The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Old 07-12-2008, 10:34 AM

Tony Snow dies.

Mouthpiece for Dick Cheney and his slow-witted little buddy has died of colon cancer at the age of 53. With Falwell and Helms down there, Hell is filling up faster lately.

Discuss.
Advertisements  
Old 07-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

I disagreed with him 99% of the time but I liked him a lot. I will miss him.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randwill
Mouthpiece for Dick Cheney and his slow-witted little buddy has died of colon cancer at the age of 53. With Falwell and Helms down there, Hell is filling up faster lately.

Discuss.
Wow.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:42 AM

Once you die or become seriously ill your political viewpoints shouldn't matter any more. He was too young to die and I wish his family well.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:44 AM
BANNED

I didn't like him and will not miss him. I'm glad he's dead. I'm glad it was something as painful and undignified as colon cancer and I hope he suffered. Let's hope it's only the beginning for Fox News shills and Bush collaborators alike.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randwill

Discuss.
discuss? the man worked for some one I hate, but he died, young, of a horrible disease. I am, however, willing to discuss further my contempt for you in pitting his death.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes the Cynic
I didn't like him and will not miss him. I'm glad he's dead. I'm glad it was something as painful and undignified as colon cancer and I hope he suffered. Let's hope it's only the beginning for Fox News shills and Bush collaborators alike.
fuck you.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wring
discuss? the man worked for some one I hate, but he died, young, of a horrible disease.
So what? Why does that make him less evil?
Old 07-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm glad it was something as painful and undignified as colon cancer and I hope he suffered. Let's hope it's only the beginning for Fox News shills and Bush collaborators alike.
Fucking hell, what's wrong with you?
Old 07-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

The bile for Jesse Helms I can understand, but this thread really reveals the dark underbelly of some Dopers.

God bless Tony Snow & may he pray for your souls.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:50 AM

What evidence do you have that he was evil. He worked, for a short time, for Bush. I don't believe that everyone who work(s)(ed) for BUsh are evil - some are misguided, true believers.

and I'm not one who wishes painful deaths on folks in general, certainly not 'cause they are part of the other party. Hell, I don't even approve of the 'let me top that torturous death wish' crap you see in the RO threads for criminals.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffe
Fucking hell, what's wrong with you?
don't know. I used to defend him to some of my less liberal doper friends, but no more. that was one sick fucking post.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:53 AM

53 is too young to die. I hope his last days were pain free.

What purpose do the hateful remarks serve?
Old 07-12-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Finally, your true self is revealed. And this, you won't be able to weasel out of.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:56 AM
BANNED

He was a professional liar, a war crimes apologist and a collaborator in the destruction of the bill of Rights. Why should I pretend to feel sorry for him now that he got what he had coming to him? I defy anyone to name one good thing he ever did.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan01
Finally, your true self is revealed. And this, you won't be able to weasel out of.
Weasel out of what?
Old 07-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Fuck me, Diogenes, do you put on your dancing shoes every single time somebody who disagrees with you dies? Last time I checked it wasn't a mortal sin to hold views contrary to your own. Maybe I'm wrong. If so, Hell is gonna be a mighty crowded place.

But frankly if Heaven is reserved for cold-hearted arrogant shits like you I'll take Hell any day.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiboronti
Fuck me, Diogenes, do you put on your dancing shoes every single time somebody who disagrees with you dies? Last time I checked it wasn't a mortal sin to hold views contrary to your own. Maybe I'm wrong. If so, Hell is gonna be a mighty crowded place.
There's a difference between mere disagreement and active participation and collaboration with the worst kinds of criminal activity. Tony Snow was a shill for war crimes, torture and the dissolution of American civil liberties.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:02 AM

DtC, I wouldn't wish that kind of death on my worst enemy.

I'm glad he's out of politics.
I'm not sorry that he's dead.
If I believed in Hell, I might speculate on his destination, but I don't so it's a moot point.

