Your Likelihood of Leaving the US if Donald Trump Is Elected POTUS

People who actually leave over a Trump victory renounce having an opinion I give a shit about. Stay and fight for what you believe in if you want to be a person whose opinion matters. If you leave, then have the courtesy to stfu about anything that happens here after you bail out. Oh…and if you do bail out, plase don’t ever come back. We have enough people who buckle under pressure already.

With due respect, please have a little more respect for other people’s difficulties. There are some problems that an individual can’t solve.

Signed, one who left.

Knowing Dr. Drake somewhat in real life, I have to say that he left the USA for good reasons, and not all were because X,Y, or Z was president. The composition of the Supreme Court and Congress probably had more to do with it. (So, a Mondale win in 1984 may have been better for him staying in the USA than Obama in 2008/2012) As a Canadian I am thrilled he is here, not in the USA, (we gained two brilliant Canadians here: your loss!). On the other hand, career-wise, the move has not been all sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows. People who emigrate/immigrate usually have personal reasons that may or may not be dependent upon who holds executive power. Unless you are a refugee from a war zone your reasons to leave vs. to stay are not always simple.

With all due respect, you left. As far as I am concerned, you are no longer a part of what happens here. You, apparently, are part of what happens in Canada.

Great. But according to American rules, I am still a citizen and still must file taxes annually. Since you retain a stake in me, I get to have a stake in you: I still vote.

I won’t leave the country, but I might take on an Amish lifestyle. The prospect of that face and voice being inescapable for four years fills me with despair.

To be fair, X, Y, and Z were the absolute worst presidents in all of U.S. history. Z’s reign was especially bad, because Canadians/Brits kept calling him “Zed” for some reason and it was very annoying to hear them mispronouncing it in the international news clips*.
*Just kidding. As if an American would watch international news broadcasts!

I want to, but here’s the problem: Where would I move? Will any other countries take me? Don’t they all have Trumpian immigration policies?

My experience is Americans who leave America supposedly due to the country’s choice of president are just a bunch of wankers looking for any excuse to go somewhere they can act like overgrown frat boys.

I’ll actually be returning to America soon, President Trump or no President Trump, although I deeply wish for the latter.

My wife has several job offers in South America we’ve at least talked about taking them if Trump or Cruz gets elected. I doubt we will since they aren’t in wonderful places but it depends on how bad we think things will get here.

I remember a friend in Albuquerque during Bush Sr’s term – that’s George HW mind you, not even Dubya – who warned anyone who would listen that they needed to keep their passports up to date, because you never knew when Bush’s storm troopers would come kicking down your door. Oh please. Lost track of him, but he’s probably shitting bricks right now considering the present threatening situation.

As horrifying as it sounds, Trump winning the election would not cause me to flee to another country. I want to be there and see how badly he screws things up.

You can watch just as easily from north of the border. We have internet tubes and everything!

Just sayin’

I think it’s more likely that conditions Trump causes by his popularity and policies would make me want to move. The sole fact of his Presidency wouldn’t be enough.