2016 State of the Union address tonight 01/12/16

Don’t dig yourself deeper into a hole. Of all the Republican politicians out there, I’m sure it was totally random that you pick another Indian. Totally random, especially considering how many Indian Republicans there are. :rolleyes:

A “low-energy-loser?” :smiley: Trumpisms are so predictably adolescent.

I didn’t mind anything at all about her (except about 30% of what she was saying) but I was a bit bothered by the way she talked without ever separating her teeth. And Damn were those teeth white. They made the journalists’ teeth look coffee stain brown.

American Islamic Forum for Democracy: RECLAIMING THE AMERICAN SPIRIT: WHAT OBAMA SHOULD HAVE SAID – DR. JASSER REWRITES #SOTU

Well, in his defense, I believe **Qin **is still an actual adolescent. (or I’ve been hanging out here way too long)

He’s in his second year of college. That may or may not be worse than being an adolescent.

:slight_smile:

By most definitions, I think, he can be both.

So supposedly the designer of Michelle’s dress sold out before the SOTU was over.

Everyone thinks she is a lottery winner! :slight_smile:

Note that I didn’t deny that their shared ethnicities was a factor in my comparison-my point is that such a shared linkage alone would have made my comparison fall flat. It was literally meant to be a not at all serious mild ribbing comparable to saying “Ben Carson is this year’s Herman Cain” or “Chris Christie is a fatter Rudy Giuliani”.

I’m glad someone’s keeping tabs.

My tv was still turned to FOX from the playoffs, so I watched it there. I was really struck by the glaring vapidity of the commentators after the speech. First they reduced the whole thing to an exercise in belle lettres- he knows how to speak well, he is smooth, that kind of thing. From there, they couldn’t bring themselves to even mention any content of the speech. They said over and over again that there were two sides and that people did not agree with Obama, but no mention of what they disagreed with, let alone why.

I know it is FOX, but geez, people actually watch this channel for news analysis? Oy vey!

Sounds like they wrote their analysis before the speech.

Is that not one of the Donald’s phrases? Qin, we had such high hopes for you. :frowning:

Since when did it become protocol for the opposite-Party Speaker to sit on his hands throughout the SotU speech, clapping a little only at the very end, and even then only after a deliberate hesitation?

Just to check my sanity I typed “state of the union 2007” into Youtube, fast-forwarded randomly and observed the next applause. There was Nancy Pelosi clapping along with Dick Cheney.

Were the other Republicans also acting like assholes? Was Ryan an asshole at earlier Obama SotUs or was his asshole performance here just a requirement for his new job?

Haven’t you been saying the same things about me as TRUMP?

Either way, considering you non irono-strategically support the Thai monarchy and the military junta…

Too bad everyone doesn’t follow his example. The SotU has become more political theater than anything else, and clapping is a big part of that-- it’s usually just a way of sticking it to the other side.

Let’s keep the comments impersonal, please. Debate the debate, not the opponent.

That has to be it. The blond guy announcer even said at one point, “all this is scripted and timed”. I was genuinely curious what they’d say about (how they’d attack) Obama’s take on his record. Unemployment slashed, deficit cut, Bin Laden dead, Guantanamo shrunk, Iran heeled… and news announcers have nothing?

Lame.

Ha ha. I nominate you to moderate the GOP.