You theiving cunt

Last week was lab week. Sort of a lab worker appreciation week that management throws every year as a thank you for all the hard work the peole in the lab do. Lunch every day, raffles, games, that kind of thing. A good time is had by all, and it’s one of the reasons I like the place I work so much.

At any rate. Our file clerk, a very nice kid who knocks himself out every day, won a boom box. A fairly nice one. I thought to myself “how cool, because the antenna’s busted on the old one he has. He’ll be so stoked!” (He wasn’t there, had already left for the day when we raffled it off.)

Well. The day ends, and one of my coworkers tells me “So. Did you see what Joan did?” I’m a little scared to ask what, as this woman is drama waiting to happen. I say “nooo…” and wait for it.

Joan picked up Elliott’s boom box and offered to carry it upstairs for him. His manager says fine, thanks, that’d be great. Does she do this? Yes and no. She carries it upstairs. And puts it under her desk! And leaves a note on Elliott’s monitor: “Come see me Monday.” Why, you ask? Well, see, she’s upset. She only won a $20 gift cert from Best Buy. She didn’t feel that was enough. So she is going to give Elliott the option of taking either the boom box or the gift cert. Because, you see, he already has a boom box. And, she doesn’t.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

WHAT??? HE WON IT, YOU THEIVING CUNT! Not you! He’s 17 years old. He’s a nice, polite kid. You’re a harpy. If you push it, he won’t stand up for himself. He’ll say, “fine, Joan, take the radio, thank you for the gift cert.” And that will be that. You know that. That’s why you did it! GAH!! So, I thought about it all weekend. Either I stick my big nose in where it doesn’t belong (and feel like crap for doing it), or I let the kid get screwed (in which case I feel like crap for not saying anything). I get in a good two hours before she does. (yes, she does report to me, btw). I took her some paperwork to finish up, looked down and saw the boom box there under her desk. And got totally pissed off. What a SHIT thing to do! Who does that? So, I went and put it on Elliott’s chair. And send him an email. “Congratulations! You won!”

Joan comes in. And immediately goes over to my coworker and asks “Where’s my boom box? WTF?” I say “Oh. Joan, I saw you brought that up for Elliott. Thank you. I put it on his desk.” “You WHAT?? Why would you do that? I was going to give him the option of taking the gift cert or the boom box!” “But Joan. He won it.” “But he HAS one!” “Yes, the antenna’s broken. But that’s not the point. The point is, He. Won. It. It’s his.” She scowls. “Fine. Just fine. Whatever.” And flounces off. Coworker is trying to laugh as silently as possible. She’s shaking. Coworker #2 has her office door closed, and emails me that she had to, or Joan would hear her laughing.

Look. I get that you wanted it. But, dammit. Can’t you just go get yourself one? You won a $20 gift cert. Go to Best Buy. With that, you can probably get the same exact one for the card and another $20. You don’t need to bend over my file clerk. You bitch.

Good for you, noble vigilante of the office! That was a very nice thing you did, and I am always doing the same kind of thing in your position.

Thank you. I’m a little embarrassed that I butted in, but damn! The woman is 50 years old. By that time, shouldn’t you know, you just don’t do shit like that?
Follow up: She was just in my bosses office. Apparently I committed the rudest act she has ever witnessed. Ever. K. I told Paul what happened. He asked what time recess starts…

Wow. That took a lot of sack. So she appointed herself official office gift redistributer? Not that this excuses anything, but how old is this “person”?

Obnoxious bullies pull shit like that because they think no one will call them out on it. Good for you!

That was a damn good thing to do, Maureen.

I intend to befriend Preview.

She told on you? Good! Maybe you’ll end up with the gift certificate.

You rock. You are my office hero for the day. Glad you took charge.

Very well done.

Haj

Another submission to Dogbert’s New Ruling Class. Well done, Maureen!

She obviously hasn’t been paying attention.

I simply loved the thread title. Mahvelous!

Sweet holy fuck, what a bitch. “Where’s my boom box?” indeed. Good for you for “innocently” turning it over to its rightful owner.

I am officially stunned.

She wanted it, so she took advantage of the fact that the winner wasn’t there to claim it? Does she go rooting through desks looking for spare change, too?

I would tell your file clerk what happened, so she can’t accidentally “take it” from his desk when he’s not there.

What a bitch. Good on you, Maureen. I hope Joan gets reprimanded for this.

Oh, and I’d keep an eye on the boom box until Elliot gets it. I wouldn’t put it past her to put in in her car “so I could give it to Elliot personally and congratulate him.”

Classic. I agree, it’s one for the books.

Ivylass, I was blown away, too. All I could think was “Wha?”

Some background: Joan is the person in the office that people tend to avoid eye contact with, because she will tell you her life story. She’s pleasant enough, but she is compelled to one up everyone. She has a story for everything. As a result, she is always running behind on her work. But it’s never her fault.

Heh. See? Sometimes it’s good to have a reputation for being an airhead… :smiley:

Good for you! What a fucking bitch; that’s unreal. :mad:

What a bitch.

Heh. That she did. Coversation as follows:

Conversation with Paul:

Joan: I wanted to trade it. That’s why I put it way under my desk. Taking it was just the rudest thing I’ve ever seen!
Paul: I want you to replay that sentence in your mind, and actually think about how it sounds.
J: Well, he doesn’t really need it. He has one.
P: I don’t think that’s the point.
J: But she should never have taken it!
P: Well, maybe she thinks the same thing about you. Look. We have other things to keep us busy today. It’s Monday. Let’s get to work, hm?