[QUOTE=friedo]
I don’t remember making that mistake, but I don’t have the ability or inclination to defend myself.
[/QUOTE]
Or the wherewithal.
Farnsworth: Off you go, apparantly.
The scene in the garbage asteroid episode where they receive a radio transmission from Jupiter (or somewhere) reporting the asteroid’s passing, the operator gagging and choking, has never failed to crack me up.
[QUOTE=Onomatopoeia]
It’s been at least a year since I saw this episode, and I don’t remember the name, but my favorite Futurama episode is the one where Leela and Fry get harpooned on the Planet Express ship by a bee’s stinger, which “ostensibly” causes Fry’s death. Leela, distraught and guilt-ridden keeps seeing Fry in her dreams and believes she’s slowly going crazy. In her dreams, Leela’s comforted by Fry, who continually asks her to “wake up.” That episode gave me chills, and kind of choked me up because I wasn’t expecting what happened at the end.
[/QUOTE]
“The Sting” - Way more touching than Jurassic Bark, in my opinion, but I know I’m in the minority here.
I also like the line in the Fry’s grandfather episode when fry said “Does anybody else taste blue?”
[/QUOTE]
All’s well that Roswell
I believe that is the title and it won an Emmy.
Fry :“Look out you fool, you almost got ran over by that truck”
Fry’s Grandpa : “We’ll thanks stranger. Good thing this pile of rusty bayonettes broke my fall”
funny funny
Ohh, the episode where Bender and the ship date is not only one of my favorites for being so funny but also because of the scene where Fry coughs up a candy heart that says “You leave me breathless” after giving his air to Leela. The weak smile he gives after she reads it is among the things that makes Futurama worthy of its fame.
Being the softie I am, I’ve really enjoyed the episodes that got me choked up. Jurassic Bark, Luck of the Fryrish, The Sting, the final episode (whatever it was called), “You Leave Me Breathless,” and the message Fry wrote in the stars that got sucked into the black hole.
I always loved Futurama’s compound insults. If the Professor called Fry an idiot, you’d think it was just frustration. But when he calls Fry “you smelly idiot,” or “ignorant dope,” you get a sense of malice that makes it so much funnier.
[QUOTE=Derleth] Bender: Life is hilariously cruel.
[/quote]
"Comedy is a dead art form. Now tragedy, that’s funny.
[QUOTE=Vagus]
Fry drinks his hundredth cup of coffee.
Just his nod of understanding as time slows down is perfect.
[/QUOTE]
The sequence after Fry is propelled into a state of hyper-reality by the 100th cup of coffee is probably my favorite Futurama moment, although it’s not particularly funny. The animation is beautiful – we see a slow motion shot of a cork popping out of a bottle; a hummingbird gently flapping its wings; flames twisting and turning like paper in a slow breeze. A beautiful haunting score plays in the background and we get a sense that Fry has achieved, if only for a few microseconds, a state of pure nirvana.
It’s a perfect payoff to the “coffee counter” gag that runs through the entire episode, which I really didn’t think was going anywhere.
What I love about Futurama is the fact that it could be at times silly, esoterically geeky, action-packed, emotionally wrenching, and awe-inspiring – all without seeming the least bit incongruent.
Zoidberg is probably the funniest character on that show. No matter how developed the others ones are, his responses and general lack of self confidence, self control, or self respect always makes me laugh.
Dr. Zoidberg: I wasn’t wearing it. I was eating it.
[QUOTE=Marley23]
I always loved Futurama’s compound insults. If the Professor called Fry an idiot, you’d think it was just frustration. But when he calls Fry “you smelly idiot,” or “ignorant dope,” you get a sense of malice that makes it so much funnier.
[/QUOTE]
This brought to mind another one often repeated here at EE HQ: “Your big stupid face is as dumb as a butt!”
[QUOTE=Kayeby]
From Fear of a Bot Planet when Fry and Leela are trying to infiltrate the robot city and the guard robots are trying to figure out whether they are human:
[/QUOTE]
Some other good ones from the same episode:
In the horror film about humans - “Our most powerful magnetic fields were useless..but in the end all it took was a harmless pointed stick”.
And the counsel of robots yelling “SILENCE!!” whenever a new one starts speaking.
Bender as a Pharoh on the Egyptian planet was great too
Fry: I just made out with that radiator women from the radiator planet.
Leela: Fry, that’s a radiator.
Fry: Oh…in that case, is there a burn ward within ten feet of here?
Amazon #1: You want die like last men who visit Amazonia?
Fry: What did they die of?
Amazon #2: Crushed Pelvises
Zapp: Thank you Lord in heaven!
And the position of the skeletons, complete with ciggarettes, makes the scene so hilarious.
Zapp: Please! The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
In “The deep south” the professor accidentaly douses himself in fish phermones, and Zoidberg prompty starts sucking on the profs head, saying “I am SO into you.” Still makes me laugh thinking about it.