What were the original Lucky Charms' marshmallows?

I was just snacking on a handful of dry Lucky Charms, eating the oat bits first and saving the marshmallows for last (as you do). In my hand I had: shooting stars, rainbows, red balloons, pink hearts, blue moons, purple horseshoes (for some reason all of these were broken, must be a design flaw), pots of gold, and green hats with shamrocks.

Now, I know that when I was a child the marshmallow shapes were much more simple. I seem to remember blue diamonds and yellow moons, but I am blanking on the others. What were they, exactly?

Also, did you know they they now have chocolate Lucky Charms? If only they’d invented that when I was a sugar-bombed Smurf-watcher…now I fear they may be too radical for my aged taste buds. :wink:

I remember when Purple Horseshoes were added.

I think Yellow Moons, Orange Stars, Green Clovers Blue Diamonds and Pink Hearts.

OOh! OoH!

CITE:

http://www.tvacres.com/admascots_lucky.htm

The original Lucky Charms in the '60s had only four shapes: hearts, moons, stars, and clovers. The blue diamonds were added in the '70s.

Green potatoes, red blood of patriots and the yellow right bastard Englishman who sends his goons to evict you!

Wow, if anything I thought the hearts were added later. I guess hearts are the only original shape that survived. Well, not counting the blue moons that used to be yellow. Thanks for the info!

Bryan Ekers, :smiley:

Yes, I definitely remember when the Blue Diamonds were added. I had my own particular order in which the marshmallows were to be eaten.

I found a detailed history here, which includes the fact that Lucky the Leprechaun was briefly replaced by some imposter named Waldo the Wizard.

Did not know that.

I’d never heard of that either. When the Frito Bandido got banned for being an ethnic stereotype, I used to sneer, “You don’t see me complaining about the Lucky Charms leprechaun.” Maybe somebody did…

I knew that only because I watch “Unwrapped” on Food Network. Mom never bought sugary cereals, so I didn’t try it until I was an adult. Didn’t like it.

And don’t forget those damned mewling Orangemen.

Ekers Ya right bastard!

There I was last night trying to watch the very serious movie Michael Collins and all that keeps running through my head is "Green potatoes, red blood of patriots . . . " all in the Lucky the Leprechaun voice.

Well, leprechauns don’t really exist, you see, so it’s hard to offend them with sterotypes.

Well, that’s like saying that the reason the Frito Bandido got pulled is that he was offensive to bandits.

I distinctly remember the Leprechaun saying, in his sing-songy voice, "Pink hearts…yellow moons…orange stars…green clovers…

…and new blue diamonds!"

But do I remember the names of people I met twenty seconds earlier? Nope.

Cancerous?

…I’m sorry. I couldn’t resist. I think Lucky Charms put me well on my way to dentures. I probably just have a grudge

Heh. My son eats the marshmallows first, then leaves the oats for someone else. :smiley:

Bart pours himself a bowl of a cereal resembling Lucky Charms.

Bart: Aw, damn FDA! Why can’t it all be marshmallows?
Lisa: Ew! Bart, don’t put the non-marshmallow pieces back in the box.
They go in the trash!

Homer Bad Man

I nominate this post for “Best Ever in a Breakfast-related food thread”.