2013 NFL Draft Order

We know what most of the draft order for this coming NFL postseason looks like. Here it is. 20 teams and 20 fan bases can start scanning pre-draft scouting reports and Kiper can dust off his hair gel. Of course a dozen or so of these teams will need to figure out who’s going to be sitting the war room first. Where do you hope your team is looking for help?

1. Kansas City Chiefs (2-14) .516 SOS
  2. Jacksonville Jaguars (2-14) .539
  3. Oakland Raiders (4-12) .469
  4. Philadelphia Eagles (4-12) .508
  5. Detroit Lions (4-12) .566
  6. Cleveland Browns (5-11) .508
  7. Arizona Cardinals (5-11) .559
  8. Buffalo Bills (6-10) .480
  9. New York Jets (6-10) .512 (4-8 conference record)
  10. Tennessee Titans (6-10) .512 (5-7 conference record)
  11. San Diego Chargers (7-9) .457
  12. Miami Dolphins (7-9) .500
  13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (7-9) .502
  14. Carolina Panthers (7-9) .516
  15. New Orleans Saints (7-9) .522
  16. St. Louis Rams (7-8-1) .537
  17. Pittsburgh Steelers (8-8) .465
  18. Dallas Cowboys (8-7) .515
  19. New York Giants (9-7) .522
  20. Chicago Bears (10-6) .514

Here’s the playoff team sorted by record. This will naturally change based on playoff results. How’s that RG3 trade looking now St. Louis?

1. St. Louis Rams (via Washington Redskins) (9-6) .496
  2. Minnesota Vikings (10-6) .518
  3. Cincinnati Bengals (10-6) .437
  4. Indianapolis Colts (11-5) .441
  5. Seattle Seahawks (11-5) .506
  6. Baltimore Ravens (10-6) .496
  7. Green Bay Packers (11-5) .508
  8. San Francisco 49ers (11-4-1) .504
  9. Houston Texans (12-4) .496
  10. New England Patriots (12-4) .496
  11. Denver Broncos (13-3) .457
  12. Atlanta Falcons (13-3) .421

For my Bears the shopping list is pretty clear. We don’t know who the head coach or any of the coordinators or position coaches are yet, but we know where the big holes are. The focus will almost certainly be on offense and it will almost certainly be on the offensive line. I’d be pretty happy with a OT and OG/C with the first 2 picks. A couple of blogs have the Bears getting OG/C Barrett Jones at #20 in early Mocks. I can’t really complain too much about that so long as a stud OT doesn’t magically slip to us.

A handful of veterans could be gone, notably Urlacher, Hester and Davis, which will leave big holes at other key positions that need to be addressed. Each of these positions can be filled in the middle rounds. Long story short the Bears need to get younger in a lot of spots, I wouldn’t be shocked to see the Bears trade back a few times in this draft.

I still pissed off that they took McClellin instead of DeCastro. What a stupid, stupid move.

We (probably) need to replace Welker, and upgrade our atrocious secondary.

Well, at least the Cowboys have a winning record in this thread…

I’m not sure that there will be any good owners for the Jets to draft at #9.

If they are lucky, a decent LT might fall to the Cardinals at #7. Otherwise though, they are screwed, as I don’t think there is a QB worth a #7 pick. I can see them reaching for Matt Barkley and going through the same Matt Leinart issues from a few years back.

OL and QB are the obvious needs. Would be great if they could get a rush OLB too.

Saints need a right tackle, but probably not in the first round. Zack Strief isn’t cutting it. Could also use defense, as usual. I’d love to get Banks from Mississippi State, but I don’t know if he’ll be available at 15…

When do the Redskins draft next? Like the year 2017? We need pretty much an entire secondary.

The Panthers at #14 always seem to need a WR to pair with Steve Smith, but I’d also be happy to see a top-flight OG like Jonathon Cooper or Barrett Jones be the pick there as well, with a WR in Rd. 2.

It’s disappointing that this season’s pick from Washington will be in the 20s or 30s, but St. Louis fans are generally a-okay with the trade. In last year’s draft Washington provided the Rams with two players that ended up on Kiper’s All-Rookie team (CB- Janoris Jenkins and DT Michael Brockers), and there are two more #1 picks to come.

Obviously Washington is happy with the results, and if Griffin3 turns out to be a better John Elway, then St Louis might feel regret. But for now, I think most Rams would still pull the trigger on the trade.

I think you’re wrong about that. That said, you’re correct that the Rams are getting value from it. The 1st rounders in the next 2 years will probably also be in the 20s too. So figure they get Jenkins, Brockers the 21st pick next year and say the 23rd the year after in exchange for RG3.

I think they could have gotten 2 first rounders of at least equivalent value by trading Bradford to say the Eagles, Cardinals, Jaguars, Jets or Chiefs and still gotten RG3.

