The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 10-01-2012, 06:52 AM

The Creepy Thread (Stories and Links Welcome)

Okay, it's near my favorite time of the year and I'm seriously jonesing for some creepy material. There have been many threads in the past that have collected creepy material and I hope that this one becomes a repository for all things creepy. I've been collecting some of the material below from prior threads and elsewhere....

That said, here's my list of creepy stuff. Please add your own stories or links!

You Tube Creepy Stuff:
Mr. Creepy Pasta - I find the narration effective and some of the CP's are good. Plus the user has tons of videos and seems to be making new ones all the time.
The Little Fears - another Creepy Pasta site, although not as prolific as the first. I actually find her voice more effective.
Here are a few of her's:
One in the Oven, The German Medic, and Candle Cove.
Reptile Woman - UFO Reptilian / Demon Morphing
Possible fallen angel in Catalonia (Spain)
Worlds scariest video.
MarbleHornets's channel
Rubber Johnny
Suicide Forest in Japan
The Ghost Girl from a Cemetery in Mexico
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know - Dyatlov Pass
Max Headroom WTTW Pirating Incident - 11/22/87
Rigoletto - La Donna E Mobile

Straight Dope Threads:
Very Vaguely Creepy
Weird, gross, creepy, or unsettling moments you've had
Creepy and spooky Youtube
I wanna get creeped out! Tell me some creepy stuff!
What weird thing frightens the bejesus out of you?
Very vaguely creepy: the YouTube version
Creepy Experiences and Sights
Share Your Creepy House Stuff
Tell me about a time when you were bone-chillingly, teeth-chatteringly scared
Things That Almost Scared The Pee-widdle Out Of You
Last time you were scared, as in, boogie monster stuff
In honor of Halloween...
true sppoky halloween tales
Tell us about the time you were most frightened
Very vaguely creepy, The Sequel
Very Vaguely Creepy III: La Nouvelle Vague
Return of the Son of Very Vaguely Creepy...
Marble Hornets - did anybody here catch on to this meme?
Advertisements  
Old 10-01-2012, 06:54 AM

Around the Web:

Ted's Caving Page
(Based on this story - PDF)
It Happened to Me! (Fortean Times forum). There are a few good ones here, I liked this one in particular: Strange "kid" on boat ramp
SCP Foundation
The Holders Series
KING'S CAPUCHINS' CATACOMBS
Warehouse 23
About's Your True Tales
The Official Shadow People Archive
Pseudopod
The most creepy stuff on the web
The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft
The Story of the City of Brass
B's Epic Creepy Stories Forum
The May Day Mystery
Serene Knowledge (Hodge podge of stuff)
Ray Bradbury. The October Game
Surfing the Apocalypse
THE BECKONING FAIR ONE
The Monkey's Paw
THE HORLA
The Keys to D'Espérance
dead man's liver
Utah's Time/Space Warp Gadianton Canyon Encounter
99 Rooms
Reddit No Sleep:
Penpals (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
The Dionaea House
Play With Me
Dining Room
Hoogerbrugge
Corpses for sale
This Man
Abandoned on Everest
Snopes Horror Section
TvTropes CreepyPasta Page
CreepyPasta Wiki
Shadowlands Haunted Places Index
History's Most Overlooked Mysteries
About's Paranormal Section
The Dropa Stone Discs
The most creepy stuff on the web
The Crying Boy Curse Myth
Old Creepy Ads
The Crying Boy by Bragolin and others
Monsterlist of Halloween Projects (Do it yourself projects)
The Enigma of Amigara Fault
The Legend of the Bell Witch
The Solway Firth Photo, 1964 (Spaceman)
Cryptid Wiki
10 More Mysteries that remain unsolved
Earth's Unsolved X-Files
Scary Real Life Moments (IMDB Threads):
(3, 4)
BB.Com Threads (CreepyPasta Thread, IIT: We post Scary, Creepy Thread, Creepy Adventures as a Kid, Isthisrealife)
Devil's Hole Cave
FFX Underground Threads (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

There was one webpage that I've been trying to find, it featured a guy who created a chat program. One day someone was interacting with it, thinking no one would read the chat logs, and confessed to being hundreds of years old (sort of like the man from earth). Anyone know what site it was (if it still exists)?
Old 10-01-2012, 09:35 AM

I came here this morning just for this. Wonder if we can get a whole sections started again this year? I'm beginning to think I've seen the entire internet.

