Zeugma

If you need a definition and some samples go here and if you can think of any better practitioner than Groucho, please mention whoever it is or was.

But the thread is for collecting or inventing some new examples.

If your contribution is from some other source, please at least identify that source.

Be creative!

To be fair, it’s really the subset of Zeugma called Syllepsis that I thought we could have some fun with, and to save linking time, here a few samples from the Wikipedia article:

“Let’s get out of these wet clothes and into some dry martinis.” – Robert Benchley
[Lots more Benchley quotes, including similar figures of speech, here.

“There are going to be fewer but better Russians.” – Garbo in Ninotchka, screenwriters Lengyel, Brackett, Wilder and Reisch.

“Four of fish and finger pies…” – “Penny Lane,” Lennon & McCartney

[Surely a concise example, if it qualifies, but I think it does, given the mix of food and sexual references, played for wit.]

“because sex is an aggressive, warlike, competitive, feral thing, all full of bared teeth, bared breasts, bared souls, bared blades, and bare naked.”

(from a book of poetry I wrote 4 or 5 years ago. No titles - this was on page 13.)

Is that the kind of thing you meant?

Certainly in the ballpark. :slight_smile:

He rode in glory and a motorcar.

Is this one a zeugma?

Your phone’s off the hook, but you’re not. --X (the band)

Huh. I never knew this these things had a name.

Rolling Stones,* Honky Tonk Women*. “She blew my nose and then she blew my mind.”