You Know What We Need? New Saints!

There is no st. rockle but there is a St. Rock (Roch/Rocco/Rochus) - who is incidentally a patron saint of both bachelors and dogs. Hmm. I don’t see professional wrestlers on the list, but I assume that one is a given.

Please please please, can I be the patron saint of menthol cigarettes and Mountain Dew? Pretty please? With cherries on top? (They aren’t already “taken,” I checked the list.)

Well, it’s better than being the patron saint of bad jokes.

I bet there already is a patron saint of bad jokes–St. Youngman, perhaps? St. Shecky Green? Or maybe the soon to be canonized St. Bob Hope?

How about the Goatse man? I wrote a haiku to mark the occasion -
Mark St. Goatses day
Patron Saint of train drivers
And chimeny sweeps

And St. Catherine of Alexandria is largely regarded as apocryphal–although I see her name is still on the calendar.

That is a very cool site, Rue DeDay. I could spend hours on there.

I enjoyed learning about St Catherine of Bologna, who I did not realize is the patron saint of art (I’d always assumed it was St. Luke, who is indeed the patron saint of painters). It’s neat that they’ve got her preserved body still propped up in her convent cell.

I visited Bologna a few years ago, but I missed out on seeing her–which is too bad, as I seem to have a ghoulish fascination with saints’ relics. While I was in Bologna, I did manage to see the skull that once belonged to St. Dominic (as in, the founder of the Dominican order. The skull is normally enshrined within a reliquary, which they restored a few years ago–the photo shows them putting the skull back into place following the restoration).

I’ve also looked upon the preserved tongue of St. Anthony of Padua, and the enshrined body of St. Margaret of Cortona. And I saw the reputed finger of St. John the Baptist in a reliquary in Florence (sorry, couldn’t find a picture of that).

There are many other relics I’ve seen but I can’t recall them all right now.

OK. So now teachers are down to only 3 patron saints? This is bad…

Of course, having just graded my sophomores first term papers, I think a little prayer to St. Jude would be in order.

I heard that the Vatican has two skulls of St. Thomas Aquinas, one from when he was a child and one from when he was full grown.

I thought of another: St. Esprix - Patron of Vanity Searches

You know FairyChatMom, that looks a lot like the the French name for the Holy Spirit (le Saint-Esprit) :smiley:

I got another one : St. Eve : patron saint of atheists and everything cinematic.

I’ve found my new patron saint: St. Expeditus, the patron saint against procrastination. You couldn’t make up a better saint than that.

OK, maybe they did: they admit that he’s “possibly legendary.”

Damn.

I would think of a new one, but I just don’t feel like doing that right now–maybe I’ll think of something tomorrow.

Yep, there’s a patron saint for bakers. St. Honorius is one of four that has us under his wing, but he’s pretty much the only one who is actually represented with baking implements.

You trying to break our secular humanist hearts? ;D

Face it darlin’, “Secular Humanism is COOL” just doesn’t have the same ring. :wink:

Although “Humanists ROCK” does come close.

I hate you. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well esprit is the word from which I derived Esprix, although I was thinking of just the word itself (which means “vivacious cleverness or wit”), not anything spiritual.

But you may worship me if you like. :wink:

Esprix

You can’t hate me - I’m nice, dammit! (she said as she barely suppressed her giggles…)
:smiley:

I think FairyChatMom would make a wonderful *Patron Saint of warm cookies *or of apple pie in the open window.

**FairyChatMom could also be patron saint of giggles and comforting maternal bosoms.

And EddyTeddyFreddy] nominates herself for patron saint of bad coding. :o :smack: :o