A friend of mine is dating a Cylon [spoiler in OP]

Nothing much more to add than that.

My friend has been spending a lot of time with Chief Tyrol.

I heard he has a Torrieble temper…

Toaster frakker!

Aaron Douglas, or just someone who reminds you of him?

Poor thing. everyone knows the toaster you want to be dating is Sam.

My roommate the Cylon

Oh for frak’s sake…

I’d really have appreciated a spoiler warning before I moused over the thread. I’m starting on Season 3, so I had no reason to believe the Chief was a toaster.

Grrrrr.

There are a lot of other twists and turns ahead for you. I’d work under the assumption that any and every Battlestar Galactica thread is going to contain spoilers, many of them in them the very first post. Tagging threads with {SPOILERS} or hiding things in threads about a series that’s been broadcast across the world is pandering to an extremely narrow interested party, don’t you think?

I’m afraid it gets worse.
Quit watching now, lest you waste more of your life.
:frowning:

No. Around here it’s considered polite to use a spoiler whenever a plot point is necessary to the work. It’s easy enough to do, and it errs on the site of good manners. As you can see if you look back just a few days, one of the threads that inevitably pops up once a year or so is “So I finally watched Citizen Kane.” As you may or may not know, the plot of Citizen Kane revolves around an enigma that is not revealed until the final scene. The fact that it was initially released in 1941 doesn’t mean that everyone who’s ever going to see it has seen it, so around here it’s considered minimally polite to include references to the enigma in spoiler tags.

As someone who doesn’t have cable and therefore watches things like BSG on DVD. Until recently I worked in a video rental store where every week was starting that series–or another older one–at the beginning for the first time.

So when in doubt, it’s best to simply be polite and allow for people who have not yet seen every TV show or movie there is to see.

Exactly. The question isn’t “Is it old enough not to be considered a spoiler?” but “Would somebody who hasn’t watched it be likely to know this?”

Also, this is the Dope, where people often haven’t seen certain shows, but go rent them on DVD on the recommendation of others. The “small audience” mentioned above is pretty much the entire population of the Dope.

I haven’t quite finished the series myself, yet. The only reason I dared enter this thread is that I’ve gotten far enough into the series to know who all the Cylons are. Even with trying to avoid spoilers as much as possible, I’ve still had some things inadvertently spoiled for me.

That said, I will say that Tyrol seemed to have pretty good taste in women-- Callie and Sharon are the two cutest ladies on the show. Is your friend hot?

Not too late to quit, until that last episode my friend.
:slight_smile:

It isn’t exactly obviously revealed either, since after sitting through the entire thing I still had to post a thread asking who Rosebud was.

No. Around here, it’s polite to not treat people like children. If you’re watching the shows on DVD, why in the world would you walk into a thread on the subject of something you’re likely to have spoiled? “Who’s a cylon?” is a question in BSG since the mini-series. It is absurd to suggest that someone watching season three not be exposed to the idea that surprising things are going to occur, and that people will talk about them in BSG threads - so maybe they should read the other 8 million threads in Cafe Society, so that we can manage to have a discussion that isn’t contained in a giant thread-shaped black box.

There are reasonable times and places for the use of spoilers. A thread specifically about a television series referencing one of the earliest examples of that show’s long-running mysteries is not one of them.

No, the question to be asked is “does someone who hasn’t seen the show have a reasonable expectation to enter this thread and not be spoiled?”. In this case, no. They don’t. If the were “Famous people you’ve met” and mswas said “my roommate’s dating that dirty cylon bastard Chief Tyrol” he’d be in the wrong. If it was “television surprises you didn’t see coming” and mswas said “I totally didn’t see Tyrol being a cylon”, he’d be in the wrong. Because you can’t reasonably enter that thread with any expectation of being spoiled for a show not mentioned in the title.

If a thread is about a work you don’t want spoiled - stay the fuck out of it. It’s very simple.

Except that she was spoiled by the mouseover which renders your whole point moot.

Ditto. I hovered over the thread before it was fixed. I am also on Season 3. I am so sad to hear this news!

Yes, but my complaint wasn’t about the spoiler being in the OP.

My complaint was that the OP was so short that I tripped over the spoiler in a mouseover when I happened to leave my cursor in the wrong place for one second too long… something I would probably have been more careful about if there had been a spoiler warning in the title.

Munch, the spoilering rules are no different than all the other things we do around here out of politeness. Saying that spoilers aren’t required because people should know better than to look is like saying that labelling a link as NSFW isn’t required because people ought to know that looking up Goatse will cause permanent brain damage or that picking up dog poop isn’t necessary because people ought to know better than to step in it. It’s a ridiculous argument, and one that can easily be avoided by using seven keystrokes whenever key plot points are being openly revealed.

(Disclaimer: comparison between OP and dog poop is not intended to be a commentary on the quality of the OP, but merely a colourful illustration of why the “you ought to know better” argument is pure and unadulterated crap)

Or, Munchkin . . . you could just be a grownup and show some consideration for others, and put spoilers in spoiler boxes. You should pick something else to take a stand on, like abortion or the second amendment. Spoilers? Kinda makes you look like a baby having a tantrum about pretty much nothin. I’m just sayin.