It's Poker, Not Bingo: SDMB League 1st Quarter 2008

Players come, players go. It’s been a loongggg time since we had two tables running. sniff Those were the good ol’ days.

Linky to 4th Quarter 2007 which amazingly has links to previous quarters.

Get your stuff together and show up, people! No more of this “I have to study” “I have a DATE” “The Moon is in the house of Neptune with a rising aura of Uranus therefore I cannot play” crap.

Games are Thursday evenings, 9pm Central time. I believe there are a few sites that work together - the microgaming sites - but most of us are at Crazy Poker. We also love to verbally abuse each other (gives stinkeye to certain people who shall remain unnamed) through AIM.

Join Us!

Hey, now, I was there when everyone else wasn’t on Thanksgiving. I think I can take a Thursday off for an actual DATE once a year.

Looks like me and Ast playing heads-up tonight.

I can nail my first win of the quarter :smiley:

After an epic heads-up battle that left the onlookers yawning with excitement, the results are in:

1. Me
  2. Oslo Ostragoth
  3. Miss Take
  4. Yeticus Rex (in absentia)
  5. Duke of Rat
  6. asterion (who has much happier things to concern himself with than mere cards)

Good game, everyone.

Actually, we didn’t have any “onlookers yawning in excitement”. They mostly went to bed when we went heads up. :smiley: :frowning:

Are they every Thursday? I can’t seem to find my way into a local live game, I’ve been playing online, but something more consistent would be fun. My only problem is I probably couldn’t play every Thursday.

Ummmmmmm… anybody got a problem with me?

Even better, we actually put people to sleep with our playing!

I have to say, you’re a hard son-of-a-gun to kill. It must be fascinating for the great players to watch their games on TV after the fact, and see what cards the other players had and if they made the right reads. Not many hands went to the showdown when we were heads-up. There were times I slow played and was just aching for you to bet. I probably folded to some bluffs. It would be interesting to reconstruct it afterwards, see if I’m any good at this game or just got lucky last night.

Join in Tof. You don’t have to show up every week. If you’re on one of the sites on our network, look for a private tournament called “SDMB weekly”, or something like that. Password available on request. (I don’t know if I should give it out, I still feel like a newcomer to the game.)

Beat by a bot…again.

Will someone please post all the instructions for getting to the right place at the right time? Where is it? How do you get the money thing clear? Is there a way to actually hear the howls of anguish when I crush my enemies?

Stuff like that…

Not just any bot…

YETIBOT!

Any poker room in the Microgaming network should work. Most of us are on Crazy Poker. There are 12 or so states that are not accepted, so if you live in one of those, you might have to borrow an address from a friend.

Games are at 10 pm Eastern every Thursday (although usually not Thanksgiving night). In the main lobby, click on Private - we should be listed. I have created next week’s game, so you have plenty of time to find it and sign up. Password has been “rudengrim” (without the quotes), and we have never been crashed (knock on wood). The ridiculously high buyin is .09 + .01.

Funding is problematic. I railed a few games and asked - I was told that Moneygram or Western Union would work, or that one could sign up through Doyle’s Room (which is a MG room). I can’t verify any of this. We used to be able to pick up a few dimes in the freerolls, but they changed it so you have to play raked hands to qualify.

We set up an AIM chat room for the express purpose of hurling insults, taunting, howling in outrage, gloating, etc. If you have an AIM or compatible account, we need to know your user name. If it is not similar to your SDMB name, you might consider creating a new account that is similar just for use in the games.

That should just about cover it.

Well, you need to play at least 3 games in a quarter in order to be in the rankings. The quarterly winner gets a FANTASTIC prize, but we can’t say what it is, since it’s so special.

One ex-player did let it slip. Suffice it to say he no longer can play, what with the injuries (Yeti can be such a beast!)

Tonights results:

WINNER: ME!
Loser #1: Root
Loser #2: Oslo
Loser #3: Ast
Loser #4: Kyy
Loser #5: Dag
Loser #6: Yeti
Loser #7: AIWintermute
Loser #8: Duckie

Just chiming in to let you know that I didn’t die on you guys, just had to deal with Yeti Jr. and then my Mid-Yeti came home from practice and fired up Team Fortress 2 before I came back to the computer.

Ahhhhh…the life of dad.

Some player worried about her place in history asked about standings after 2 games:

1 Robot Arm 83.1
2 Miss Take 79.3
3 Oslo Ostragoth 70.7
4 Kyyrewyyoae 50.0
5 Asterion 41.4
6 Dag Otto 40.0
7 Yeticus Rex 36.8
8 A. I. Wintermute 20.0
9 Duke of Rat 19.8

Actually, I was the one wondering about the standings.

I just played a live game with some co-workers. We had one guy here from India who had never played poker before. So we had a few pretend hands to show him how it worked, and wrote the order of hands from best to worst.

He hit everything. In 90 minutes, he folded twice and lost one showdown. I lost to a runner-runner flush. I had to re-buy just because I didn’t want to leave so early. So did everyone else. Finally I had K-5 in the small blind and raised. The flop was 5-5-6. I bet half my stack and he called. Went all-in after the turn. He called and showed 5-6. I’ve never seen anybody get cards like he did.

I’ve played poker in-person twice, about 3 hours total, and I’ve never won a hand.

KMB. It wasn’t me. Neener.

It sure as hell wasn’t me!

Seeing new posts in this thread, I thought I’d stop by to say:

Eff you emeffers!

Sorry. I thought it was you.