The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Old 12-16-2008, 12:02 PM
BANNED

McDonalds hates black people.

I never gave it much thought, but this latest commercial got my attention.

"Girl, you got a 10-piece/please don't be stingy"

Somewhere around 2002 or so, McDonalds shifted its entire ad campaign to aggressively go after blacks with the "I'm lovin' it" slogan. For the company with the clown and happy meals, I literally cannot remember the last time I saw a basic kid-oriented commercial from McDonalds - instead, it's an endless stream of embarrassing, downright offensive and stereotypical minstrel shows. The outright cooning and clowning is the type of stuff that went out with Al Jolson - wide-eyed, red-lipped stereotypes rapping about "make it a double, muthafucka!"

Does McDonalds just feel that they're the best choice for AA's in these trying economic times, or is this flat-out culture war? I'm not sure if anyone remembers McDonalds' highly offensive www.iamasian.com, but these commercials are even a cut above that.
Advertisements  
Old 12-16-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freejooky View Post
I'm not sure if anyone remembers McDonalds' highly offensive www.iamasian.com, but these commercials are even a cut above that.
Eh? I'm just not seeing it. This ad isn't the best, but I don't think it's offensive, either.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:09 PM

They're aiming for the audience most likely to buy their stuff.

Don't think they don't know for a minute exactly who lives near and frequents their restaurants. The data compiled by major corporations makes the U.S. census quite obsolete.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
McDonald's hates black people
I think you're thinking of George Bush.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:23 PM

Their ads are irritating, but I don't think they're insulting to anything but our intelligence.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I literally cannot remember the last time I saw a basic kid-oriented commercial from McDonalds
I saw a few yesterday, though I can't find any links to them online. You should watch more Backyardigans
Old 12-16-2008, 12:28 PM

I reported the OP's title as misleading. Not that I care, but I'm looking for mod consistency as to their response with regard to the Euthanasiast issue.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:32 PM

It's a shit ad but so are most of their ads.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Smart, Hip, Dipstick

I don't get it...the OP is supposed to be a joke, right? I mean, yes, the commercial sucks, and the woman needs to get the fuck over herself and give up a couple of McNuggets (or even better, call the guy when you're at the drive-thru and see if he wants anything, you selfish twat), but no one could seriously find it racist, right? I know how much people love to be offended, but I'm being whooshed here, correct?
Old 12-16-2008, 12:37 PM

McDonald's is cheap. Which makes it popular in the hood. There just happen to be a lot of black people in the hood.

You linked to a video featuring two black actors and an R&B style song. Big fucking deal. This offends you why?

Kid ads are on during kid times. I see plenty of Madagascar themed ads when watching cartoons with my 6 year old.

The ads you are talking about target adults, and are tied in with the rest of current culture. If they fail, McDonalds will fire the ad team and get another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fessie View Post
They're aiming for the audience most likely to buy their stuff.

Don't think they don't know for a minute exactly who lives near and frequents their restaurants. The data compiled by major corporations makes the U.S. census quite obsolete.
Meh. There's poor white people (and Hispanic people, etc. etc.) who eat McDonald's as well. Where do you live? Maybe your market area has a lot of black people, and the ads you see are targeted towards that particular area. Here I see commercials targeted towards kids and teens.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:40 PM

Just saw an ad here for blacksingles.com. How racist is that ? should I be pitting the Straightdope ?
Old 12-16-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichini Sanshigo View Post
Meh. There's poor white people (and Hispanic people, etc. etc.) who eat McDonald's as well. Where do you live? Maybe your market area has a lot of black people, and the ads you see are targeted towards that particular area. Here I see commercials targeted towards kids and teens.
What bothered me, personally, when I temped for a Major Corporation Selling Crappy Food is that none of the people who worked there deigned to eat it themselves.

They were much too smart to consume their own stuff. Because it's not healthy.

But they were happy to market it to other people, using advertising that creates an alternate reality ("Ooh, come eat our stuff and be groovy"). They thought their customers were saps.