But further than that I'm not prepared to go. I don't think it speaks well of you if you revel in the sufferings of other people, even bad people. If you're going to say that his crimes against others are so egregious that his own suffering pales in comparison, you might be better off to make that argument. As it is, you just come across as a bad person.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wring
What evidence do you have that he was evil. He worked, for a short time, for Bush.
You answered your own question.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Weasel out of what?
A disgusting position you take, and then when showered with near unanimous opprobrium you backpedal, contort, slither shuck and jive. Well, not this time, blackheart. Fuck you and the slug you rode in on. And seriously, you should see a psychiatrist. But you won't. And I'm kinda glad. Living the remainder of your life as your low self seems to be the best justice that could be meted out. I just hope it's a long one.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
There's a difference between mere disagreement and active participation and collaboration with the worst kinds of criminal activity.
You know the press secretary doesn't actually participate in setting policy, right?
Old 07-12-2008, 11:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
A disgusting position you take, and then when showered with near unanimous opprobrium you backpedal, contort, slither shuck and jive. Well, not this time, blackheart. Fuck you and the slug you rode in on. And seriously, you should see a psychiatrist. But you won't. And I'm kinda glad. Living the remainder of your life as your low self seems to be the best justice that could be meted out. I just hope it's a long one.
Don't you have a klan rally to go to?

Don't worry, dawg. I ain't backing off of shit. I don't care what anybody thinks.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
You know the press secretary doesn't actually participate in setting policy, right?
But he sells it. Snow knew he was selling lies running interference for criminal behavior. He could have quit. He chose to collaborate instead.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:10 AM

The man had two daughters and a son, who loved him. Jeezus, what the hell's wrong with you, Dio?
Old 07-12-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Don't you have a klan rally to go to?

Don't worry, dawg. I ain't backing off of shit. I don't care what anybody thinks.
Oh but you do. That's why you somehow tried to insult me about going to a klan rally? And that's why you're trying to defend yourself. So please, keep digging. I'd say that most other posters see this as a day any respect people—of both sides—might have had for you plummeted severely, never to be retrieved. You can't see that right now, you think it's just another disagreement, but you will. Eventually. And when you do, please remember that magellan01 was the one who foretold it. Okay, scumbag?
Old 07-12-2008, 11:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Nader
The man had two daughters and a son, who loved him. Jeezus, what the hell's wrong with you, Dio?
Nothing. I'm just not a hypocrite. I couldn't stannd him when he was alive and I'm not going to pretend I feel sorry for him now. He doesn't deserve any eulogies. He had kids? So what? So does Osama bin Laden.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Oh but you do. That's why you somehow tried to insult me about going to a klan rally? And that's why you're trying to defend yourself. So please, keep digging. I'd say that most other posters see this as a day any respect people—of both sides—might have had for you plummeted severely, never to be retrieved. You can't see that right now, you think it's just another disagreement, but you will. Eventually. And when you do, please remember that magellan01 was the one who foretold it. Okay, scumbag?
Respect? That's a laugh. I've never been respected around here.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:17 AM

I never got the impression Snow was a bad guy for a RW radio host (not like, say, Limbaugh), he was even a talented journalist in some ways, but as WHPS, trying to put a presentable face on the Bush Admin's lies and crimes, he was waaaaay out of his depth. It's like he was wearing this "What have I gotten myself into?!" expression every press conference. Which speaks rather well of him, when you think about it.

Last edited by BrainGlutton; 07-12-2008 at 11:18 AM..
Old 07-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Everybody Dance Now!!!
Old 07-12-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
How does this differ from what Diogenes the Cynic said? You want someone you disagree with to suffer as much as possible.

As for Mr. Snow, I liked him years ago. I thought he seemed more thoughtful and willing to discuss issues than most pundits. But that was before, I think, the money started flowing so freely to pundits. It's harder to be a really big name in punditry without being easily digestible. So he became digestible. I won't follow this analogy any further.

I think the same phenomenon can be seen on the internet. We can become parodies of ourselves and lose our capacity, or willingness, for thoughtfulness.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Yes, you have. I can personally guarantee that.

You are weary, brother, the struggle has taken its toll. Hatred constipates your karma, rots your soul. Time to back away. Pick wildflowers, watch a baby sleep, a little music, a little laughter.

If we hate them, we are them. Beware.

Last edited by elucidator; 07-12-2008 at 11:30 AM..
Old 07-12-2008, 11:27 AM

His job was to lie and apologize for the evil of his masters. To lie to me, in whose name the evil was being committed.

When he stopped doing that he went to Fox "News" to continue shilling for the souless morons in the White House.