My contributions:
Scary anime comic
The Hanged Man - The entire SCP Foundation collection is uber-creepy, but this is my favorite.
Hidden Mother photography
Old 10-01-2012, 10:03 AM

One more (quite recent) from the Dope: My creepy story and yours.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gesturing Mildly View Post
I knew exactly what this was going to be. I love that one, though I'm rarely actually able to finish it. (The Korean-language original did better on the scary parts, actually, but the translation at least saves it from 'wtf'?)
Old 10-01-2012, 12:06 PM

I love creepypasta! Before I knew what it was (and 4chan was not even a single line of code on moot's computer) I used to browse Snopes' Horror section.

I've never worked up the patience to go through all of the SCP Foundation - I admit, I like my creepypasta to have a quick payoff. I recently got through the Penpal series on /r/nosleepand loved it so much.

I don't do visual creepy stuff though, that's too much. I went through the Korean comic with no sound and slooooooow scrolling and that was enough for me!
Old 10-01-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushiel View Post
I love creepypasta! Before I knew what it was (and 4chan was not even a single line of code on moot's computer) I used to browse Snopes' Horror section.
Same here. I still browse Snope's horror section. The problem with searching for good creepypasta on 4chan is you have to deal with 4chan. :-)

Quote:
I've never worked up the patience to go through all of the SCP Foundation - I admit, I like my creepypasta to have a quick payoff. I recently got through the Penpal series on /r/nosleepand loved it so much.
I hear you - I think I went through almost all of the holder's series...oddly enough, but not the SCP Foundation yet.

Penpal was good - I'm thinking about getting the book. I'd like to support the author.

Quote:
I don't do visual creepy stuff though, that's too much. I went through the Korean comic with no sound and slooooooow scrolling and that was enough for me!
:-)

I like creepy visuals as long as they aren't screamers. To me that just seems cheap and once you've seen it, there's not much more to it. A 5 second creep and that's it. Whereas something like the Hands That Resist him is a bit more interesting.

I read that the artist did a sequel, but I couldn't find it on his site. :-(
Old 10-02-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatros View Post
I read that the artist did a sequel, but I couldn't find it on his site. :-(
Ask, and ye shall receive! Submitted for your consideration, here comes...

"THE GHOST OF OK-SU STATION"

At your service!
Old 10-02-2012, 09:40 AM

Can someone link to this penpal business? Sounds intriguing.

SCP is hit-or-miss, IMO. It's one of those inside jokes that gets creepier (or funnier for some of them) the more you read. There's one, I can't find it now, that involves some sort of end-of-the-world scenario that always gives me the shivers.

Sometimes I feel like an old druggie with this stuff. I'm always looking for another hit, but it's been a long, long time since I've found anything that really does it for me. I'm hoping for good stuff in a couple weeks when Sinister comes out!
Old 10-02-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Can someone link to this penpal business? Sounds intriguing.
It's in my third post, there are 6 parts.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseB View Post
Ask, and ye shall receive! Submitted for your consideration, here comes...

"THE GHOST OF OK-SU STATION"

At your service!
Ha! Thanks - I was actually asking for the sequel to 'The Hands That Resist him', but that is a good find as well!
Old 10-02-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
It's in my third post, there are 6 parts.
Ah, thank you! I realize now I was being kind of a dick and not reading your lists very closely!

Also, can I just say how much it thrills me to see you've listed two of my top-five scary stories, "The October Game" and "The Keys to D'Esperance"?
Old 10-02-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:

Reddit No Sleep:
Old 10-03-2012, 06:44 AM

I like this thread. I finished reading the Penpals series, and I want to buy the kindle book, but it says it's not available in the Asia-pacific. Gotta ask them about that.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Also, can I just say how much it thrills me to see you've listed two of my top-five scary stories, "The October Game" and "The Keys to D'Esperance"?
Well now...What are the other three? ;-)
Old 10-03-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronX View Post
I like this thread. I finished reading the Penpals series, and I want to buy the kindle book, but it says it's not available in the Asia-pacific. Gotta ask them about that.
I think it's available at other places. On his FB page, he mentions an e-store. I don't have time to really dig into it today though.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Well now...What are the other three? ;-)
Well, the third is Ramsey Campbell's "The Pattern."

