Young people do not wear watches anymore.

The time still shows up even if the reception is cut off. At least, it does on my phone.

The last time I wore a wristwatch was when I was cellphone-less in Europe, funnily enough. I have rather slender wrists, so buying a watch is a pain because I usually have to get it adjusted (I prefer the ones that look like bracelets, not the ones with cloth/leather/plastic wristbands).

Wear watch every day.
Unless I am swimming or something similar.
Wear “nice” ones for accessories.
Thisis my watch.
If I had money I’d have tons of watches.
Wish more guys wore them, nice watches on men are sexy.

I’m 25, and I wear a watch quite frequently, but mostly at work, where I don’t necessarily have access to a clock right in front of me all the time. I find it easier for me to wear a watch than have my cell phone on me, but I’m not heavily dependent on my phone being near me or being on as a lot of people my age seem to be. I just don’t talk a lot on the phone, but have it as I don’t have a “landline” for people to contact me on.

I’m 47 and I’ve never worn a wristwatch. I’ve occassionally carried a pocket watch, but generally I just know what time it is to about 5-10 minutes. Watches speed up then die when I wear them, so after the first one or two, I just stopped.

StG

I’m in my early 20s, and I wear a watch every day. Pretty much always on, except sometimes I take it off while working at the computer if it’s bugging me. This is my watch.

And “young people” do not carry cell phones and leave them turned off.

I haven’t worn a wristwatch for decades. My cellphone serves as one now, but a long time ago a friend pointed out how uneccessary it was to carry your own timepiece. Clocks are everywhere. In the dash of a car, in the office, outside many buildings.

But many clocks aren’t set to the right time. How did he handle that?

“Look for two and average them. You’re bound to be close.”

Which reminds me of the three wristwatches Curly of the Three Stooges used to wear, all showing different times. “I take the first time, add the second, and divide by the third.”

“So what time is it, smart guy?”

{pulls out pocket watch} “Eleven-thirty.”

I’m 24 and I stopped wearing my watch a couple of years ago.

It was just getting annoying. If I was at work, I was in front of a computer which had the time. If I was in the car, I had the time. If I was on the bus, I had my cell.

+1

I stopped wearing a watch while in my late teens.

You’d be surprised at how good you get at using other cues to know the time - after a year without a watch, I could usually give you a time that was approx 10 mins from the real time, give or take. For the record, I didn’t even have a cell phone until 2001, which means I wasn’t carrying an alternative to a watch for a good 7 years or so.

Like Musicat, I’d just depend on the clocks that are everywhere - on the subway, on payphones, on the microwave, on signboards.

I stopped wearing a watch about 18 months ago when I lost it in a bicycle accident. The type of watch I’d like to buy is more expensive than I can justify so I get by without one most of the time. I’m a pilot so according to my company rules I’m supposed to have one. During general work duties I do without (there are three independant time sources in the cockpit already, one of which is extremely accurate, the other two are set off the accurate one each day.) When I have a check flight I borrow one from my wife so I can be seen to be following the letter of the law.

I’m 33 by the way, so not a cultural thing, I just can’t be fucked looking for a watch. I’m tempted to get an old style pocket watch.

I like watches, and I don’t always have my cell-phone physically on me (usually in a bag or something). So, while it doesn’t bother me not to have a watch on, it is convenient, and some of them are very stylish. I have several in different styles and wear them as accessories.

Pepper Mill pretty much uses her cell phone as a watch anymore, and she’s older than 1920s Style Death Ray

Remember pagers? Back when people had to wear pagers for work, I stopped wearing a watch. I was terrible at keeping up with one - don’t know how many I lost - and the pager was so handy, right there and with its little face looking up showing the time. I found out that a lot of people also used their pager to tell time instead of wearing a watch.

That led right into using the phone to tell time, for me.

Yeah, I don’t think I’ve ever turned my cell phone off. I’m not exaggerating either.

Mine is rarely on, for a couple of reasons.

If I’m in my normal routine, I can be reached at work or home. Or people can leave a message at either place.

I get very bad reception at home. It goes in and out so I think it’s constantly searching. battery life is very short.

If out of town, or meeting up with some folks I turn it on. Otherwise, it’s just handy for calling out when a land line is not handy (I hate talking on them, it’s like a two way radio conversation, and always seems to be bad reception.)

What is this “payphones” of which you speak?

I haven’t worn a watch in forever. I prefer wearing the bracelet my parents bought me in Italy a few years ago. I use my iPod for the time if I’m somewhere out of sight of a clock.

I use my cell phone to tell the time; the alternative would be to keep my watch in my pocket or purse, because my skin is so sensitive it irritates my wrist. I have my grandmother’s brooch-style watch, but few of my clothes are heavy enough to support the weight of it, plus I don’t want to take the risk of damaging it. It’s easier just to look at the cell.

This is a rare situation that not everybody will encounter, but I’ll post it anyway:

I just finished final exams. One of the rules, as you might imagine, is “no working electronics in the exam room.” This includes cellphones–oh, you can have yours with you, but it must be off. Heaven help the person whose phone rings during an exam; I’ve known one person whose phone did, and there were academic repercussions. But all exam rooms have clocks, so a personal timepiece, whether watch or cellphone, is not essential.

I’ve always worn a wristwatch. I’ve worn one for so long that if I don’t have it on, something just feels wrong.

A nice wristwatch appeals to my masculine sense of aesthetics. I’d like to have an automatic with a display back so I can appreciate the intricate precision workings, but for now a couple nice quartz ones will do. Unfortunately I seem to have developed an intermittent allergy to metal bands, so at some point I’ll have to replace my watches with ones with leather or (good quality) rubber bands.

I went over to pocket watches some years ago. Mobile phones are good, but there are many places where using a mobile phone will result in Nasty Things Happenning.

To my knowledge, the first wristwatches were made for tank commanders in WW1 - they were too cramped and didn’t have time to pull a watch out of their pocket, so they took women’s watches and soldered the loops on the top and bottom and strung a ribbon or cloth through them to tie them to their wrist. So it was more a practical necessity - that was picked up as a cool afterwards, probably sorta like khakis coming out of WWII.

45, stopped wearing wristwatches over the past couple of years. My parents were antique collectors and dealers and my dad had an extensive collection of pocket and wrist watches. I always assumed I would collect - and that I would be one of those Trophy Watch Guys™ - who has some sort of fancy Swiss watch with lots of complications - for a time, I was circling a number of models.

But when push comes to shove, I agree with other posters who simply hate the feeling of wearing one - of all jewelry for that matter. Heck, I would wear my wedding ring around my neck on a chain if I could…