The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 02-12-2005, 06:45 AM

Vulva's sensitivity to pain

The title says it all really, does anyone know how sensitive the vulva (labia, clitoris etc) is to pain? I used to think it wasn't that sensitive but experience with my ex-girlfriend suggests othewise. (She got kicked by her little brother for stopping him teasing the cat and her reaction was pretty extreme)
Advertisements  
Old 02-12-2005, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Dude, it's VERY sensitive to pain... the reason it's not more obvious is that the female genitalia is better protected from random trauma than testicles are.

The clitoris, as an example, has as many nerve endings as a penis, and is just as sensitive. It's also a much smaller "target", and again, less likely to be victim to random trauma.

A direct blow to the female bits hurts like the dickens and likely would result in the woman curled up on the floor whimpering "mommy!". But like I said, it's a lot harder to get a direct blow in that case.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Both male and female genitals are loaded with nerve endings. It's hard to find an area of the body that is more sensitive to stimulus (hands, fingers, tongue, and lips are in that league).

Here's a homunculus where size indicates greater sensitivity:

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/neuro_majors/homunculus.htm
Old 02-12-2005, 10:10 AM

Anything that's sensitive to pleasure is sensitive to pain. How fun is it for you to get kicked in the crotch?

As Broomstick points out, it's just harder to hit the really sensitive areas on a female body. The external part of the labia majora is fairly desensitized from rubbing against clothes and those tend to provide some cushioning for the more sensitive bits. But when you score a direct hit to the inner part of the vulva (like you, say, lose your balance climbing over a fence and land a-straddle it), it HURTS. And if you manage to have a direct hit on the clitoris, we're talking "oh god I'm going to pass out, puke, and shit my pants all at the same time" quality pain.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:58 AM

Once, when I was twelve or so, for some reason I was riding a friend's brother's bike. And then I slipped off the seat somehow, landing on the bar.

OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2005, 11:27 AM

The vulva is the same tissue that on a male fetus would become the scrotum.

Is your scrotum sensitive to pain?
Old 02-12-2005, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady
Anything that's sensitive to pleasure is sensitive to pain. How fun is it for you to get kicked in the crotch?
[inexact analogy police] CCL, the bits that are most sensitive to pain aren't sensitive to pleasure, in our case[/iap]
Old 02-12-2005, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsofia
The vulva is the same tissue that on a male fetus would become the scrotum.

Is your scrotum sensitive to pain?
Scrotum? Not immensely. Kinda itchy if you have a seam crossways on it. It's the testes that cause the major aggro.

(Sorry for the consecutive posts but Zsofia's post wasn't there before my first reply.)
Old 02-12-2005, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malacandra
Scrotum? Not immensely. Kinda itchy if you have a seam crossways on it.
You've obviously never had a scrotal laceration or bite wound, or you would not dismiss scrotal pain so lightly.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:13 PM

Quote:
[inexact analogy police] CCL, the bits that are most sensitive to pain aren't sensitive to pleasure, in our case[/iap]
So, you're saying that someone sinking their teeth into the head of your penis isn't going to hurt like a bitch? I was referring to the concentration of nerve endings in the area, not the particular bits that hurt more or less than other bits. If an area is sensitive, it's sensitive to good and bad.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan
Both male and female genitals are loaded with nerve endings. It's hard to find an area of the body that is more sensitive to stimulus (hands, fingers, tongue, and lips are in that league).

Here's a homunculus where size indicates greater sensitivity:

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/neuro_majors/homunculus.htm
Okay, but the first time I saw that illustration I thought (as I am thinking now): why isn't the genital area huge? That area seems even more sensitive than lips and fingers.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:46 PM

And don't forget that BONE right beneath our tender bits--with fairly little cushioning. If we slip and straddle a balance beam or get kicked by a hard shoe, it's rather similar to smashing a finger between two bricks! Yeeowch!

When I was about eight years old, I was walking an iron see-saw frame (the see-saws had been removed) and slipped, landing with a CRUNCH. Yeah, it hurt like hell. I was relatively uninjured, so I was able to walk home, but at bathtime I discovered my panties were full of blood. I had no external injuries, and the bleeding stopped, so Mom figured that I must have ruptured my hymen. Years later, I asked a doctor about it, during my first pelvic exam (I was still a virgin)--she checked, and while it was still somewhat intact, the hymen had suffered some definite injury. (I can't help but feel that sex would've been a better way to have done that, though!)