Not sure the other two. I always list these three as my favorites, but then got to doubting myself and thought surely there must be two I like better. I just can't think of them!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:47 AM

Cracked: 6 creepiest places on Earth part 2
http://www.cracked.com/article_18830...th-part-2.html
Old 10-03-2012, 10:05 AM

In order to not just post to subscribe and peruse all those links (seriously, that's quite a collection!) later on, I think one thing you missed out is EverymanHYBRID, which is kinda in the Marble Hornets-vein (both are also related to the whole 'Slenderman'-thing, I believe).
Old 10-03-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Around the Web:

Ted's Caving Page
(Based on this story - PDF)
Reddit No Sleep:
I've Ted's caving page before and enjoyed it. But I just read the Nosleep pages. The author sure did a great job of tying the stories together with callbacks.

Last edited by Hypno-Toad; 10-03-2012 at 11:54 AM..
Old 10-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Confusing the polarity
Charter Member

Ooh, cool, creepy stuff! I just read through all six parts of the Penpals series, and liked it so much I bought the book.

I read the Holders series last year (I think I found that off a Dope link too) and it was nice to revisit it again.

Love the creepy stuff.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Well, the third is Ramsey Campbell's "The Pattern."

Not sure the other two. I always list these three as my favorites, but then got to doubting myself and thought surely there must be two I like better. I just can't think of them!
Why does that sound so familiar? I'm going to have to check it out.

Right now I'm listening to the audiobook 'John Dies at the End', which is really good and I felt I should mention it in this thread.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:15 AM

Once upon a time on SDMB I found a creepy story someone wrote about a group of US soldiers (in present day) staying in an old Nazi HQ in Germany the seemed haunted. Ring any bells? I don't recognize any of the links as being it.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:42 AM

I think it might be in one of the VVC threads, Gedd. I remember reading the same one- whispers of "You'll be alright" in people's ears and that kind of thing?
Old 10-06-2012, 11:25 AM

Here is my short thread about a true creepy story that I wrote up and won a $100 prize in my old hometown newspaper.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:30 PM

It's hard to believe that it's been five years since I received that curious parcel. Some people found that affair a trifle creepy. (Others engaged in fish-duels, but what can you expect on the Dope? )
Old 10-07-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
It's hard to believe that it's been five years since I received that curious parcel. Some people found that affair a trifle creepy. (Others engaged in fish-duels, but what can you expect on the Dope? )
I just finished it - that was excellent!
Old 10-07-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I just finished it - that was excellent!
Heh--you got to read straight through it. It was originally spread over the thirteen days leading up to Halloween, and I think people were getting ready to lynch me by the finale.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Around the Web:
This one creeps me in a very personal way because of a recurring dream I had as a kid from about seven to ten. I would wake up outside my house, sometimes only ten feet away and sometmes a hundred yards, and stare at the porch light and dark windows knowing that everyone was asleep inside. Including me. I knew that my body lay in that house and only my consciousness was outside. Somehow I would have to make it back to my body but I didn't know how. I could see the stars in the night sky and the moonlight on the pasture, the way the light from the porch cast shadows, all of it very clear. I could look down and see grass or gravel, sometimes with frost on a cold night, but I could see no part of me. It scared me deeply because I felt so alone and didn't know if I could ever get back. I would though. I would lay awake a bit after savoring the feel of being in my own skin and praying I never had that dream again.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedd View Post
Once upon a time on SDMB I found a creepy story someone wrote about a group of US soldiers (in present day) staying in an old Nazi HQ in Germany the seemed haunted. Ring any bells? I don't recognize any of the links as being it.
I remember that one, too: Humper-Monkey's Ghost Story
Old 10-08-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantih View Post
I remember that one, too: Humper-Monkey's Ghost Story
Yep, that's it!
Old 10-09-2012, 08:31 AM

I found this today:

Quote:
Odessa is not far from the capital of Ukraine - Kiev. Under Odessa consists the biggest katakombs in the world. Their total length is more than 2500 km, so this katakombs are much more bigger than Paris katakombs.
In fact Odessa katakombs are much more "younger" than katakombs in Paris.
Stone that was mined there was used for the construction of the city from 1794 till 1980s.
Nowadays these mines are absolutelly abandoned!
During the World War II a lot of citizens were hiding in catacombs. A lot of them used to live there for a year and more. So even today it is possible to find weapons, equipment and even dead bodies.
Every year a lot of explorers lost and even die there.
Unfortunatelly our government try to close all the entrances to catacombs, but you know, it`s impossible.
Starting at post five:
Quote:
As I said earlier, a lot of people lost and even dead under Odessa.
Maybe this photo will shock you.
It`s a dead body of the 19-years old girl, who has lost the right way in the maze. Her body was found only after 2 years.
+
Quote:
She went with her friends into katakombs to celebrate a 2005s new year. It was a very big bad-experiment group, so probably when in the morning drunk group left katakombs, they forgot girl inside. It was a very long and painful death! She couldn't find an entrance.
She was taken out only in the end of 2007 аnd buried.
+
Quote:
During the time she was inside her "friends" didn't try to take her bоdy out. Probably they were frightened. А few explorers were comming inside to make photos of her. I made this photo in Аpril 2005. Аfter thаt I called police, but they did not want to go inside. Her body was far from the exit.
In the end my friend, а famous journalist, wrote аn article with а lot of photos of this poor girl аnd showed it to the government. After this during 24 hours her body has been taken out.
Another poster (ActionSatisfaction Esq. ) writes this, which creeped me out:

Quote:
Imagine the sheer terror she must've felt as she wandered around lost. Especially after her flashlight went out. She probably screamed until her throat bled. Desperately searching for a way out, believing she heard or felt a gust of wind..or perhaps mistaking a hypnogognic flash for light. I wonder at what point she gave up, sat down and died. Or if maybe she never gave up at all, and died there crawling across the floor, fighting in vain towards the possibility of an exit. I wonder what she saw when the hallucinations set in, as her organs failed from dehydration there in the darkness.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:56 AM

The History of Halloween:

Quote:
Ancient Origins of Halloween

Halloween's origins date back to the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain (pronounced sow-in). The Celts, who lived 2,000 years ago in the area that is now Ireland, the United Kingdom and northern France, celebrated their new year on November 1. This day marked the end of summer and the harvest and the beginning of the dark, cold winter, a time of year that was often associated with human death. Celts believed that on the night before the new year, the boundary between the worlds of the living and the dead became blurred. On the night of October 31 they celebrated Samhain, when it was believed that the ghosts of the dead returned to earth. In addition to causing trouble and damaging crops, Celts thought that the presence of the otherworldly spirits made it easier for the Druids, or Celtic priests, to make predictions about the future. For a people entirely dependent on the volatile natural world, these prophecies were an important source of comfort and direction during the long, dark winter.

To commemorate the event, Druids built huge sacred bonfires, where the people gathered to burn crops and animals as sacrifices to the Celtic deities. During the celebration, the Celts wore costumes, typically consisting of animal heads and skins, and attempted to tell each other's fortunes. When the celebration was over, they re-lit their hearth fires, which they had extinguished earlier that evening, from the sacred bonfire to help protect them during the coming winter.

By 43 A.D., the Roman Empire had conquered the majority of Celtic territory. In the course of the four hundred years that they ruled the Celtic lands, two festivals of Roman origin were combined with the traditional Celtic celebration of Samhain. The first was Feralia, a day in late October when the Romans traditionally commemorated the passing of the dead. The second was a day to honor Pomona, the Roman goddess of fruit and trees. The symbol of Pomona is the apple and the incorporation of this celebration into Samhain probably explains the tradition of "bobbing" for apples that is practiced today on Halloween.