Just like I always thought the SOB's at the tobacco companies should all smoke.

Last edited by fessie; 12-16-2008 at 12:45 PM..
Old 12-16-2008, 12:46 PM

I always took this commercial as a parody of the usual over-sappy R&B videos. Because the singer is in love. With chicken McNuggets.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:00 PM

Seems that McDonald's denies these charges of racism

Old 12-16-2008, 01:04 PM

If it makes you feel better, there's another one that features a very white-WASPY couple getting married with a cake made out of nuggets. They don't show it, but I'm sure they live in the suburbs and own a yellow lab, as well.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
And all the clerks at the sex shop should use the 12 inch double headed dildoes?
Old 12-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
McDonalds hates black people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagey Drifter View Post
I think you're thinking of George Bush.
Why does McDonalds hate George Bush? Did he choke on a McNugget or something?
Old 12-16-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
What bothered me, personally, when I temped for a Major Corporation Selling Crappy Food is that none of the people who worked there deigned to eat it themselves.

They were much too smart to consume their own stuff. Because it's not healthy.

But they were happy to market it to other people, using advertising that creates an alternate reality ("Ooh, come eat our stuff and be groovy"). They thought their customers were saps.

When you're smart, you don't get high on your own supply.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbadgerrace View Post
And all the clerks at the sex shop should use the 12 inch double headed dildoes?
Hmm. I think it's 18" double ended Jelly blue something or another. But, yeah they really should.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouv View Post
If it makes you feel better, there's another one that features a very white-WASPY couple getting married with a cake made out of nuggets. They don't show it, but I'm sure they live in the suburbs and own a yellow lab, as well.
I've seen that one and it makes me kind of ill seeing a cake made out of McNuggets. Not like lotus boob ill, but "ew...that is a foodstuff which should not exsist!" kind of ill.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Sandwich View Post
I always took this commercial as a parody of the usual over-sappy R&B videos. Because the singer is in love. With chicken McNuggets.

Yeah, that's exactly how I saw it.
"wow - you know it's bad when McDonald's is making fun of it..."
Old 12-16-2008, 01:50 PM

The McDonalds commercials I've seen lately feature either 2 white ladies or 2 white dudes sitting in coffee shops saying how they don't like to have to act preppy in order to get a latte and are now glad they can get them at McDonalds.

The one lady doesn't know where Paraguay is and the other has never even heard of Paraguay. AN INSULT TO WHITE WOMEN EVERYWHERE!
Old 12-16-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbadgerrace View Post
Are you telling me I didn't have to do that? Twice?
Old 12-16-2008, 02:04 PM

How is targeting an audience and trying to capture the "culture" being racist towards them? They are trying to make money off a particular demographic, not insult them.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazil84 View Post
Seems that McDonald's denies these charges of racism

Genius.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:20 PM

I remember when all this were nowt but fields, filled with proper racists. And cows.

Racist cows.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Briston View Post
I know how much people love to be offended, but I'm being whooshed here, correct?

I'm nto sure about this particular post but yes, plenty of people found the commercials offensive. I don't think you can make a commercial these days without offending someone, people really need to get over themselves. Go ahead, make a commercial about overweight, middle-aged whites guys, I won't get upset!
Old 12-16-2008, 03:18 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Badger View Post
I remember when all this were nowt but fields, filled with proper racists. And cows.

Racist cows.
Who were then turned into McDonalds hamburgers?
Old 12-16-2008, 03:20 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

McDonalds' hamburgers are made from cows? Cite?

Old 12-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi, Neighbor! View Post
How is targeting an audience and trying to capture the "culture" being racist towards them? They are trying to make money off a particular demographic, not insult them.
As are such luminaries as Martin Lawrence and Tyler Perry, but that doesn't keep me from cringing in my lily-white skin when I see some of the coon-show garbage they produce.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:24 PM

I just think McDonald's is desperate to get black people to eat there. These are not good times to be in the restaurant business.

