What will you do if Trump wins in November?

I know I would be mad as hell. My first instinct is to leave the country, but I wouldn’t realistically know where to go or how to do it. If there is evidence of a steal, I would definitely support demonstrations. I don’t know what else to do except endure 4 years (if we’re lucky) of a Trump reign. I just can’t imagine what kind of country we’d have left.

What will you do if he wins?

I will lose all faith in the future of society as we know it. Other than that, I will cling to the hope that the checks and balances we have in our branches of government can keep the Orange One from completely ruining America.

And, I think we can’t stress this enough: VOTE! Not just in the presidential election, but in every single election. From school board, to town council, to Governor and beyond, they’re all important.

You can’t just move to another country. Other countries have immigration laws too, many much stricter than ours. You pretty much need to be very wealthy, have a skill that they need or a familial tie.

I don’t know. I won’t be able to talk to people for a while. Luckily I live in a rural area and I have a lot of vacation time saved up. So step one is “go home.”

Honestly? Nothing. That’s all far beyond my control. I’m going to control what I can in my little fiefdom, and hope things don’t get too fucked up in the next four years.

Certainly will postpone plans for a return trip stateside
Might even go on some tourism jaunt in one of those “shithole countries” instead, just out of spite.

I could actually get resident alien status in the country my grandparents came from. Unfortunately that country is ruled by this guy.

Frying pan, meet fire.

Yep. That’s my adopted country. Lived there from 98-03. Loved it. I can probably find my way back if I wanted to. No thanks.

Trump winning is not likely to have any practical effect on me personally, aside from high blood pressure and more internalized ughh. But I am not going to make a decision to move or not move in/out of the country or switch jobs or anything based off of him.

I could get dual US-Taiwan citizenship very easily, and in fact plan to do so this year or next year. But the reason I haven’t moved to Taiwan is because of the lack of income/job issue. For better or worse, $$$$ compels me to remain in America, regardless of Trump.

I’ve got family back on Guam, and would have no trouble finding a small house to retire to, far away from the far-right bullshit artists and hatemongers. It has been far to long since I’ve gotten to say “Hafa Adai!” to a neighbor.

I think I qualify for Slovak citizenship but I don’t know if they’re a much better choice overall than Trumpistan, and all my stuff is here sooooo…I’ll stick around and continue fight like hell. Marginalized people will definitely need allies.

What will I do? Be unhappy. Probably nothing more than that.

I will cry.

And then find some demonstrations.

And, always, vote. At least, as long as they hold votes.

I ain’t going nowhere. They’ll have to shoot me on my own ground, if they’re going to.

I have the UK, which has only yet been wrong within normal parameters, but I’ve already decided I’m staying whatever happens. This is home now and those ignorant fucks are not going to chase me out. I’m applying for citizenship this year, so you can add one vote.

The same thing as last time, I guess. Eat-sleep-and-breathe politics for four years and do a lot of volunteering for stuff. Teach the hell out of some plays with mad kings and demagoguery. I don’t suppose it will be very different from before, except I’ll be eight years older and tired of this shit.

Pretty much this. Be thankful that I’m a middle-aged white guy and that I live in a solid blue state with a Democratic supermajority legislature to help shield me from the worst of it.

That doesn’t mean I shouldn’t (or won’t) be mindful of others less privileged or work to assist, but I’ll personally be able to afford to keep my despair at workable levels as we (hopefully) get through it.

I was surprised to see, a few days ago, that there have been over 100,000 people born in the USA resident in Australia every year since 2013. So it isn’t hard for you to come here I guess.

Remember the Evil Clown Outbreak of 2016? Then they all disappeared except that creepy orange one. I guess I’ll just have to be patient until he joins the rest of them.

I won’t disagree with the caution about “just” moving, but I will say that it can be accomplished, because I did. The morning after the election in November 2016, my wife and I agreed that we would leave the US. We were already thinking about it for many reasons, but the election was the final, very emphatic nail. Several months of extremely difficult work followed. In July 2017, we put our lives into shipping containers for the cross-Atlantic handlers, and in August, we got on a plane ourselves.

It is not easy. It is not trivial. It takes many, many months of deliberate, concerted effort, week after week, solving many problems and jumping through many hoops. It also, I readily concede, demands many personal prerequisites: money, chiefly — we drained thousands out of our accounts making this happen — but also a transferrable career. (I work in tech, which is essentially borderless. Compare a friend of mine who was investigating a move at the same time; he’s a lawyer, which is one of the least transferrable fields imaginable. He could have done the necessary work, but he chose not to.) At the same time, though, we had our own obstacles which would be irrelevant for others: we have kids, so we also needed to transfer schooling, and more importantly my wife was born in Iran and naturalized as an American citizen, leading to a much higher bar for security screening to get approval to immigrate.

But it can be done. I am proof. And we have no meaningful regrets; this is a net positive by a wide, wide margin, and for anyone who has the means and opportunity, we recommend it.

As far as how we’ll be affected if Trump wins in November, we expect three impacts: (a) We were planning a trip to visit the States next summer; this will probably be canceled. (b) We’ve begun the process of becoming naturalized citizens in our new home, but we’re dragging our heels a bit; we will buckle down and get it done. (c) We expect lots of Europeans to confront us, asking, how is this possible, what are your compatriots thinking, why did America do this insane thing, can’t your people see how dangerous and destructive he is. We already get this, but we’ll get a lot more in the wake of a re-election.

I am a Canadian citizen, but I dunno if we’re gonna move there.