On May 13, 609 A.D., Pope Boniface IV dedicated the Pantheon in Rome in honor of all Christian martyrs, and the Catholic feast of All Martyrs Day was established in the Western church. Pope Gregory III (731–741) later expanded the festival to include all saints as well as all martyrs, and moved the observance from May 13 to November 1. By the 9th century the influence of Christianity had spread into Celtic lands, where it gradually blended with and supplanted the older Celtic rites. In 1000 A.D., the church would make November 2 All Souls' Day, a day to honor the dead. It is widely believed today that the church was attempting to replace the Celtic festival of the dead with a related, but church-sanctioned holiday. All Souls Day was celebrated similarly to Samhain, with big bonfires, parades, and dressing up in costumes as saints, angels and devils. The All Saints Day celebration was also called All-hallows or All-hallowmas (from Middle English Alholowmesse meaning All Saints' Day) and the night before it, the traditional night of Samhain in the Celtic religion, began to be called All-hallows Eve and, eventually, Halloween.
Much more on the website.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:16 AM

Not really creepy, per say, more strange (and actually thoroughly debunked), is the story of John Titor.

His story can be found here:

Quote:
Although there is debate over the exact date it started, on November 02, 2000, a person calling themselves Timetravel_0, and later John Titor, started posting on a public forum that he was a time traveler from the year 2036.

One of the first things he did was post pictures of his time machine and its operations manual. As the weeks went by, more and more people began questioning him about why he was here, the physics of time travel and his thoughts about our time. He also posted on other forums including the now non-existent Art Bell site. In his posts John Titor entertained, angered, frightened and even belittled those who engaged him in conversation.

On March 21, 2001, John Titor told us he would be leaving our and returning to 2036. After that, he was never heard from again. Speculation and investigation about who John Titor was and why he was online continues to this day.

Although it may be easy to dismiss all this as science fiction, most people who read his posts agree that there is something very haunting about John Titor and what he said. In addition, and open to more debate, he also made a series of predictions and comments that eerily seem to be coming true.

Unfortunately, I never spoke directly to John Titor but there are many out there who have and continue to wonder about their experience. As you get deeper and deeper into the story, you will find his posts, links to other sites about him, downloads and speculative information attributed to him after he left. I have taken the posts and organized them by date and subject. My editorial work is copyrighted but the unedited posts and the people who experienced it are in the public domain can be found on other sites listed inside.

As you read, please try to keep two things in mind:

1. John appeared to answer nearly every question that was asked of him over the 4-month period he was online. Because of that, many people neglected to read the previous posts and asked similar or exact questions he had already answered. It may offer a glimpse of what a time traveler goes through when having the same conversation again and again.

2. These posts were written before 911, the Discovery accident and the second gulf war. Many people believe John may have known of these events and dropped clues without actually referring to them. It's also widely agreed that he made several predictions about future physics discoveries that have materialized as he stated.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:38 AM

Then there's this:
Let Me Hear Your War Cry
Old 10-10-2012, 09:56 AM

I don't have anything to add, but wanted to say thanks for posting enough reading material to keep me fascinated (and under-productive) for days.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark View Post
Here is my short thread about a true creepy story that I wrote up and won a $100 prize in my old hometown newspaper.
i remember reading that story before in one of the creepy stories threads floating around out there (i love digging those up, especially this time of year) and it has always stuck in my mind. shudder.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:29 AM

La Llorona - Weeping Woman of the Southwest (wiki):

Quote:
The legend of La Llorona (pronounced "LAH yoh ROH nah"), Spanish for the Weeping Woman, has been a part of Hispanic culture in the Southwest since the days of the conquistadores. The tall, thin spirit is said to be blessed with natural beauty and long flowing black hair. Wearing a white gown, she roams the rivers and creeks, wailing into the night and searching for children to drag, screaming to a watery grave.
Hellhoundslair - a collection of stories

A Voice from the Past:

Quote:
Katrina Pierce was writing the daily specials on her menu board as she had done every day since Feb. 19 when a man behind her whispered, "What are you doing?"
The Disappearing Girl Part 1, Part 2

Quote:
Author’s note: This is the first of a two-part series about the Torres family who, after moving into their new home, discovered something was already there.

The Ghost in the Mirror: Phantoms or Psychological Illusions?

