

I take offense at your slanty eyed smiley.

How about the black players on the Kings take some time to learn about another culture? It’s the year of the monkey. Why do we need to pretend it’s not? It has nothing to do with black people. Is TCM going to be chastised if they show Monkey Business during Feb?

As long as it is not the colorized version its probably okay.

Or maybe it needs to be the colorized version. I’m not sure anymore.

Some of us are becoming more hairless with each passing year…

I am also a Monkey!

I like the design and I’m sorry it wasn’t used. But after hundreds of years of negative associations by ignorant morons who argue that black people are a lesser species of ape, it’s not my place to tell a black person to suck it up and wear a monkey shirt. It’s a shame, but it’s the racists morons who have caused this problem, not the black people who have been laboring under their hatefulness.

Can Chinese NBA players wear the shirt still? Is this just for the NBA, or is no one allowed to wear a shirt with a monkey on it anymore since apparently the sight of an image of a monkey is racist?

So, as a white person, should I be offended if I find someone selling crackers at a sporting event?

I fint it a little odd that the NBA is celebrating Chinese New Year, but at the end of the day a monkey is just a monkey.

Looks like next year is screwed too. Year of the Rooster… male chicken… fried chicken.

Then the Dog… which calls to mind dogfights and pit bulls in “da hood.”

Year of the Pig… that one’s out, obviously.

Man, this racial sensitivity is hard work. Glad I’m not Chinese!

Phoenix Suns
http://www.nba.com/suns/go-bio

So the t-shirt is ok on March 1?

Should you? Probably not. But I don’t see anyone ITT arguing that anyone should be offended by the shirts in question.

I do see some folks arguing that offense is understandable, if over the top and/or overly sensitive.

So sure, if you were a member of a group that had been systematically oppressed and hated for centuries, and been taunted and insulted by the term “cracker” for that time, I’d totally understand your being offended. I might disagree with it, but I’d get it.

But your aren’t, and your analogy is silly.

Wait a sec. Has anyone actually been offended by the shirts? Or are they all afraid that someone might be offended? If the latter, then this is a textbook example of political correctness run amok.

Check the OP.

So yes, someone actually found the shirts to be racially insensitive.

I can sort of see if I squint real hard a problem giving away a T-shirt for something a week away on the first day of Black history month. Sort of a, why is Chinese culture more worthy of a give away than Black culture thing.

If it’s not that and just because it’s the year of the monkey, then well, that’s pants on your head stupid.

FWIW, brief googling shows me that the Chicago Bulls did something similar for 2013, the year of the snake:

And here is a t-shirt Adidas is selling featuring a monkey:

http://shop.adidas.com.ph/d-lillard-chinese-new-year-tee-bcp70.html?a=214_40966