The world would be a better place if the corrupt people in power couldn't find anyone to stand before the public and try to justify their evil.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:28 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
But he sells it. Snow knew he was selling lies running interference for criminal behavior. He could have quit. He chose to collaborate instead.
I think this administration has done some incredibly evil things, but this type of statement is, frankly, a bit psycho. The people who set policy and took the actions have a whole different level of responsibility than the people who supported them, whether by working for them in a lower level role or by voting/campaigning/arguing for them. The latter do hold the responsibility of aligning themselves politically with a group who caused significant harm to others, but they're not "collaborators" and we shouldn't wish painful deaths upon them. Doing so makes you look like a hateful lunatic.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Doing so makes you look like a hateful lunatic.
30,000 posts and you're only now beginning to recognize this? I got tired of this routine in 2002.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Two of the great risks in life are:
  • Becoming what we pretend we are
  • Becoming what we hate

ISTM that Snow may have succumbed to the first.

Dio appears to have succumbed to the second.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton
as WHPS, trying to put a presentable face on the Bush Admin's lies and crimes, he was waaaaay out of his depth.
I got a nice Ron Ziegler vibe from the man.
He certainly didn't have an enviable job, but he did it better than the man he replaced, or the woman that came after.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:37 AM

You leave Dana Perino alone! She tries so hard! And all you do is tear her down! You bastards! (sob)
Old 07-12-2008, 11:38 AM
BANNED

I'm not going to back off of anything, but in light of 'lucy's post, I'm going to drop out of this thread.

Last edited by Diogenes the Cynic; 07-12-2008 at 11:38 AM..
Old 07-12-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I* respect your posts on here (and if it is you posting on another forum with the same nick, there too), but sometimes you make it difficult. Posting intemperate sentiment like that is something you would expect to see on, say, the average Ted Kennedy thread on Free Republic. Is that how you want to be perceived? Do you really want to give a drooling moron like magellan01 ammunition?

* Not that you know or care who I am, but still man, you've got a brain - just engage it a bit more consistently.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I think this administration has done some incredibly evil things, but this type of statement is, frankly, a bit psycho. The people who set policy and took the actions have a whole different level of responsibility than the people who supported them, whether by working for them in a lower level role or by voting/campaigning/arguing for them. The latter do hold the responsibility of aligning themselves politically with a group who caused significant harm to others, but they're not "collaborators" and we shouldn't wish painful deaths upon them. Doing so makes you look like a hateful lunatic.
All right, I'll give you that. But if Cheney kicks it, it's happy-dance time!

Last edited by BrainGlutton; 07-12-2008 at 11:44 AM..
Old 07-12-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I I'm glad he's dead. I'm glad it was something as painful and undignified as colon cancer and I hope he suffered.
Damn Dio , you make me look like a girl scout.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator
Yes, you have. I can personally guarantee that.

You are weary, brother, the struggle has taken its toll. Hatred constipates your karma, rots your soul. Time to back away. Pick wildflowers, watch a baby sleep, a little music, a little laughter.

If we hate them, we are them. Beware.
Whom are "they"? The Bush admin? Tony Snow? Republicans in general? Evil people in general? Anyone whom would deign to defend a Republican?
Old 07-12-2008, 11:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I didn't like him and will not miss him. I'm glad he's dead. I'm glad it was something as painful and undignified as colon cancer and I hope he suffered.
Which makes you an asshole. What he did or didn't do is totally irrelevant. Your attitude reflects who you are, not who Tony Snow was.

It's like the assholes who fantasize about torturing terrorists. It's not about them; it's about us.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil
Whom are "they"?
<grammar nitpick>Who are they. Whom are them. </end grammar nitpick>
Old 07-12-2008, 12:05 PM

Sometimes it appears we on the road to becoming Fred Phelps.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
...Let's hope it's only the beginning for Fox News shills and Bush collaborators alike.
Yeah, I can hardly wait for more people with whom I disagree over policy issues to die a horrible death. The more the better. Can we arrange to watch it on YouTube?
Old 07-12-2008, 12:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I don't care what anybody thinks.
If you don't care what anybody thinks, why are you posting on an interactive message board? Just trying to stir shit up?
Old 07-12-2008, 12:17 PM

Wow, Dio, you've officially become Shodan.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem
Once you die or become seriously ill your political viewpoints shouldn't matter any more. He was too young to die and I wish his family well.
Pardon me for just saying "Ditto" to this one.

Well, a "line item" ditto: I reserve the right to hold political viewpoints against somebody who had and used serious political and military power in his own right. He wasn't Goebbels, he was more spokesmodel, not a policy maker or enforcer. His death benefits nobody and settles no scores and shouldn't bring visceral satisfaction for anybody.

Last edited by Sampiro; 07-12-2008 at 12:28 PM..