Having said that, however, in a fight, I think you'd get more mileage out of a good old-fashioned titty-punch!
Old 02-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So, you're saying that someone sinking their teeth into the head of your penis isn't going to hurt like a bitch? I was referring to the concentration of nerve endings in the area, not the particular bits that hurt more or less than other bits. If an area is sensitive, it's sensitive to good and bad.
Yes, but nowhere NEAR as much as a tap on the stones. I've had surface damage to my penis and my scrotum, and it hurt, but the testicles open up whole new worlds of pain.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Nobody has answered the OP's question!

>does anyone know how sensitive the vulva (labia, clitoris etc) is to pain?

Yes. 3,000,000,000 people do.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:54 PM

And some people more than others.

*has gone bareback riding, once, would rather not repeat that experience*
Old 02-12-2005, 02:26 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nametag
Yes, but nowhere NEAR as much as a tap on the stones. I've had surface damage to my penis and my scrotum, and it hurt, but the testicles open up whole new worlds of pain.
Yeah, gotta throw down with this. I've had more than my fair share of gential bang ups, including, on one memorable occasion, a burn from a lighter (it's been a memorable life so far) but NOTHING I've experienced comes close to a solid shot to the testes. It's pass out see stars wish to die painful.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I get the impression that women think the guy "kicked-in-the-crotch" pain has something to do with the penis, which it really doesn't. It's all about the testes. Not scrotum, zsofia. I can pinch my scrotum for hours and it's mildly uncomfortable. Swift pressure on the glans penis (analogue of the glans clitoris) is Very Bad, but slow squeezing is just annoying.

Any undue pressure on the testes themselves will send a guy hopping away if he's even able to move. The exact female analogue would be the ovaries; would any woman care to tell me the last time she got kicked in those was?

The OP was answered: the glans clitoris is as sensitive as the glans penis. The rest of the vulva is as sensitive as any other mucuous membrane (usually pretty sensitive). In terms of "trauma" (where the discussion quickly ran to) I've yet to see a convincing argument that getting hit square in the clitoris is comparable to getting hit in the testes rather than in the head of the penis.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:21 PM

Quote:
You may care to try rereading what I actually wrote. And yes, I've had a knee catch me on the end of my knob (my sister should not have been taught how to defend herself from "being attacked" if she was going to misuse it, but fortunately for me she did it incompetently) and I have had a hand-thrown tennis ball hit me in the pods, and I know which I'd take again like a shot.

Quadg, I've yet to have a severe bite or laceration anywhere, but I do know that my dick and my scrote can stand about 100x the rough handling that my nuts can...
Old 02-12-2005, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathochist
The exact female analogue would be the ovaries; would any woman care to tell me the last time she got kicked in those was?
Actually, I'm pretty sure I have - walked into a doorknob, anyway. I imagine that's what it was because I reacted surprisingly similarly to the guys I've seen get hit in the nuts.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quadg, I've yet to have a severe bite or laceration anywhere, but I do know that my dick and my scrote can stand about 100x the rough handling that my nuts can...
If you're ever given a choice between a crush injury to your gonads and a crush injury to your glans, and you must pick one, pick the crush injury to your gonads.

Trust me on this.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP
The title says it all really, does anyone know how sensitive the vulva (labia, clitoris etc) is to pain?
(Bolding added)

This struck me as a rather clueless way to state this question. I figure that at least half of the Doper membership is virtually certain to know the answer to this one!
Old 02-12-2005, 05:43 PM

Quote:
If you're ever given a choice between a crush injury to your gonads and a crush injury to your glans, and you must pick one, pick the crush injury to your gonads.

Trust me on this.
Of course I trust you. You're a doctor. However, for anything less extreme than a crush injury (cause unstated) I know which acts up more. I can take and enjoy, and not in a masochistic way, a good hard sustained squeeze on my JT which, applied to the family jewels, would probably render me unconscious or at least wishing I was.

Incidentally, I plan on staying out of prison and so not being invited to actually choose between the two.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:48 PM

While I think he's looking for some sort of study, regarding just how sensitive it is, I will add my $0.02.
Had my hood peirced, didn't hurt much.
Goalkeeper, got hit in the ovarian region a lot before I got protectors. The kind of I want to hurl, passing out kind of pain.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Trust me on this.
Could you expand on that a bit? Is the crush injury to the glans more painful, or more likely to result in permanent damage, or what?

