You are a god, how do you pass your time?

Hypothetical (don’t fight it):

• You have the power of creation
  • You have the power to create life and to know the minds of your creations
  • You have the basic god-power package (telekinesis, transformation, supreme wisdom, ability set in motion long-term planetary events, etc.)
  • BUT you have not yet created a world beyond the heaven you and your angelic minions reside in. You’ve toyed with the idea but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

What’s you average day look like? Are you working on creating dufflepuds in a laboratory? Are you doing R&D on self-contained perpetual fision/fusion reactors? Are you hunting down other god-beings and writing odd things on their faces with a Sharpie?

It doesn’t make sense.

On Tuesdays, I’d turn Myself into a bull and dally with human females.

The first time around I’d create the Marvel Universe to see how far they can go, then I’d create the DC Universe to see how far they can go. The conflicting minor and major deities alone would keep me entertained for a looooong time.

Like Czarcasm I would create various universes/realities and watch them play themselves out (with a snazzy afterlife for the good sentient beings and simple non-existence for the bad ones, I’m a benign omnipotent being).

Unless I get an imagination upgrade these would mostly be from fictional sources I’ve read, I could also temporarily limit an aspect of myself and run it as an avatar/character in those story worlds. The avatar would be unaware of its higher existence and its experiences would be integrated into ‘god me’ on death.

In fact I sometimes think thats what heaven would be like, infinite creation and all the time in the world to play around in it.

As an aside, the part of me that wants to believe in God incorporates this idea–there is a bit of God’s mind in all of us and the creation of his is designed to let Him experience countless lifetimes simultaneously.

But good stuff so far. Thanks for indulging me.

Making bad things happen to good people. Ooops… break time’s over. Back to squashing evil.

I would create a ridiculously complex universe. Fill it with all sorts of particles, that behave in equally mysterious and complex ways but really serve no function at all. Then create some sentient intelligent life. Make a tiny percentage of them really fucking smart and create the bulk of them to be dumb as posts - just to bedevil the really smart ones. Then I’d plant ideas in the minds of the smart ones. Ideas like relativity and string theory and multi-verse theories, just to fuck with them some more. Then just sit back and enjoy watching them try to make sense of the chaos while I continue moving the goal posts.

Yeah, I’d be a cold cruel bastard of a god.

If history is any indication, I’d remove all empirical evidence of my existence and then watch people argue.

I think I’d pretty much create something similar to this world, maybe dialing down the unfairness and cruelty a bit, and then just live in it. Maybe in secret, making myself seem to age and die then moving on, or maybe openly as the creator. Not exactly ambitious, but I kind of like this world. I mean, apart from that unfairness and cruelty thing.

Do I get a spaceship?

Can’t do much of anything unless I’ve got a spaceship!

[sigh]Why does G-d need a spaceship?[/sigh]

Being omnipresent probably gets exhausting, got to have somewhere to escape the pressure and recuperate!

I like this. My answer was that I’d get lost in the intricacies of Number Theory. Once I’ve invented the Counting Numbers, I’ve got an infinity of cool things to play with. After having calculated the first million Perfect Numbers, I’d start messing around with something complicated…

Because of the Wheeee! factor.

If I were a god with spare time, I’d toss a few lighting bolts down just to see them scatter.

I’d be Loki on Mondays, and trick Wotan into doing all sorts of weird stuff.

The thread just below this one at the moment is “Female Sex Tourism.” That’ll work.

I do my work, spend time with my family and friends, pursue my hobbies and dick around on an internet message board. Godhood always seems to be humanity writ large, so why should I do any different?

Smiting people who spell my name with a hyphen.

You’re going to be smiting a lot of Rabbis.
But then, they are used to it. :slight_smile: