6 January 2021; A Day worth a Thread

I’m starting this now so it is in place (it is 10:30pm Central, 11:30pm Eastern as I type this) when the day dawns.

I know we have more than a few threads, but IMHO January 6th is going to be a day of such consequence that it deserves to be remembered by it’s own stand-alone thread.

I mean, tomorrow:

a. Should bring about a final result in the Georgia Senate Races, and if…if…they go Democratic, there will be loud and vociferous reaction.

b. An unknown number of Proud Boys and other reactionaries will be in Washington D.C., along with an unknown number of counter-protesters and Police/National Guardsmen.

c. The Congress will face an unprecedented opening of the votes, with the actions of VP Pence will take still not quite known and protests by a significant number of Republican Senators and Representatives. At minimum, there will be at least 2 hours (and probably more) debate, all on TV (I presume).

And I think, like another 6th of a month, this could be our nation’s “Longest Day”.

And IMHO that deserves a thread of it’s own.

If the mods feel differently, they may close this thread and let us continue on the current open ones.

I’d respectfully ask no one post until the 6th is underway (call it 0600 EST) and only comment on things happening that day.

I’ll see you then.

It’s 15:35 AEST on Jan 6th 2021 here and from this perspective I believe all the interesting stuff will happen tomorrow.

Georgia results (with 54% reporting) show Ossoff (D) leading Perdue ( R) 52:48 and Warnock (D) leading Loeffler ( R) 52.4:47.6

If they end up calling the race for Ossoff either late tonight or early tomorrow, the right is going to lose their shit tomorrow today in DC. Bring popcorn.

Pence is scheduled to open the first envelope for Alabama at noon CST. Arizona will be third up, so we probably won’t get to Arkansas until some time around 2:30 CST. If they challenge Georgia, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin as well, that puts as at just around midnight CST.

Tweeted by Trump just now (1amEST): “If Vice President @Mike_Pence comes through for us, we will win the Presidency. Many States want to decertify the mistake they made in certifying incorrect & even fraudulent numbers in a process NOT approved by their State Legislatures (which it must be). Mike can send it back!”

This shit’s gonna be bananas.

Definitely.

Slight hijack. I’m curious which day this refers to? The big ones since 1900 that I can think of off the top of my head are on the 7th (Pearl Harbor) 11th (9/11 and the official as well as de facto declaration of the COVID-19 pandemic on 3/11) and 22nd (Kennedy assassination).

D-Day. There’s a film about the invasion called The Longest Day. June 6 is also close to the literally longest day of the year (in terms of daylight).

I was sure that the House would certify the results of the electoral college but I was worried that the Senate would not. Given that there are now 25 Republican Senators who say that they will certify the results, it is possible that the vote in the Senate will be a higher percentage than the vote in the House. I can’t wait for this day to be over and to have all of the elections basically decided. Also hoping to end the day without any violence or other problems.

Today is the day that Trump gets his ass handed to him, again. I don’t know how many times he wants that to happen, but I love it every time it happens. Today should be the last time, but you know Trump, losing the same election over and over is his new thing.

Question:
If Pence was to try that bullshit, is there any sanction/penalty that would apply or is it a case of no charge of arson for attempting to burn down the house?

Trump disputes this, so it’s cearly true:

“The New York Times report regarding comments Vice President Pence supposedly made to me today is fake news. He never said that. The Vice President and I are in total agreement that the Vice President has the power to act,” Trump said.
The President is now angry with Pence following their meeting, a source close to the White House said. Trump may “lash out” at his vice president on Wednesday morning during a speech at a rally staged to support the President’s attempts to overturn the election, which is taking place near the White House grounds. "

Good morning. As Elmer Fudd noted above, I was referring to the movie “The Longest Day”, which I should have made clearer, considering the movie is almost 60 years old.

Watching a local D.C. Station as people stream in to listen to Trump at 11am EST, or about 2 hours from now. There are numbers but not a tidal wave…yet…and all seem to be moving slowly and no flags or banners to be seen…yet.

Can see the camera here: Watch | WUSA9 Live and On-Demand Videos | Washington DC | wusa9.com or, I imagine, at a lot of places.

I’m watching CNN and seeing pro-Trump crowds starting to assemble.

Look at all those maskholes. Cripes.

Speeches are beginning to what looks like a crowd in the hundred’s on the Ellipse; can’t understand it on my feed, but sounds like red meat is being fed to the attendees prior to Trump appearing.

Just a thought. If protestors storm the Capitol, does Pence, as presiding officer, have the authority to end the session before the counting “for security reasons”?

How about Federal officers with tear gas and rubber bullets? It’s been done before.

I’m guessing Elmer’s point was that Pence would use security concerns as an excuse to do what he wanted to do; stop the process of making Biden’s victory official.

No suspense here. Democrats are guaranteed to prevail in both Georgia races with ease and Pence is guaranteed to certify Biden.