A SDMB Summer Lament - With apologies to Dan Povenmire and Jeff "Swampy" Marsh

There’s a hundred and four days of summer vacation
Then school comes along just to end it
So the annual problem for our generation
Is finding a good way to spend it

Like maybe…
Joining the Straight Dope
Or posting in txtspk
Or debating 'bout the World Trade Tower.

Discovering something that doesn’t exist
(Hey!)
Or listening to songs on White Power!
Surfing message boards,
Creating spambots,
Or locating a young hotblond’s brain!
(It’s over here!)

Debating avatars,
Dissing periods,
Or driving moderators insane!
(Idiots!)

As you can see,
There’s a whole lot of stuff to do before school starts this fall
So stick with us
'Cause gezmo and gvozd are gonna do it all!
So stick with us
'Cause gezmo and gvozd are gonna do it all!

(Mom! Lacunae Matata is making a title sequence!)

Hey, where’s Cecil?

What cha doin?

It’s Geoff.

Aren’t you a little young to be doing parody songs?

Bravo. What am I missing with the “songs on white power” reference, though?

gvozd posted in IMHO about how his dad’s all pissed at him just because he likes listening to a song that praises Hitler - but it’s totally about the awesome melody, man, he doesn’t even pay attention to the lyrics!

Er, wow. Thanks!

You know, I never would have thought of you as a P&F fan. This made me smile.

Oh, and big respect to the OP.

EVERYbody’s a P&F fan, what are you talking about?

Great work, Lacunae Matata!

Are you kidding? I can sing every song in Rollercoaster: the Musical!

I’m going to use my Avatarizilator™ to create avatars of every member here in the TRI-STATE AREA!

As a P&F fan with a legal background, you can answer a question that has bugged me for a long time.

Do US students really get a 3+ month summer holiday? I mean, that’s a long bloody break.

I have no legal training, but it’s not too rare for student holidays to last all of June, July, and August, plus a day or two of September. Most states mandate 180 days of instruction, and school districts are free to design their calendars however they wish.

And thanks for the compliments, folks. Not a great parody, but portions kept running through my head while reading this summer’s crop of new posters.

Depends on the school district, but that’s more or less right. Traditionally, most were out by early June and went back to school after Labor Day (first Monday in September), but more schools are letting out later and/or starting earlier.

Yes, pretty much.

Here’s the one that’s bothered me since yesterday:

I was talking on the phone with The Littlest Briston while I was at work, and she said she was watching the P&F Halloween special. Now how can they have a Halloween special when Halloween is in autumn?!

I don’t remember if they did this for Halloween, but the Christmas show one year has a custom opening song:

There are two wondrous weeks for our winter vacation,
Before New Years and school comes to end it.
So the holiday challenge for kids of all nations,
Is finding a good way to spend it…

You’re good.

Unfortunately, it appears they didn’t adapt the theme tune as per Bricker’s christmas lyrics:

They also had a “A Phineas and Ferb Family Christmas” where they decided they liked Christmas, and it would be cool to do a Christmas special in the summer.

My three-year-old in on a P&F kick right now, it’s one of the few cartoons these days that my wife and I also enjoy. Great songs, clever writing, and a secret agent platypus. Plus we all learned what an aglet is.