Now if McDonald's came out with a new "McCornrow Dog" then I'd say yeah, they hate black people.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:38 PM

Anyone, I mean anyone, who sees racism in that linked commercial and can equate it with a minstrel show while keeping a straight face is either

1. Delusional
2. Retarded
3. Needs to lose the white-guilt
Old 12-16-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
When you're smart, you don't get high on your own supply.
Well said.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:58 PM

Yeah, I'm not seeing what's offensive in that commercial either, I just see a video spoof. I'd be interested to hear the explanation.

ETA: Is is just the fact that McDonald's is targeting black consumers, period? If yes that's a valid enough opinion, but that's a bit different than taking issue with one particular commercial. I mean, if that same commercial were for, I dunno, carrot sticks or granola bars, would you find it offensive?

Last edited by sugar and spice; 12-16-2008 at 04:01 PM..
Old 12-16-2008, 04:18 PM

Back in the 80's a friend of mine, whgo is white noted that McDonald's commercials were aimed to either black or white people. He told me that when he saw a commercial aimed at white people it was the general "Wow! A buy one get one free deal for Big Macs!" but when it was aimed a black peope there always were a lot of singing and dancing people breakin' and jivin'. From what I remember he was right.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:26 PM

I'm curious if the OP would have been offended if instead of McNuggets the ad had featured something else off the menu like maybe some fries, or is it connected in the OP's head that it's forbidden to mention black people and chicken in the same thought because that's racist. If the latter is the case then the only rascism in this thread is in the OP's mind.

Racist motherfucker.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouv View Post
Actually, that makes it worse, AFAIC. I don't think there is anything inherently objectionable to the commercial linked in the OP. But I do find it a bit alarming, and a bit troubling, that when McDonalds wants to sell to white people, they use a wedding (and a disgusting chicken cake). When they target black people, they have 1) a fake R&B song 2) some dancing and 3) the implication that the woman is unfaithful and the man is emasculated. Maybe it's just me (I think about things too much, I admit it), but the contrast between the white people getting married in the suburbs, and the black woman "stepping out" on her man in an urban area, is just a little too...binary.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute Skywatcher View Post
McDonalds' hamburgers are made from cows? Cite?

But the real shocker is that every McDonald's hamburger contains chopped-up pieces of--brace yourself--dead cow.

(Yeah, I know it was a joke, but I love that line.)
Old 12-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbbth View Post
I've seen that one and it makes me kind of ill seeing a cake made out of McNuggets. Not like lotus boob ill, but "ew...that is a foodstuff which should not exsist!" kind of ill.
It's less sick-inducing if you tell yourself that it's only a "cake" in that it functions as a cake and is shaped like one - IOW, that underneath that layer of McNuggets are more McNuggets; no actual cake or frosting is used.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

McDonald's might hate black people, but apparently black people love McDonald's (short scene from "Blackbelt Jones").
Old 12-16-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
All these replies, and still no "niggardly" joke?
Old 12-16-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool of the Conspiracy View Post
All these replies, and still no "niggardly" joke?
Yeah, I haven't seen one of those in a coon's age.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman View Post
should I be pitting the Straightdope ?
Probably, but that has nothing to do with this thread.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:49 PM

With all due respect, OP, your thread title is a generalization.

Maybe I'm examining it too closely, but I think that before a commercial even airs, it will have gone through every imaginable sociological/psychological test available, and if anyone finds anything objectionable at all, it's for sure that it will have been considered already.

Q
Old 12-16-2008, 09:51 PM

Niggardly? Please.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:28 AM
Charter Member

Awe. Some.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:31 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeghead View Post
Niggardly? Please.
I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:08 AM

Quote:
I literally cannot remember the last time I saw a basic kid-oriented commercial from McDonalds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mcdonaldland

Quote:
Late 2007
As obesity has become a growing problem in recent years, McDonald's and other fast food chains have been under increasing pressure to revamp their products and advertising with healthier alternatives. As part of this campaign, McDonald's has agreed to discontinue marketing to children under the age of twelve.