I’d rather have RG3 and 2 1st rounders than Bradford, Brockers and Jenkins and 2 1st rounders. Still it’s not a bad trade.

Random comment, I think Te’o just dropped about 20 spots in the draft tonight. If his combine is anything short of stellar he might not even be in the first round.

They also got Isiah Pead and Rekovious Watkins thanks to trading down with the Cowboys and Bears with the pick they got from the Redskins.

This question has been bugging me for awhile, so I figure I’d share it and see what say the SDMB draftniks:

When should a team draft a good quarterback?

The way I see it, there are only a handful of franchise quarterbacks, QB’s who can put the team on their back and carry them to a Super Bowl. Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and Manning (Peyton). Then there are really bad quarterbacks, ones who should never be starting in the NFL. J’Marcus, Sanchez, Tebow, Quinn. But the vast majority of QB’s starting in the NFL are somewhere in that vast middle. Guys like Flacco, Freeman, Fitzpatrick, Cutler, Alex Smith. They’re fine, you can start them, you may be able to win with them, but they’ll never be able to carry a team. They’re fine and all, and some are better than others, but unless they’re given a great defense, a good running game, and a lot of time to throw, they’ll top out at being very good for a few games a year.

When should teams draft guys like that?

I think guys like that are relatively easy to find, even beyond the first round of the draft. Backups looking to become starters (Schaub, Romo), second round or later draft picks (Russell Wilson, Kaepernick), and guys you can pick up off the scrap heap (Henne, Fitzpatrick).

It seems like a majority of those guys end up being first round draft picks who never take the next step (Flacco, Cutler, Bradford, Vick) and are fine, but not special.

I understand that so much of it is a view to potential rather than “well, he’ll be just good, let’s draft him” (Cutler and Flacco’s strong arms, Bradford’s pedigree, Vicks athleticism), but to me it seems that grabbing guys like that in the first round simply because QB is such an important position is a waste.

Guys like Christian Ponder (who I really like to be a very good to good QB), Ryan Tannehill, Blaine Gabbert, are being way overdrafted. Flacco, Freeman, and Cutler are three guys I always thought would be what they are, good, but not great QB’s. Yet they were all first round draft picks.

Is being a good but not great QB worth a first round pick?

If you need one, you go and get one; it’s pretty much as simple as that.

QB’s are one of the most volatile of any position in sports to draft; no matter what they did before the draft, you never know what you’re going to get until you slap a jersey on him and put him on the field against NFL competition. No matter how much you like a guy’s college stats or combine numbers, most of the time you’re still going to be wrong, but that’s a risk you have to take, because some other team is going to take that risk if you don’t.

The Steelers rarely deviate from the “best player available” formula. There aren’t too many positions on the team that don’t need some fresh blood.
At 17 of course they aren’t taking a QB but they need a back up badly.

See to me, those two statements are in conflict.

If QB’s are volatile, and you never know, and you’re likely going to be wrong, then maybe you shouldn’t be using a first round pick on one. Just because every other team is reaching for good QB’s doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. To me, why reach for an average QB when you could grab 3 options and play the best one (ala the Seahawks this year).

Wilson could pan out to be a great QB but for every Russell Wilson, there is a Pat White and a million others (great college QBs who are too short, inaccurate or fragile for the pros.) Thats the risk.
If the backup QB market chills from recent busts (Flynn, Kolb, etc) that might be a decent way to get a QB if theren’t any worthy of drafting high. Only desparate, inept teams draft players like Branden Weeden in the first round.

Because you don’t know who’s going to be just an “average QB” and who’s going to be great.

It would be wonderful if everyone could grab 3 QBs and play the best one, but that doesn’t work because: A) while having a QB is important, you also have 2 dozen other positions to fill with a limited number of draft picks, B) legit, free agent starting-caliber QBs are exorbitantly expensive (and, a la the Seahawks this year, the guy you pick up may not even be good enough to win the starting job), and C) there just aren’t that many legit, starting-caliber QBs to be had.

The only positions I can see the Steelers not taking in the first round are: QB, CB, Center and DE (unless they convert the CB to Safety or DE to OLB.)

The order I think of needs: RB (if Mendenhall goes), LB ( a top LB could easily fall to 17), WR (if Wallace goes), Safety and OT (lastly.) They are pretty good at OT but need back ups on the Oline.

Let’s see. RG3 is broken and we got Michael Brockers, who will anchor the center of our D-line for a while and Janoris Jenkins, who will be a big part of the Secondary for a while, plus we get a second 1st round pick this year and a second 1st round pick next year and we only went 1 less game into the playoffs then the 'Skins did. sooooo. I like it. :wink:

For the Rams first round picks, barring trades, I want Kennan Allen to be pick#1 but i don’t think he will fall that far. I am guessing we go OT or OLB for the first pick and OT or OG for the second pick.