What's Rosie's problem?

Rosie O’Donnell seems to have made it her mandate to get involved in pissing matches with various celebs. She started with the Kelly Ripa/Clay Aiken incident; then went after Donald Trump; and is now badmouthing Paula Abdul.

Is this just ratings-grabbing assholery? Well, yeah, duh, of course – but why has she staked out this particular form of celebrity-bashing performance art?

Perhaps because she really is just a bitch at heart and is making up for all those years of being Ms Nice To Everyone? That’s my theory anyway.

Back before she was the Queen of Nice on Daytime TV Rosie was a standup comic and she regularly did some celebrity bashing as part of her routines. This is just a return to a very old form.

She seems to be doing what most people do when they gab around the water cooler at work. Make fun of the goof celebrities that are in the headlines recently.
Letterman and Leno do it every night in their monolouges.

I have no idea why people are making a big deal of it with the whole “Did you hear what Rosie said today?” or why these celebrities are striking back at her when there a whole lot of other people around making the same jokes.

Leno seems to make “Paris is a slut” type jokes every night yet she still comes by to be on his show.

I predict her next target will be Isaiah Washington.

Are you talking about remarks she made on the show or what you read on gossip sites or in the news? She didn’t bring the topics up.

If you’ve ever watched the View, that’s what those women do-sit around and talk about people. Personally, I hate the show. Her remarks always have a little more edge than the others and get a little more publicity, but all 3 or 4 of them sit around and talk about people. That’s what the show is about. It’s not like she’s spouting this stuff to anyone who will listen.

Regarding Paula Abdul - anyone who doesn’t think she’s on something isn’t living on the same planet as I am. I know people with substance abuse problems and she has one. It’d be nice if someone could convince her to get some help for her own sake.

I’m not defending her, but it seems like her remarks are always the remarks that make the news. The other women make remarks as well and are usually agreeing with her.

Letterman and Leno don’t look like angry snarls with an axe to grind. They make the joke and people know it is supposed to be funny. Rosie makes a comment and you are left thinking what’s behind it.

I haven’t read what she said about Paula Abdul but Pabs definitely crazy or on SOMETHING. I watched her infamous Today show segment and was torn between trying to figure out whether she had late on-set mental retardation or was really really really stoned.

The difference is that Rosie’s comments aren’t usually phrased as “jokes” and they’re more mean-spirited than Leno and Letterman’s writers are. There’s no wit behind her comments. She sounds very immature and bitter.

Besides, you and me doing the same thing around the watercooler is different because it’s not on national television and they aren’t our peers we’re attacking.

There was once a nice Rosie. Learn something new everyday.

Do you think Rosie’s remarks sound meaner when she says them on the show than the other women?

Wrong. She attacked Donald Trump and Kelly Ripa first. She had no dog in either fight (Donald Trump’s Miss USA press conference and Kelly vs. Clay), but decided to be a complete bitch and deliberately attack them. She said Kelly was homophobic and that Trump isn’t one to talk about morals.

She may or may not have brought the topic up initially, I rarely watch the show. My point is that all three or four women on the show sit around and yack about people. That’s what they do. It’s not like she’s holding press conferences or anything. No one is trying to stop her from saying things or disagreeing with her. It’s a talk show.

You don’t have to have a dog in the fight to have an opinion about something, do you? Especially when your hired to do a job based on your personality the way she was. They hired one attention whore to replace the attention whore who left. If they sat around and talked about lip gloss I doubt if anyone would watch.

I understand that’s what they do. When I was home for a few weeks during my pregnancy, I watched the show. When Meredith Viera was there, the show had a MUCH different feel. They talked about all the topics of the day, watercooler-style, but I don’t remember anyone being as mean as Rosie. Yeah, they’d make judgements about people, but with little more than a tsk-tsk. No one attacked other celebrities like Rosie’s doing.

She can feel free to have all the opinions she wants and has the right to say what she feels. But I also feel free to call her a bitch for her comments.

She’s lazy.

Bashing people is easy material. Old insults can be renewed with slightly different wording. And she’s not even very good at it. She’s just a snarky bitch.

I’ve seen better insults invented here.

After this quote, I don’t listen to anything that comes out of her mouth.

Rosie on the topic of teaching math in schools…

“I think there’s no way they should have to teach it, now. We have computers. We no longer need to know why 3X equals 2Y over 4. Or if a bus
leaves Utah at 4 pm, how many blonde-haired people [are] on it? I mean, how
the hell do you figure that out?”

For that, and for her not being funny, ever.

Sadly, there are probably people at home nodding in agreement when she said that.

When I was working in retail and people used to write checks I actually had women who would ask me to fill out their check for them because they didn’t know how. They were buying glasses for their kids. Or I’d have them ask me if they could round off the numbers so it was easier to subtract.

Count on it, they know their demographics. And it was no accident why she was hired. I see her remarks almost like performance art. She wouldn’t make the remarks that she does it she wasn’t encouraged to do so.

Can I get a link? I can’t seem to find what it is that Rosie said about Paula. If it’s that she seems like she’s drunk/on drugs, she’s got a point. We talk about it in the American Idol threads all the time.

Personally, I can’t stand Rosie. She’s been attacking people in this way for a long time. I quit watching her show after she attacked Tom Selleck about gun control. I think she’s loud, obnoxious, and a know-it-all.

Here ya go!

Rosie’s problem is as Trump described. She’s one of fame’s also-rans and she resents anyone else who gets any attention. Of course that’s his problem as well :smiley: