Monopoly movie - this is a joke, right?

Ridley Scott is attached to direct a live-action version of the board game Monopoly. Scarlett Johansson and Kirsten Dunst are considered for the “sexy young” talent such a movie requires.

Please tell me this is a joke. A crap game with no plot is going to be turned into a comedy thriller? How?

How indeed…related story:

It’s a great game, and it worked with Clue, didn’t it?:stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway here’s a link for ya.

*NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - A movie based on the “Monopoly” game is jumping a large number of spaces up the board.

Ridley Scott is officially attached to direct the Hasbro-Universal collaboration, with an eye toward giving it a futuristic sheen along the lines of his iconic “Blade Runner.” Screenwriter Pamela Pettler (“Corpse Bride,” “Monster House”) will shape a narrative out of the iconic real estate game.

“Monopoly” marks the latest Hasbro property looking to pass go and head to the big screen. Board games and branded properties, such as last year’s hit "Transformers’ adaptation, have become more attractive as studios look to mitigate risk by finding built-in audiences.

Universal is working with Hasbro on several projects as part of a long-term development deal. Additionally, “Transformers” director Michael Bay’s Platinum Dunes banner is producing its feature adaptation of “Ouija Board,” while the maritime classic “Battleship” also is in development. Elsewhere, Paramount will next summer release a feature based on its “G.I. Joe” character. And “Trivial Pursuit: America Plays” is now airing as a syndicated television game show.*

Ouija Board and Battleship? How long until this is no longer a joke?

Clue was an awesome movie. I’ll keep an open mind on Monopoly for now.

If they film it in Atlantic City and paint all the houses and hotels bright green and red, I will consider going to see this movie.

The rumor is that Christian Bale is already shedding weight and undergoing a flattening procedure to prepare for his role as the iron.

Didn’t see the movie, but the game at least had a plot. Monopoly does not. A movie can’t have more than the most tenuous connection to the game.

Just wait until you see Daniel Day Lewis’ portrayal of the cannon. It will blow you away.

Martha Stewart as the thimble.

“Iron”-ically, Jeremy Irons was offered the role first.

Man, do they even have editors at these idiot Hollywood rags? G.I. Joe is not a character (at least, not anymore). It is the name of an anti-terrorist team that was originally an 80s cartoon that was very heavy on the plot (for a cartoon) and by accounts so far looks like it will be awesome.

As for Monopoly, there was enough story in the game to make a halfway humorous movie, but Jesus Christ, setting it in the future? Is Ridley Scott on crack or something?

I thought this was a zombie thread; I’m almost dead certain this title has been used before. :slight_smile:

Let’s play fill in the trailer…

Your turn…

That’s right. It’s the code name for America’s daring highly trained special mission force. It’s purpose: to defend human freedom against Cobra, a ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.

Your turn.

And now you know. And knowing is half the battle.

If that’s true then the movie is already in trouble. Anybody with an iota of sense should know Bale is a natural for the race car.

Wait 'til you see Quentin Tarantino’s dark vision for “Hungry Hungry Hippos.”

How about re-making Rocky starring the Rockem Sockem Robots?

G! I! Joe! GO JOE!

EDIT: I think I heard that Sarah Jessica Parker is in talks to play the horse…

In a world…

Dominated by high-stakes land deals…

Fast cars…

and luxury hotels…

One young mogul on his way to the top made one wrong move…

COP: “You’re goin’ to jail, directly to jail.”

He didn’t pass GO, he didn’t collect two hundred dollars…

but…

He has powerful friends and something up his sleeve

This summer, he wants it all, will he form…

a MONOPOLY ?