A big Thank you to the SDMB Dev Team

Since I come for an IT background, I know how difficult something like this move can be. I just wanted to say thank you to the TubaDiva and the rest of the Dev team for the long hours and also for dealing with the revolts that have shown up. You’all have done a good job of porting everything over and a wonderful job of smoothing out most of the bumps

So THANKS ALL

It’s gone a whole lot smoother than I expected. Great job, all!

Yes, thank you! I’m in WebDev and I know how hard it must have been to make the decision to go with Discourse, make the necessary tweaks to get it started, and get the data over. The data seems safe and complete and that’s what’s big to me. The board is up and running, you stuck to your guns and you’re moving forward, and I applaud you all!!

Yes indeed! Smoother, faster, and better than expected. Thank you very much!
https://images.app.goo.gl/tX1wxK6TyQ7zP9Tr5

Thanks from me as well. I’m reminded of my very first iPad. I removed it from its box and was disappointed to see there was no owner’s manual for me to study. At first I thought it was an error, then I accidentally turned it on. A few hours later I knew what I was doing.

Similarly here, at first I was totally confused and disoriented, ready to pack it in. Then I played around with it for a bit and read some suggestions. Really liking the experience so far. Not sure how/why but @discobot PM’d me about some advanced user features and guided me along there.

1 Like

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

Excellent! The board has actually moved into the 21st century.
It was almost certainly a grueling job.
I’ll wait at least several months before I start complaining about the new software.
THANKS!

I’d also like to thank everybody for what must have been a great deal of hard work; and for the continuing work that must still be ongoing. I have the distinct impression that TubaDiva and possibly others haven’t slept for days, except perhaps in catnaps.

I like this board a good bit better than I thought I was going to at first; and have hopes that at least some of what I still don’t like will get fixed or improved eventually. But note that “eventually” – and it’ll probably get done better if you get some sleep first!

Probably nothing to do with our team specifically, so offtopic here: but discobot is annoying. My sitting here and saying @discobot display help would accomplish nothing whatsoever. What you have to do is send a PM to discobot with that in the PM; why on earth doesn’t discobot state that instead?

You can find my thoughts on Discobot in the Kill it! Kill it with fire! section.

Also wanted to add my thanks.

This move was inevitably going to upset a lot of people but moving to a new board was absolutely necessary. I don’t know if Discourse was the best choice or not, but having made the decision the dev team and the mods (and especially @TubaDiva ) have put an incredible amount of effort in, as well as engaging with the community throughout with a near infinite amount of patience. Good job!

So you’d like to send him to the Outer Darkness along with Paper Clip Man? :wink:

Adding my thanks, too–well done! For all the hard work, but especially for putting up with all the whining, complaining, bitching, and moaning that they KNEW would follow the migration. Probably the same shit Major Seth Adams and the other wagonmasters had to put up with when they rolled into California.

“This isn’t how I thought it would be! I want to go back! It doesn’t look the same! Where can I get a Philly cheesesteak around here?”

Thanks, Dev Team! So far it’s looking pretty good!

Yaaay Dev Team! Great Job! Special thanks to TubaDiva for helping me across the divide.

Another vote of thanks.

While I’m still getting used to the new appearance, the improvement in performance is clear. So from the perspective of somebody like myself who did none of the work, the change was definitely worth it.

I appreciate it as well. I’m already getting used to it a few days in.

Me, too. Kudos to Tuba and all her minions. Not a single error message yet!

Just adding my thanks to everyone involved. I didn’t expect to be offering such thanks when I first visited after the changeover, primarily because I wasn’t confident I would be able to figure out how to read, navigate, or post to the site anymore. But anyway, thanks again for what has surely been and continues to be an enormous amount of work.

Yeah. As much as I was tired of the old site’s inability to operate as a website, this new stuff works, and I’ll figure out how to use it. Thanks, Tuba and the unnamed other people involved!

You formed a Deviant Team and I wasn’t invited? :crazy_face:
Seriously, the extra day or two of waiting was well worth it-good job.

Thankyewveddymuch!