Quote:
Do you remember playing “Bloody Mary” when you were a child? You know, the game where you stared into a mirror and chanted the name of the blood-witch mentioned above three times, with the eminent risk that a devilish ghost would emerge from the reflective surface and rip your face off?
Strigoi:

Quote:
In Romanian mythology, strigoi (English: poltergeist)[1] are the troubled souls of the dead rising from the grave. Some strigoi can be living people with certain magical properties. Some of the properties of the strigoi include: the ability to transform into an animal, invisibility, and the propensity to drain the vitality of victims via blood loss. Strigoi are also known as immortal vampires.
A legend:

Quote:
The Witch's Kiss

As mentioned previously, the strigoi have another power quite unique to ghouls -- the ability to create progeny. A strigoi vii may actually perform a partial Embrace, an act that dooms a mortal into becoming strigoi, a gradual transformation that may last over ten long and painful years. Not any mortal, however, may be so transformed by the Witch's Kiss; the strigoi are bound to select their victims from a rather exclusive pool. Candidates include witches and satanists, the unbaptized and the excommunicated, children born with a caul or a vestigial tail, the congenitally deformed, and the seventh son of a seventh son.

The Witch's Kiss is carried on much like a proper Embrace. The strigoi vii must drain the blood of her victim, a process that usually takes over a week of nightly visitations. Then, upon the last visit, the dying human must be coerced into drinking the blood of the strigoi vii. This is usually followed by a terrible sickness and a long convalescence, and often the victim never fully recovers his health. Not that it really matters, for by that time the unfortunate soul is doomed. After a few years of dormancy, the metamorphosis begins, and the progeny will begin to acquire the characteristics of a strigoi vii. One of the first signs is often a shift in personality -- almost as if something good inside the person has just curdled and died, leaving behind a sour and vindictive shell. People begin avoiding the poor wretch, and many notice the appearance of a faint but foul odor. Deformities begin appearing or growing worse, the skin dries up and starts oozing pus, and bones begin to elongate. Soon the progeny begins to feel his whole nature changing, and as a taste for normal food atrophies, a desire for fresh blood begins to assert itself with a maddening tenacity. The discipline of Nascence develops, and he begins to notice that his very presence has the power to profoundly disturb the sleeping -- an effect that gives him a strange sense of renewed energy. By this time, he has either been noticed by the Strigoi or will seek them out himself. Upon his first taste of Strigoi vitae, the transformation is complete.

If a mortal cannot find Strigoi blood to insure his ghoulish future, the transformation will eventually take a turn for the worse, and his body will begin to decompose. If no infusions of vitae are allowed to renew his tainted blood, he will die within ten to fifteen years of receiving the Witch's Kiss.

There is one interesting rumor, however, that may provide a glimpse of possible redemption. Some say that the transformation can be reversed at any point before the progeny drinks Strigoi blood and becomes a full strigoi vii. All that need be done is locate the creature that infected him and kill her, driving a stake through her heart and filling the mouth of her severed head with holy wafers....
Old 10-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ha! Thanks - I was actually asking for the sequel to 'The Hands That Resist him', but that is a good find as well!
Resistance at the Threshold!

(You may need to scroll down just a bit.)
Old 10-11-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
Resistance at the Threshold!

(You may need to scroll down just a bit.)
Thanks, that's great!

I found these two videos today - someone dresses up as Slenderman and pranks people: Part One, Part Two.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:20 AM

I linked to Creepypasta before, but I especially like this one:

The Scariest Video Game Ever

Quote:
I just got done playing one of the SCARIEST video games ever. Now, hear me out before saying, "Oh, he's probably just a fag that gets scared of everything." I don't get scared of video games or movies. I've played many survival horror games and have seen many horror movies in my day. The only thing that made me just a tiny bit scared were some parts of Penumbra and Condemned. Amnesia was pretty good. Everything else was just boring. This game was different. VERY different.

You aren't given any sort of backstory to the game at all. As soon as you press play, it throws you right into the game. However, I was able to piece together what the story basically is through finally beating this little brick shitter. Apparently, you're a madman. We're never given the name, but you can guess what it is if you pay attention to the title screen. For some reason, you escaped from whatever mental hospital room you were hiding in. Now, the very horrid state of your mind has transformed the halls of the hospital into nothing but a pitch black maze with the only light being the walls, which glow a deathly blue.

Your character is apparently some type of mad cannibal that you can barely control. You can force him to turn corners in the creepy hallway, but not much else can be done. Your character seems to grab anything and try to eat it; whatever is in front of him is thrown into his mouth and he munches it down.

