SDMB 2012 NFL Mock Draft!!!

It’s time to begin the SDMB NFL Mock Draft where we are going to let out inner Kiper and Mayocks out. Each Doper who volunteered in the Recruitment Thread has been assigned a few teams for which they will act as the GM in this Mock Draft. Here’s the ground rules, such as they are:

[ul]
[li]There is no Draft Clock, take as much time as you need. If you are going to be offline for an extended period PM me and I’ll try and make a proxy pick for you.[/li][li]Trades are allowed. GMs are encouraged to take their time between picks to open the door for negotiations.[/li][li]Please include a short summary of why you made the pick. Note the highlights for the player and the needs for the team as you see it.[/li][li]Comments and discussion is encouraged from the peanut gallery, whether you’re one of our GMs or not. This is supposed to be social and fun.[/li][li]We will continue the draft for a minimum of 2 rounds. We may go into the 3rd or 4th round when we get there if things are going well.[/li][li]Do a little research before you pick, we want this to be somewhat realistic and informative.[/li][li]You are acting as the GM, pick the player who will be best for your team in the long run. The goal is NOT to replicate the outcome of the actual draft, regardless of what the news is reporting the pick is likely to be.[/li][li]Stick with the format that is used for the opening pick to make it easily scannable/readable. [/li][li]Have fun with it.[/li][/ul]

Here’s the team assignments.

1. Indianapolis Colts - garygnu
2. Washington Redskins - DCnDC
3. Minnesota Vikings - Hamlet
4. Cleveland Browns - SenorBeef
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Oakminster
6. St. Louis Rams - RetroVertigo
7. Jacksonville Jaguars - furt
8. Miami Dolphins - Omniscient
9. Carolina Panthers - Jules Andre
10. Buffalo Bills - Omniscient
11. Kansas City Chiefs - SenorBeef
12. Seattle Seahawks - Hamlet
13. Arizona Cardinals - RetroVertigo
14. Dallas Cowboys - kidchameleon
15. Philadelphia Eagles - Jules Andre
16. New York Jets - Gray Ghost
17. Cincinnati Bengals - It’s Not Rocket Surgery!
18. San Diego Chargers - TheBoltEater
19. Chicago Bears - Omniscient
20. Tennessee Titans - Oakminster
21. Cincinnati Bengals - It’s Not Rocket Surgery!
22. Cleveland Browns - SenorBeef
23. Detroit Lions - Gangster Octopus
24. Pittsburgh Steelers - furt
25. Denver Broncos - TheBoltEater
26. Houston Texans - Gray Ghost
27. New England Patriots - ShadowFacts
28. Green Bay Packers - Gangster Octopus
29. Baltimore Ravens - DCnDC
30. San Francisco 49ers - garygnu
31. New England Patriots - ShadowFacts
32. New York Giants - It’s Not Rocket Surgery!

Additional Team Assignments
55. Atlanta Falcons - garygnu
89. New Orleans Saints - Oakminster
95. Oakland Raiders - garygnu

The Indianapolis Colts are on the clock. I’ll post the pick myself as discussed in the recruitment thread. Try and copy the format I use just for consistency.

The Bucs are on the phone with the Vikings as we speak…and they are talking to an undisclosed third party. Big trade could be in the works…

1. Indianapolis Colts
Andrew Luck
QB, Standford

And the least suspenseful pick of the entire draft is in the books. I’ll let today’s ESPN article do the talking.

Luck has been called the greatest prospect since Peyton Manning. Whether or not that’s true I can’t say, but the pick is a no-brainer for them and was only made more certain the day the released Hall of Famer Peyton Manning. He’ll have a lot of work to do on one of the worst NFL rosters in years, with a new GM and Head Coach but Luck is a pretty good place to start.

2. Washington Redskins
Robert Griffin III
QB, Baylor

The Redskins haven’t had a true franchise QB since LT rearranged Joe Theismann’s leg almost 30 years ago. Sexy Rexy was never the answer. We traded away the farm so we could get this guy, and it’s a huge gamble, but what’s done is done, and frankly it’s nowhere near the worst bet I’ve ever seen. The whole salary-cap thing hamstrings us a bit extra for the next couple of years, but that’s a whole other enchilada. In any case, we’ve plugged that gaping hole under center, and have a QB to build a team around.

As I said in the other thread:

"Just keep in mind that, were this the real world, I wouldn’t have been telling you that I’m planning on selecting Kalil, so if your guy isn’t Kalil, you’d be a lot more worried that I may pick your guy, thereby making you more willing to make the trade.

That’s one of the reasons there is so much disinformation going out leading up to the draft. Trying to draw conclusions from planted whispers to media guys or from who teams have in for visits is folly. The lies run deep."

Or maybe I’m not really planning on picking Kalil. Maybe I’m doing the old switcharoo double cross behind the back sly move and I’m really set on Claiborne. Or Tannehill. I really like that Tannehill guy.

True…and I might be trading up to get a punter.

Got a counteroffer pending with the undisclosed third party, should know something soon…

That Blackmon. Wow, he’s amazing. 2 straight years of more than 1500 yards and 18 or more td’s in college. Damn, he’s fantastic. I’m really re-thinking this thing …

And Richardson. I haven’t seen a guy run like Richardson since Adrian Peterson. With Peterson’s injury looming large, it makes a lot of sense. …

Also, the Browns offer 19 first round picks to move up to #2 and select RG3.

Claiborne can just do it all, can’t he? Amazing talent, and with our depleted secondary, he’d be an instant upgrade and a fantastic addition to our defense. And over 25 yard per return average on kickoffs. Damn he’s versatile. …

Nah…Richardson is overrated. Ingram was a better back, and he hasn’t produced much in the NFL either.

Unfortunately, we lost the telephone connection to our third party. Redialing now…

Quick Commisioner’s note.

I appreciate everyone PMing their availability and keeping me informed, but please use discretion when sending me your draft boards and proxy picks. As you will note, I’m also drafting for 3 teams myself and when you tell me who you’re picking it can taint my thoughts about whom I’m going to be picking. Feel free to send me proxy picks and commentary when you’re a couple picks away and going to be AFK for half the day, but if you’re just going to be gone for an hour we’ll all be fine waiting for you to get back to make your pick on your own. It’s not a race, we want everyone to participate fully, we have a week to finish this up worst case scenario.

Anyone else hear that Kalil had really bad interviews at the combine and may have failed a drug test in college. I heard that …

Really close to pulling the trigger on this trade. Waiting for final confirmation from my third party…

Just to be sure you read it since I posted it in the other thread, but you can have the #4 pick for your 3rd and 4th rounder, to make sure the Browns don’t snatch your guy.

RYAN KALIL KILLED A HOOKER IN TIJUANA!!! Whoever you are thinking about picking is the guy our coach simply raved about and is threatening to quit if we don’t pick him.

Whoa…wasn’t expecting that. But I don’t think Tampa has a 4th this year…

Okay, how about you give up your 2nd, and the Browns give you their 3rd rounder (#67)? Double pick swap. So #4 and #67 for #5 and #36?

Otherwise the Browns will snatch up someone from the SEC you like!

Crap. this site says Tampa does not have a 4th this year, which was a key element of the trade with my undisclosed third party…

I am tempted…but am committed in principle to my third party, if we can work out my lack of a 4th…hold the line please.