2011 Oscar Nominations - Your Predicitons

****As a companion to this excellent thread, I’d love to hear your predictions for who will be nominated and for what.

I’m mostly interested to hear which ten films you believe will be nominated for Best Picture, and also who you believe will recieve nominations in all four acting categories. If you’d like to give your prediction for which film will get the most nominations, let’s hear it (along with how many nominations you expect the film to get).

I think ***Inception ***may lead the overall nomination count with nods for Director, Picture, O. Screenplay , Score, Art Direction, Cinematography, Sound Editing and Mixing, and Visual Effects. So that’s 8 nods.

***Social Network ***won’t be far behind with 7 nods, I predict… I expect it to get nominated for Picture, Director, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Screenplay (would it be adapted since its based on court transcripts, or original?), Cinematography, Editing, and Score.

*Kings Speech *should be in the top of the mix there also with Picture, Director, Writing, Actor, Supporting Actor, maybe Supporting Actress, Cinematography, Costume, and Art Direction. Honestly, now that I write it all out I could see this film ending up with the most nominations overall.

For Best Picture, I expect to see the following nominated:

Social Network
Inception
Kings Speech
True Grit
Black Swan
The Kids Are All Right
The Fighter
Winter’s Bone
Toy Story 3
and for my “wild card” slot I’d like to see either Scott Pilgrim or Kick-Ass make the cut. Or even Shutter Island or Ghost Writer.

Anyway, what do the rest of you think?

Damn, beat me to it. Over the past couple of weeks I’ve been working on a long nominations predictions post that listed all the major players in every category, even the artistic ones, so people would know what movies are in play based on all the precursors. With links to all the movies too! Just because I like you so much, and it’s my fault for dilly-dallying around, I’ll only cry a little bit. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah well, forget the nominations. The winners are already set pretty much in stone, and will (probably) be The Social Network, Natalie Portman, Colin Firth, Christian Bale, Melissa Leo, and David Fincher (2 wins, director and adapted screenplay), the guy who wrote The King’s Speech, Roger Deakins (cinematographer for True Grit), the costume and makeup people for Alice in Wonderland, Inception for Special Effects, Sound and Editing, Restrepo for documentary, something nobody expects for foreign-language and god knows what for shorts. Those are off the top of my head, I know I’m forgetting a few. Oh, Art Direction. Um, The King’s Speech.

That was easy!

[moulin rouge]Thanks for curing me of my ridiculous obsession.[/moulin rouge]

Seriously, I don’t passionately care what’s nominated for what or what or what as long as Winter’s Bone is nominated for Picture, Actress and Supporting Actor. That would make my year. It’s been an amazing year for movies so just about anything that gets nominated for anything will be highly worthy and will make me happy.

127 Hours
Black Swan
The Fighter
Inception
The Kids Are All Right
The King’s Speech
The Social Network
The Town
Toy Story 3
True Grit

I guess I’m calling a Winter’s Bone snub…wishful thinking, I guess, since I wasn’t too impressed by it.

Best Actor:
Colin Firth
Jesse Eisenberg
James Franco
Robert Duvall
Jeff Bridges

Best Actress:
Annette Bening
Natalie Portman
Nicole Kidman
Jennifer Lawrence
Leslie Manville

Best Supporting Actor:
Mark Ruffalo
Andrew Garfield
Jeremy Renner
Geoffrey Rush
Christian Bale

Best Supporting Actress:
Mila Kunis
Amy Adams
Melissa Leo
Helena Bonham-Carter
Hailee Steinfeld

Trickiest part of these- especially the actress categories- is that there’s some iffy category placement going on- Hailee Steinfeld might vote-split enough between Lead and Supporting to lose out entirely, or she could pop up in Lead, push out Leslie Manville, make room for Jacki Weaver…

Inception’s got Picture, Director, Screenplay, Cinematography, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Visual Effects, Art Direction, Editing, and Score. All of those are basically assured. Maybe Cinematography isn’t for sure? So that’s 10.

Social Network could get 9 (more likely 8). King’s Speech has 9, 10 if it gets an undeserved Editing nom. True Grit’s a bit of a question mark, it could be anywhere from 7 to 11 (if it grabs Director, Makeup, both Sounds). The Fighter could top out at 8. Black Swan could actually get 12 if it’s really lucky- but that’d need Barbara Hershey, Costume, Cinematography, Sounds…all of which are iffy.

So basically- Inception has 10 almost totally solid nominations. Anything else getting over 10 would require a minor miracle. Tough to know what the Academy will really respond to on a big scale.

Best Picture:

The Town
Winter’s Bone
The King’s Speech
The Social Network
Black Swan
The Fighter
True Grit
The Kids Are All Right
Blue Valentine
Inception

Note that these are my predictions rather than my own choices. If I were doing the nominating, Black Swan, The Kids Are All Right, and Inception would not make the cut. But I anticipate they will get nominated.

Dark horse nominee: Let Me In

Not bad. I got 8 out of 10. And I hadn’t seen Toy Story 3, so I have an excuse for missing that one. Disappointed that The Town wasn’t nominated, but can’t say I’m really that surprised.