Most cliched line in cinema: "Let's get out of here!"

The Guinness Book of World Records once said this line was present in 93% of all English-language movies. So I did a study of 500 movies. Much to my surprise, it was pretty goddamn accurate. Granted, there are variations, like:

“Let’s get the FUCK out of here!!!”

“Let’s get the HELL out of here!!!”

“We’ve got to get out of here!”

I’m a purist. I don’t think “Let’s go!” counts, even though it should.

Some were foreign movies, but even then, the sentiment was adequately represented, be it either dubbed or subtitled.

In conclusion, my study showed that the line appears in anywhere from 75% to 85% of the movies you see. Don’t believe me? Watch 50 movies. Keep track.

Can we start a watch list of where “Let’s get out of here!” is used in a movie?

Once you know how to watch for it, it really becomes apparent.

Latest sighting (was today, watching on DVD): Undercover Brother.

I’d say this line represented at least 20% of the dialog in Aliens, no? :slight_smile:

Yeah, but in all fairness, this has actually entered the canon of stuff that we say. It doesn’t sound hackneyed or stupid because we use it.

At least, I use it . . .

‘We’ve got to get out of this place,
If it’s the last thing we ever do,
We’ve got to get out of this place,
Girl there’s a better life for me and you!’

Get down!

A few years ago a bunch of my friends had a car wreck, where the car ended up upside-down in a ditch. As they hung there, unhurt, from their seat belts, one of them earned our eternal mockery by saying, in an eruption from a subconscious fed on Hollywood action clichés:

Marines, we are leaving! (That sort of thing?)

In every action movie, you will hear hundreds of times:
“Are you OK?”
Even if the hero just got hit by an asteroid.

Now hold up there, partner! Mr. Cotta and I first tracked this in the 70s and dubbed it the ‘Glen Larson’ effect. In Mr. Larson’s masterworks, ‘Buck Rogers’ and Battlestar Gallactica’ a good many scenes are punctuated with the “Let’s go!” capper.

It probably would have made as good a drinking game as the “Hi Bob” from ‘Newhart’.

Another song:

If I ever get out of here,
Thought of giving it all away
to a registered charity
All I need is a pint a day.
If I ever get out of here,
If we ever get out of here.

Per the OP, I think it would probably be More Interesting to have two tallies:

(1) Films that don’t say it at all
(2) Films that say it the most

I think “Let’s go!” is very different contextually from “Let’s get out of here.”

The former implies initiative and forward thinking, while the latter suggests desperation and crisis aversion. Being a purist would, I think, exclude the former instead of conflating the two very different ideas as one.

Oh dear. You seem to have fallen down a thirty-foot well, are you all right?*

I always thought the most overused lines were, “It’s quiet in here…too quiet,” and “I’ve got a bad feeling about this.”

Another one is the endless variations on “You’re crazy, you know that?”

“I’ve got a bad feeling about this” was a running joke in the Star Wars movies. I suspect that after ROTJ Lucas went out of his way to include it in the rest of the series, as kind of an inside joke. I haven’t really noticed it that much in other films.

Ebert’s Movie Glossary makes mention of the ubiquitous climactic scene where The Ally has revealed himself to be a turncoat and is now pointing a gun at the hero. He says, “You just don’t GET it, do you?”

“I didn’t hear anything.”

Would this line count?

“Run away! Run away!”

All horror movies that involve a group of teenagers all reach a point where one of them says soemthing along the lines of "Let’s split up and … look for the source of that noise/blood/whatever. "

People - never split up in the woods where there is a boogie man. At least half of you are guaranteed goners.

Along similar lines, characters in movies/TV are always saying “get some sleep” where in real life “go to bed” is much more common. I.e., it’s never “let’s go to bed,” “you should go to bed,” it’s “let’s get some sleep,” “you should get some sleep.”