You recognize someone in insurrection pics. Do you ID them?

I thought I’d see more people saying they wouldn’t. Friends of mine would likely be surprised to hear that I would, indeed I’m a little surprised myself.

Care to say more?

Of course. Possible accessories to murder must be identified, evaluated, and prosecuted as such if indicated. Not to mention sedition.

Of course. I’d be morally (if not legally) guilty of enabling them otherwise. As long as the law and punishment for a crime are just, and both more than a slap on the wrist, I have an ethical duty to report.

I’m actually trying to think how minimal a crime it would have to be before I would consider it “tattling” to report them. Maybe accidentally stealing a pen?

It’s also part of something I think I’m required to do as a Christian, so I’m also curious about @Velocity’s logic. I do have a guess due to him being a person of color, but I’d like to hear from him first.

Of course. It’s the right thing to do and I support the United States.

Chanting outside, probably not, although I’d cut contact with them. Inside the Capitol, or smashing the windows/doors of it, quite, quite yes.

Well, first I’d want to make really sure it was actually them - this is not the sort of thing you’d want to accidentally accuse an innocent person of. If this requires me to investigate personally this would probably bring the whole tattling operation to and end, because I don’t like bothering people and accusing them of sedition.

If the moron boasted/confessed to me about it themselves, then I suppose I would have to figure out who to call. The local cops don’t seem like the right agency to me.

Semi-related thought: Did the idiot posing for a picture sitting at Pelosi’s desk with his feet up on it really think he was gonna get away it?

I mean, Come On!

The fact that I’m not in the position to investigate is exactly why I would turn it over to the police. I might do some very preliminary checks like calling them and asking them what they’ve been up to, or checking on their Facebook, but I’m going to err on the side of reporting over not reporting if I genuinely recognize them.

However, you do raise the possibility that I may not be sure it’s them. That is much harder. I would probably consider how likely I thought it could be them based on what I know of them and how close it looks like them, along with the other stuff. But the choice would be much more situational.

Still, again, I am leaving more of the investigation up to the police. I’m not, say, trying to get them cancelled using Twitter. I’m currently giving law enforcement their chance.

He probably thought everybody would praise him for it, except maybe a few cucks who are too weak and cowardly to do anything. Especially not to him, who had just victoriously defeated the government in combat.

I don’t trust the police that well in cases like this…for several reasons.

Of course, given that these yahoos doubtlessly think they’re triumphant victors, I doubt I’d have to break out the waterboard to get them to talk about it, if I decided to pursue the matter.

Just using your post for jumping off:

There have been threads on this board where many (IMO far too many) people stated explicitly that they would NOT turn in family members for crimes, up to and including murder.

I expected more “not reporters”.

Has anything happened to him yet?

[Edit: Just saw a news feed that he was arrested. Good.]

Huh. I wasn’t aware of that when I asked, but I knew they would get that fool eventually.

I’d like to hear more about the people who got fired from their jobs, etc. Anyone got cites?

From CNN: People at the US Capitol riot are being identified and losing their jobs

Reuters : Some U.S. Capitol rioters fired after internet detectives identify them

Newsweek: Tech CEO Brad Rukstales, Who Stormed Capitol, Calls It Worst Decision of His Life (His company placed him on leave of absence while they decide whether to fire him)

Rukstales, the tech CEO said in that article, “I had nothing to do with charging anybody or anything like that. I was at the wrong place at the wrong time. And I regret my part in that.”

Who would have thought that traveling to Washington DC to participate in an attempt at overturning a democratic election might be something to regret?

I’m not sure I would. Unless the pic showed them engaged in violence I think I’d give them the benefit of the doubt that they got caught up with the crowd.

“Got caught up with the crowd”? So we’re supposed to believe that people traveled to Washington DC to participate in a peaceful coup d’état?

If the picture was taken inside the building, having joined the crowd in there would be bad enough for me to report them if I was certain it was them.

I don’t believe everyone there intended for it to get violent. I wouldn’t ID someone from the crowd in a BLM protest either unless the pic showed them committing a crime. Would you?

The explicit purpose of the rally and the subsequent riot was to overturn the election.