Somebody mentioned the ovaries being the analog to the testicles in the sensitivity-to-relatively-minor-bumpings-and-pressures department. I was with my wife when she was having a gynecological exam in preparation for her endometrial surgery, and the gynecologist was feeling her uterus by pushing it up from the inside (using some kind of vaginally-inserted implement) and then palpating them through her abdomen.

She was extemely uncomfortable, of course, but she was tolerating it, until he started doing the palpation. Then she shrieked and tried to get away. He apologized and said that he had accidentally hit an ovary instead of her uterus, and said that the ovaries are just as sensitive to bumps and small pressures as the testicles are. Having received a few shots to the groin in my day, I sympathized with her. And she sure reacted like I did when I experienced testicular pain.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathochist
Any undue pressure on the testes themselves will send a guy hopping away if he's even able to move. The exact female analogue would be the ovaries; would any woman care to tell me the last time she got kicked in those was?

No, I'm not going to explain. Same damn pair of fools will try out the same position with the same result, and I don't think it's ethical to tell people how to hurt themselves or their dates.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

When I had my vascetomy operation, the supposedly self-dissolving stitches closing the incision front centre of my scrotum DIDN't self-dissolve, but just stayed there while the skin sort of grew around them; they were very uncomfortable and the doc refused to do anything (actually, he said "come back in six months if they're still not gone"). They were causing me considerable discomfort, so I removed them myself; this involved digging away a bit at the skin in order to get hold of the stitches with tweezers and cut them. I bled a little and it was painful, but no more painful than, say, digging a splinter out of my finger.

A moderate rap or flick to the testicles, however, is incredibly painful; a kick or hard impact is incapacitating - ladies, the blokes aren't lying about this one; the scrotum or any part of the penis is not the most sensitive of the dangly bits; it's the nuts.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick

No, I'm not going to explain. Same damn pair of fools will try out the same position with the same result, and I don't think it's ethical to tell people how to hurt themselves or their dates.
Please explain. I'm sure there's many people here who are not going to use this to hurt someone, but how to avoid hurting someone! By the sounds of it you and your accomplice tried out a position, and found that it hurt a lot. I'm going to guess that there's other people here who will get the same bright idea you did, except they might have read this and remembered that it's not such a good idea after all.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeropl
Okay, but the first time I saw that illustration I thought (as I am thinking now): why isn't the genital area huge? That area seems even more sensitive than lips and fingers.
At the risk of opening up a whole 'nother can of worms, possibly because the kinds of sensations that can be felt by the genitals are fairly specific, and (in the case of men) may have been surgically diminished at birth or later. I mean honestly, we don't explore the world with our genitals. They are wired to experience certain specific sensations....but I've heard of blind people who had no hands, learning to read Braille with their tongues. I really doubt (ahem) a blind man with no hands could read Braille with the end of his penis. Sensitive, yes, but it's just a different kid of sensitivity.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeropl

From here with a similar discussion

Quote:
The mapping represents amount of sensory cortex, which I think translates to resolution better than intensity. The penis/clit has lots of nerves, but I don't think either one has very good spatial resolution.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
You've obviously never had a scrotal laceration or bite wound, or you would not dismiss scrotal pain so lightly.
Child's play my good man, compared to electrolysis.

And I can testify from personal experience that the scrotal sac is indeed quite sensitive to pain even in the absense of testes.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterabbit
Once, when I was twelve or so, for some reason I was riding a friend's brother's bike. And then I slipped off the seat somehow, landing on the bar.

OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!
Happened to me too, 'cept I was maybe around 5 or so and it was on my grandpa's (or was it my uncle's?) bicycle. It was really painful.

Much worse though, is the pain of breasts getting hit. My mom was hit on one of her breasts with a round doorknob when she was a young adult. I've hit myself there by accident before (though the impact was nowhere near as strong) and it was painful in a way that would make me shudder at the mere memory of it. I actually cannot imagine getting hit in the gonads to be any more painful than getting hit in the breasts.

Have any fellow females here bumped into a doorknob or anything? Wasn't it painful?
Old 02-13-2005, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision of Love
Much worse though, is the pain of breasts getting hit.
This makes sense to me, especially as compared with injuries to the glans (penis/clitoris). Testes and breasts are (at least in part) gland tissue which needs to be preserved and it makes sense that your body would warn you strongly "don't hurt that!"