While playing the game, you're being chased by four hideous and fucking scary ghost monsters. You cannot hurt them at all, and to come even close to one is instant death, in which the ghost latches onto you and rips you inside all, all while you hear the horrible noise of your body being torn.

You can, however, eat some odd objects hidden in the maze, after which your character goes into an even more unstable state. You can literally EAT the ghost monsters. Your character runs right up to them and devours them, only leaving their eyes.

There aren't any words to describe how horrific and terrifying this game is, and I don't want to spoil the surprises for you. Just go ahead and try it for yourself. Google the word Pac-Man and you'll find it on the first search.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:39 PM

Found on internet

"TRUE STORY
Let me start by saying: No alcohol, drugs or any other mind-altering substances were involved, and I've not told anyone this story except my wife.

In November 1978 in deep south texas, I was driving home around 1:00 a.m. and came to a 4-way stop in a sparsely populated area. As I started to turn right, I noticed about 100 yards ahead what appeared to be a baby around 3 years old standing in the middle of the road wearing nothing but a diaper(remember, this was November) holding on to the collar of a very large german shepard. I was able to guess at the age of the baby, because he/she was about the same height as the dog.

Anyway, I stopped my turn and drove towards this spectacle, as I was concerned for the safety of the child. I wasn't feeling anything spooky(yet). As I approached them, the kid turned away from me and began to run away from me right down the centerstripe AT FULL SPEED with the grace and coordination of an olympic athlete. I say at full speed, because the dog was not trotting, but running with him. The kid was still holding on to the dog's collar.

I stopped the car and when I did, they stopped too. So I started towards them again and when I did, they darted off into the brush. I just blew it off and put the car in reverse to get back through the intersection, and when I did, they came out again. This scenario happened 3 times, each time I was getting closer to them. On the 4th time, all of a sudden, I had the coldest, deepest fear come over me like a blanket, goosebumps covered my entire body and I began to tremble, and as God as my witness, a little voice came into my head and told me to turn around and don't look back. Felt like one of those dreams when you're trying to run and your feet can't move fast enough. I hauled @ss home(about a half mile away), and RAN in the house as fast as I could! It felt EVIL!

That in itself is strange, but here's where it really gets weird. Over the years, I've heard the same story from at least 5 different people who I'd never met before, the latest being 3 weeks ago from an eighty year old distant relation at an aunt's funeral.

In addition, around 1990-92, M.C. Hammer had a video out where he and his band end up in the basement of a spooky house where there was a halloween-type costume party going on with all the devils and demons and such, and in one of the scenes, A KID IN A DIAPER HOLDING ON TO A GERMAN SHEPARD walks across the screen - I just about fell out of my chair when I saw that! "
Old 10-14-2012, 04:57 AM

Here's a list of the top 10 scary short films online. I've only seen the first (Bedfellows) previously, and it's excellent, so if the rest live up to that standard, there should be a few good ones...
Old 10-14-2012, 12:10 PM

Great thread, Meatros. I was having a jolly time home alone last night, going through the Very Vaguely Creepy threads, and some of the posts were not vaguely creepy at all. I had to turn on the TV for some comforting noise, and go look at something else after this one.

I'll read some more today while it's still daylight...!
Old 10-14-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
Here's a list of the top 10 scary short films online. I've only seen the first (Bedfellows) previously, and it's excellent, so if the rest live up to that standard, there should be a few good ones...
That guy's blog is good. I think he's got a freaky Friday section that's filled with interesting stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post
Great thread, Meatros. I was having a jolly time home alone last night, going through the Very Vaguely Creepy threads, and some of the posts were not vaguely creepy at all. I had to turn on the TV for some comforting noise, and go look at something else after this one.

I'll read some more today while it's still daylight...!
But it's more fun to read at night...

Yes, some of the people who contribute to these threads/stories are quite talented.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:56 PM

If it's all right to link to other boards, this one (some kind of gun forum) has some good stories.

The following post there is an example of the kind of creepy story I like, apparently posted by a vet:

Quote:
In 2005 early 2006 in Jalabad Afghanistan.

We were having a boring day, nothing had been going on for about a week. Everything was quiet and going good. Had just come back from a vehicle patrol and was counting everything getting ready to put the boys in the rack. All of a sudden, all the radios come to life. Someone on the other end is screaming about being ambushed and getting whacked to pieces.

