You recognize someone in insurrection pics. Do you ID them?

But the BLM protest were not supporting acts of sedition. People in the crowd on the lawn may have information about the people inside the Capitol building committing felonies. Yes they need to be identified and questioned. Nit necessarily arrested.

The first barrier was a perimeter fence around the grounds. Not much of a fence, but it was there, and was a fair distance from the building.

Barrier = “No, schmuck, forbidden to cross.”

Nor would I. I’m not a snitch, a rat or a paid informer, and I refuse to do the LEOs’ work for them. I don’t think employers should have any real right to sanction or punish people for what they do when they are off shift and on their own time, either (I understand that legally they do, and I find that attitude to be one of the most disgusting aspects of american capitalism) and would not want to go back on my own principles by getting someone fired over their non-job-related activities.

Employers can be legally liable for not exercising due care to avoid hiring or retaining employees who pose a potential danger:

Like I say, there are different degrees of potential concern here. As I’ve posted above, I don’t assume that every voter who voted for Trump is thereby automatically a raving psychopath. And even expressing explicit support for Trump on social media, along the lines of “I love the President, he’s just such a hoot!”, wouldn’t automatically ping my Dangerous-Employee meter.

But golly, if somebody’s explicitly encouraging or committing criminal acts of insurrection and other forms of terrorist violence, even if it’s strictly outside of working hours, then expecting their employer to stay aloof and say “not on my time, none of my business” is just absurd. Being a criminal insurrectionist and violent terrorist is a pretty glaring example of being “unfit for the job”.

Mind you, I’m not trying to tell you that it’s your civic duty to riffle through pictures of Capitol rioters to check if they include an acquaintance that you could turn in. If you don’t want to get involved, that’s up to you.

But I think this pious tsk-tsking about how employers really shouldn’t penalize employees for engaging in terroristic criminal acts, as long as it was off-shift, is stretching the sacred concept of worker rights a bit too far. (And that’s coming from an ardent ACLU supporter, too.)

I’d definitely say something in this scenario.

I would not waste the time of federal law enforcement by giving them information about someone unless I have information that they committed a crime. Although most or all were guilty of having bad thoughts, not everyone committed a crime. If I knew someone who broke the law I would turn them in immediately.

Presumably those who are shown in the pictures released by the FBI are at least suspected of committing a crime, and an identification (even if you’re unsure they actually did commit a crime) will allow the FBI to further its investigation.

Why would you think you are wasting law enforcements time by replying to a request for information from law enforcement itself? Perhaps these people are suspected of providing support or are just wanted for questioning. Either way there is a specific request for information. As a law enforcement officer yourself surely you must realize that the FBI isn’t going to provide detailed information to the public concerning their investigation as to not tip their hand to the people being investigated.

i[quote=“Si_Amigo, post:109, topic:930032, full:true”]
Why would you think you are wasting law enforcements time by replying to a request for information from law enforcement itself? Perhaps these people are suspected of providing support or are just wanted for questioning. Either way there is a specific request for information. As a law enforcement officer yourself surely you must realize that the FBI isn’t going to provide detailed information to the public concerning their investigation as to not tip their hand to the people being investigated.
[/quote]

The FBI is requesting assistance with identifying people who committed crimes. They are putting out pictures of those they are specifically suspected of crimes. Standing outside listening to Trump is not a crime. Walking towards the Capitol is not a crime. Having bad thoughts is not a crime. Flooding the FBI with tips about people who did not commit crimes takes them away from investigating those that did commit crimes. If you are talking about a couple of guys who might have been near a crime that’s one thing. When they are getting thousands of tips that they have to check it’s a whole different ballgame. I don’t even want to think about how many bullshit tips they have to weed through. Of course they can’t publicly say don’t bother us with bullshit but I know that’s what they are thinking.

Maybe they are showing the clearest pictures they have of people they suspect of doing things in the building and those pictures are of them on the lawn. Why assume they don’t want tips when they are asking for them? They are ID’ing people based upon what they are wearing and patches on their cloths so any information may be useful.

That and they are witnesses to an insurrection. Do not true patriots help out the call from law enforcement in this instance? If nit what does it take?

I think you misunderstand me. If the FBI releases pictures asking for help identifying someone and I knew something about it I would contact them regardless of what the released pictures show. If I saw someone on video inside the building or otherwise engaging in criminal behavior I would contact the investigating authorities. If I knew someone Jordan Klemper was talking to who was standing on The Mall waving a flag I would not contact anyone.

Purely academic at this time. As far as I know no one I am acquainted with was there. The closest I am to it is a local county official was there and posting on social media. She claims to have left when things got dicey and has turned over all her recordings to authorities.

Thank you for the clarification. So many threads flying around now its hard to keep track of which forum I am in. And I agree, no need to respond with unsolicited information. People do still have rights to express themselves properly without being harrassed.

As of two days ago they had over 50,000 tips. Who knows how many bad tips. I don’t know but I suspect most of their cases will be built through more high tech means.

This is a real issue for some families:

I hope that the FBI tested the feces for DNA evidence before it was cleaned up. Then, after charging the owner of said DNA with insurrection,etc, charged them with a huge cleaning fee as well.

Absolutely. They are terrorists.

Would you report someone who plotted 9/11.