[QUOTE=Rilchiam]
I do not want to discuss what happened to LVGeo, whether or not she’s good at her job, whether or not her manager should have been angry before or after the statement, whether or not his actions were illegal, or any of that. I just want to know what the consensus is on the statement, “You will not speak to me in that way again.” IOW, would you have said it if someone cursed at you at work?
[/QUOTE]
Okay, having started to read the other thread (I stopped when it got sidetracked onto prosecution-worthy actions), I think a lot of people in this thread, including the OP, have done exactly what the OP said they didn’t want - discuss the statement in the context of events in the other thread.
So, taking the statement at face value - IMHO, it’s a confrontational statement, and one that has little teeth if you personally aren’t actually in a position to push for enforcement of the consequences. It especially doesn’t do a lot of good in a work setting if you’re saying it to anyone but an equal. If you are the subordinate saying it to a superior, it’s a threat to go over the other person’s head and damage them with their superiors (and anyone who’s been in a corporate setting will be familiar with “chain of command” issues). If you are actually the superior, it makes you look ineffective because (again with chain of command stuff) you are essentially admitting you can’t control the folks who work for you and you have to appeal to a higher authority. Sometimes the situation is so bad you can’t help but take drastic measures, but an immediate escalation is usually not the best course of action.
Now, in the particular case that prompted this OP - I don’t think the woman should have just sat there and accepted a strong of curses from her supervisor. I do think that waiting for him to cool off before trying to have a more rational discussion might have been better, although if he has a bug up his butt over her for whatever reason a confrontation requiring upper management intervention was probably inevitable.
However, I also recognize that it’s very easy to be levelheaded while I sit here and drink my coffee, since I’m not the one taken by surprise by an unexpected inappropriate outburst. Don’t we all have times when we wished we could have handled something differently?
FWIW, I have had people - specifically, a former boss - go off on me at work all out of proportion to the triggering event, in front of other people, so I have learnt the hard way how to cope with certain personality types in a way that I can live with, too. As with many things in life, YMMV.