Everyone in earshot gets that " Oh shit" look on their faces, and I yell at my APL to get the trucks reloaded and have everyone suited up and ready to roll in 5 minutes while I run to the COC and find out where we are needed. As I enter the COC, it is hopping. Radios going off, guy still screaming, guns going off.

The RO is trying to break in and find out who is in contact. Jump on BN freq and ask them who is in contact and if we need to roll to them. BN says everyone reports negative contact and to stand by. BN gets in contact with higher, who is also recieving the transmission, and they report all units are reporting negative contact.

Radios going crazy, you can hear all kinds of screaming; people in pain, people screaming to break contact... and suddenly we hear " Get that GD 60 rolling! " We all look at each other and ask 60? as in the machinegun? Voice comes back screaming about " Get the pig going! Get it going! " Then, he starts screaming in pain, and the transmission cuts out.

No one had contact that day. No one. That was the freaking thing that ever happened to me. Had a nightmare about it that night.
As clarified later in the thread, "60" and "pig" refers to a type of machine gun that hadn't been in service in over a decade (at least according to the poster).
Old 10-16-2012, 02:06 PM

An Interview with a Ghost

Ghosts and ghouls at the abbey

Quote:
NEWSTEAD Abbey, the former home of Lord Byron, attracts many visitors but when darkness falls and the abbey closes, its resident ghosts and spirits once again take claim to the corridors and rooms.

GHOSTS AND GHOULS THAT HAUNT THE INTERNET

GHOST STORIES FROM THE PHILIPPINES

Quote:
There was also the ghost of the woman clad in all black who hailed tricycles (a form of public transport in rural Philippine areas consisting of a motorcycle and covered sidecar) to take her to the Tulay na Malamig, literally “Cold Bridge,” on the outskirts of town. The hapless driver she supposedly paid upon arrival with a peso bill. A strong, cold wind would suddenly emerge, blowing the bill into his eyes and blinding him momentarily. Peeling it from his face, the driver discovered that the strange woman had disappeared, prompting a scared retreat.

One version explaining the phenomenon of the Tulay na Malamig has to do with my great grandmother Pelagia R. Her husband Cirilo A. was a revolutionary commanding a band against foreign rule. First struggling for freedom from the colonial Spanish, he and his group did not surrender their arms when American forces took over the Philippines in 1898. As the story goes, a spy gave up his group’s position to the Americans one day in 1900, and Cirilo was felled by a bullet to the leg fired as he sat on his horse. He awoke to find himself in a hospital, leg amputated due to the severity of the bullet wound. Surrounded by Caucasian faces, he began to struggle, crying out that he no longer wanted to live under a foreign flag, be it Spanish or American. He died from the resultant severe hemorrhaging.
THE TOP TEN BEST MOST HAUNTED PARANORMAL WEB SITES ON THE INTERNET (2010 - 2011)
Old 10-19-2012, 07:02 AM

I found this the other day:
Krampus:

Quote:
Krampus is a mythical creature recognized in Alpine countries. According to legend, Krampus accompanies Saint Nicholas during the Christmas season, warning and punishing bad children, in contrast to St. Nicholas, who gives gifts to good children. When the Krampus finds a particularly naughty child, it stuffs the child in its sack and carries the frightened child away to its lair, presumably to devour for its Christmas dinner.
+

Quote:
Although Krampus appears in many variations, most share some common physical characteristics. He is hairy, usually brown or black, and has the cloven hooves and horns of a goat. His long pointed tongue lolls out.[1][8]

Krampus carries chains, thought to symbolize the binding of the Devil by the Christian Church. He thrashes the chains for dramatic effect. The chains are sometimes accompanied with bells of various sizes.[9] Of more pagan origins are the ruten, bundles of birch branches that Krampus carries and occasionally swats children with. The ruten have significance in pre-Christian pagan initiation rites.[1] The birch branches are replaced with a whip in some representations. Sometimes Krampus appears with a sack or a washtub strapped to his back; this is to cart off evil children for drowning, eating, or transport to Hell.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:07 AM

A few more SDMB threads to add:

Your True Unexplainable/Ghost/UFO/Alien Stories
Have you ever known a truly evil person?
Little Things You Find Creepy