8th Annual SDMB Early Super Bowl Pick Contest

The playoff teams are set, so it’s time for our annual contest – can you predict the Super Bowl a month before the game and join our list of champions?:

Year 1: Trillionaire
Year 2: Uncommon Sense
Year 3: Airman Doors, USAF
Year 4: Grits and Hard Toast
Year 5: Hal Briston (woohoo!)
Year 6: dalej42
Year 7: Justin_Bailey

So let’s see if it’s time for me (or someone else, I suppose) to repeat or if we get another new name on the list.

It’s simple to play – just post your pick for the two Super Bowl teams, and the final score. Deadline for submissions will be 4:00pm Eastern on Saturday, January 8th (just before kickoff of the first playoff game).

For my pick this year, I’m going to say that for the second time in four years the Patriots will face off against the NFC’s #6 seed, but this time with a much different result: Patriots over the Packers, 37-13.

As always, just in case you don’t follow football but still wanna play along, just pick an AFC team, an NFC team, and a couple of numbers that sound vaguely football-scorish.

AFC Teams:
New England Patriots, New York Jets, Pittsburgh Steelers, Baltimore Ravens, Indianapolis Colts, Kansas City Chiefs

NFC Teams:
Philadelphia Eagles, Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers, Atlanta Falcons, New Orleans Saints, Seattle Seahawks

punted (or should that be “bunted”) from MPSIMS to the Game Room

Eagles over Ravens, 23-20.

Steelers over the Saints. 30-14

I think a Keystone Bowl in Dallas would be awesome because Jerry Jones would be positively apoplectic, but unfortunately the Eagles suck so that’s right out. I’d also like to see Pittsburgh lay a fortyburger on Seattle to give the Seahawk fans a case of compound butthurt, but the Seahawks suck so that’s out too.

OK, I’ll get to the score already.

Pittsburgh 23, Atlanta 13.

Patriots over Eagles. 41-27

Hal, you took my teams. I’ve been saying Pats over Pack all year.

Patriots 28 Packers 21

Patriots over Saints, 31-28

Bears over Ravens, 20-17 in the first ever Superbowl OT.

Hey, a guy can dream…

Patriots over Eagles, 37-31

Were it not for Green Bay’s hideous amount of injuries, I’d like New England and Green Bay in the Super Bowl. However, you play with the team you have left at the end of the season, and so I think it’ll be:

New England curb-stomping Atlanta, by something like 41-13.

New England over Pittsburgh in the AFC championship game, around 31-20.
Atlanta over Chicago in the NFC championship game, by around 24-21. I could easily see a Green Bay-Chicago rematch however.

The Texans, as usual, will be watching it all on television.

Saints over Patriots, 28-24

I was very sure about last year’s pick and I rode that conviction to victory. I’m less sure this year, but let’s see if I can go back-to-back.

Falcons over Patriots, 35-24

Ravens 21 Falcons 17. This time they call Roddy Whites blatant Offensive Pass Interference and the Ravens prevail.

Patriots 35 Saints 17

Packers 37 Patriots 17. Go big or go home.

Steelers 17
Falcons 13

Patriots over Packers 31-27

Seahawks 10, Chiefs 7. :smiley:

Wouldn’t it be something to see the Vince Lombardi trophy handed out to a 7-9 regular-season team?

An exact reversal of Super Bowl XX:

Patriots 46
Bears 10