2016 State of the Union address tonight 01/12/16

It was until NPR uncovered it.

Reporters dug and found it was Jordan. Only after being confronted did Jordan’s office confirm it was them.

I would like to see a series of color photographs of the SOTU over the years.

Good job, Barry. Snarky when necessary, inspiring when needed.

I’m sure she had to be vetted by somebody, like the Capitol Police, or the Secret Service.

Yeah I notice Paul Ryan too , his body language speech volume to me !

Aren’t all State of the Union addresses boring? They all say the same sort of thing, they’re full of the President talking about how great his policies are, and inevitably include statements that he’s concerned about bad things and proposals that will probably die in Congress.

He should just send a note over to Congress each year instead of wasting everybody’s time with the crap that’s the modern State of the Union address.

He got that ‘cure cancer’ line from The West Wing’ - a credible enough source given the current state of politics.

No, they’re not all boring. And this one interested me more toward the end.

I’m surprised you watched it if you feel that way about them.

I didn’t. I’ll read it tomorrow.

No, really?
Well, thank you for your insightful analysis.

His delivery was eloquent.

And it had a positive tone to it.

I enjoyed it.

Which is why reading it is purposely missing most of the experience.

I’m picturing Cap’n Amazing telling his friends “No thanks, I’m going to skip Star Wars and just read a transcript tomorrow.”

It felt like he was campaigning. I really enjoyed it. He was loose, funny, snarky at times, inspirational, and I also loved seeing Ryan stay rigid most of the night. (“Don’t clap for vets. Don’t clap for curing cancer. Don’t clap for America. Don’t clap for kittens in a shoebox. Nailed it!”)

Congressman Tim Murphy sent out his criticism of the State of the Union speech two hours before Obama actually, you know, made the speech.

The Republicans were idiots not to have Donald TRUMP give the response to the State of the Union-ratings would have zoomed through the roof and certainly beat the President’s speech itself had they done so. Instead they pick some low-energy genderbent Bobby Jindal.

The Iranians provided a nice riposte!:eek:

I think it was one of the better speeches he’s ever given. Love it when he told them that the only people in the country with secure jobs and retirement and health benefits were in the chamber. I think he struck a nerve by telling the Congress how they’re trapped in the partisan divide thanks to gerrymandering.

A bouquet of skunk cabbage to Nikki Haley for her vapid response. I’m amazed she didn’t open by saying “It’s a beautiful day in South Carolina”.

I swore off SOTUs some time ago - I think in Slick Willie’s time. I just hated the repeated SOs from the supporting party, and the sour looks from the opponents. Really made me think the less of all of them. And after hearing enough of them, the nutshell version coulda been read in 5 minutes. The rest, mostly empty platitudes, with little chance of being implemented.

And this from the former PolSci grad student, whose group of geeks used to have SOTU/election night parties.

What an unpleasant, reductionist comment.

Seems about right coming from a poster who always writes the name as TRUMP.