What are you taking to T'giving dinner?

I’m taking pumpkin and black bean soup. Hope everyone likes it!

We always go to NYC on Tuesday of Thanksgiving week. Take the kids to the Bronz zoo, then to the AMNH on Wednesday and sort of ooze outside to join what has become* the spectacle of the parade balloons being blown up. Then we rise early on Thursday and race home to join the extended family for dinner, so I have no time to bake or cook and will come bearing gifts

*15 years ago, when my husband and I first started this tradition it was the best kept secret in the city.

I’ll be here alone. Probably in the rain. Might read something by Hemmingway…

An amazing recipe for sweet, creamy apple dip.

We go camping for Thanksgiving. This year will be the 23rd straight year with the core group. I usually do Thanksgiving Eve dinner (this year that means marinated beef tips, bbq’d veggies and drinks). My sole contribution to Thanksgiving dinner is the wine. This year, I’m bringing some Fess Parker Pinot Noir, two bottles of Fess Parker Syrah, and a Mandolina Toccata Reserva.

I’m making the whole thing, except the meat, which is not my realm. We’re having veggie pot pie with greens, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and for desert toffee apple pie. All from scratch. Going to be a busy Wednesday in the kitchen. Yeah, I may go a little overboard, since it’s only two of us. But it’s going to be fun, and the leftovers are great.

We host Thanksgiving each year. It is our big holiday. So we will make most of the meal and my family brings deserts and my sister make the greatest sausage stuffing. This year will be a smaller meal as my wife’s family will not be making it. We will only have 16 this year.

Farmwoman: your link makes me very nostalgic. My Uncle use to bring pastries and cookies from Veniero’s to my parents house when he still lived in the city. This was 23 years ago. They had close to the best Cannolis.

Oakminster: if you lived closer, I would invite you my my house.

Jim

I’m doing most of it for Alias’ family this year. Right now I’m doing the bird, mashed potatoes, at least one pie, rolls, and the cranberry sauce.

I’ll be in bonny Scotland. Not sure if the colonial ancestors celebrate that holiday :dubious:

I was attempting humor with the alone in the rain with Hemmingway bit. I will be alone, but it’s by choice. I’d rather have four glorious days to do absolutely nothing than spend two of those days fighting holiday traffic to go home. Such. is. not. allowed. at. Christmas. So I’m getting while the getting is good. May roast a couple of Cornish hens for a Thanksgivingy feast…

My brother-in-law is doing the cooking and he’s a complete overachiever so no one else brings anything. From reading this thread, though, I want that sausage stuffing and toffee apple pie. Yum.

Not sure where I’m going this year or who with, but last year I baked challah (traditional Jewish egg bread) and herbed foccacia bread for both my family’s Thanksgiving and my roommate’s family’s dinner, which I also attended since they did theirs on Friday night, and the breads were big hits. I may just do that again.

That sounds like a plan. Spoil yourself with something extravagant.

Oops. I make the homemade noodles and dissect the bird.

I do it all, and love every minute of it. Especially the relief when it’s over, and the satisfied humanity laying around grasping their bellies, and dozing off! :smiley:

We’re having dinner for 8. Turkey and all the trimmings.

I’m taking a pass. Not going to my wife’s family’s shin-dig. They don’t like me and I’m not going to share my homebrew with people that talk shit about me.

With any luck, I’ll have something to be really thankful for by then!

Sure, it’s known as “Thank God We got Rid of Those Bloody Idiots Day”.

As per my usual, I’ve been charged with bringing the wine. Why is it, do you suppose, that my family does not trust me with tasks involving actual food preparation?

Cooking is a hobby of mine and I have made some spectacular Thanksgiving dinners. This year however I am having dinner at a relative’s house and knowing my skills they asked me to bring something. I have been told to bring something made of sweet potatoes.

I hate sweet potatoes. :frowning:

Now my pride as an amateur cook means that I’ll make the best sweet potatoes I possibly can, but it’s cruel.

I’m not hosting, for the first time in years, so I think I’ll bring lasagne and chocolate cheesecake. I love hosting, but it will be sort of delightful not to have to get up at 5:00 to get the turkey stuffed and in the oven!