Aeschines lived in Japan for eight years!

I guess he’s just big in Japan. Me, I’ve never been anywhere near so I recon I completely missed the point.

“We don’t have that confidence today. We are become, to put it frankly, a sad and wimpy society.”

I think this is correct to some extend. Western society is less convinced of its own superiority, overprotective parents are a real problem.

“The afterlife is not a world “set up” by God. Rather, it is an organic and real world just like our own.”

What’s the matter with this? Without knowing where he has his inside knowledge from, “set-up” could easily be seen as a rather condescending expression.

”I feel a lot sorrier for the soldier just doing his duty and probably living in abject fear and misery every day who has to top it all off with this media circus, than for the Islamofascist insurgents, wounded or otherwise.”

Me too. Good riddance to that terrorist idiot.

“Arafat was a terrorist scumbag.”

yup

“And this is intertwined in another reality: the fact that this debate ends up being not about sexuality at all. For the right of two gay men to marry implies that two straight men could also marry–for whatever reason.”

Haven’t thought of that, but I suppose it is true. Two straight men could choose to marry – for instance for tax purposes, friends seeking to make inheritance easier, someone seeking to getting into the country, or just for kicks. So what.

“No sir, a simple twat suits me just fine.”

His personal preference. Don’t know why he felt a great need to share it with the world, but I guess he’s allowed that, even if he has been to Japan.

“As for Islam itself, the less said the better. Wait a few thousand more years, and this virus too will be purged from the mind of man…”

That’s what I see all the time on these boards when the talk is about Christianity, so that can’t be so bad.

“truly obese women (and men) are gross-looking”

Oh yeah.

“Good looks and a personality that matches their own. What they don’t want, generally, is a woman taller than they, much higher in caste, much higher in age and experience. In short, they don’t want a woman who is above them, or more dominant. They also don’t look to women to be providers, though economic reality means that most women have to work outside the home these days. (But it’s an issue when the woman makes more than the man, for dominance reasons.)”

Tall is sexy, I’d love a woman who was taller than me. Also one who earned more than me, we don’t have castes around here but if we had I’d like her to be up there on the top.

I lived in Japan once. In 1960. For twenty minutes.

And you know what’s funny? They still call me by YOUR name.

Thanks for the laugh!

The OP stated:

Oddly enough, gobear and I went around the propriety of stereotyping in a different thread when gobear said:

The trainwreck of a thread is gobear actually says “Hey, pal, I lived there for nearly a decade, I speak the language, and I know what the place is like.”

When I read the OP, the very first thing that sprung to mind was “Hey, that’s just like gobear!” And then to see gobear posting, I got a nice belly laugh.

I am really wary of other foreigners in Japan… there are a lot of interesting globetrotting people, but there are also many who seem to think they’ve entered the Nerd Elysian Fields which in itself validates anything they might say, do, or think.

“I’ve lived here 12 years, I say we piss in the street.”
“Hell, I’ve lived here 12 hours, I say we piss in the street.”
(pissing in street ensues)

Good times.

Sorry to hi-jack the funnies, but I think I have realized something important about Aeschines.

[ol]
[li]He claims to be liberal[/li][li]He wears a bow tie[/li][li]He hold opinions exclusively, to the exclusion of new information[/li][li]Only he can criticize his favorite culture.[/li][/ol]I think he’s Tucker Carlson! :smiley:

Only one way to be sure. Hold up a picture of Jon Stewart. If he hisses and recoils in horror, then it’s true.

Well, you’re totally right, Hamlet, I was being foolish in that thread.

It’s amazing.

Just when you think the second dumbest cunt in the world (Ann Coulter still reigns supreme, of course, and susanann seems to have vanished) can’t possibly get any more stupid or any more cunt…

-Joe, impressed

Though I don’t think all your examples of quotes are equally good (the one about two straight men marrying is a point I made myself, which he may even be referring to), I agree with the general picture of him you sketch here, even sven. The guy is all over the place sometimes.

Aeschines is a trifle daft.

But, aren’t we all?

Still, he probably benefits by a Pitting, every year or two, just like the rest of us.

< smacks Aeschines with a wet trout >

I don’t suppose you could write that in Korean characters, can you? I’m not so good at reading Korean in Western format. I’ve got the first part, but I’m not sure how the American vowels transfer to the Korean ones.
Oh, and regarding the pit: yeah, some of what he said is pretty ridiculous. Some of it doesn’t really seem to be that ridiculous at all. Meh. Of course, my Japanese experience consists of one small trip there when I was little and the odd hour or so waiting for my connection from/to Korea.

I don’t have Hangul font loaded on my keyboard (and I checked in both Word and Foxfire for it, and we’re not able to download anything at work, unfortunately) It’s the long “O” and the H patch’im (not the Roman H, but the Korean vowel combination that looks like an elongated H). The patch’im is pronounced “AY” to form wae (pronounced “WAY” and is an insulting term meaning “dwarfish” [Apparently, it’s what the Shilla used to call the Japanese]) and the verb particle da is added for emphasis. “Japanese are cheating dwarves!” Maybe I should have used sangnom or kaeseki instead.

I’m sure Hamlet will correct my undoubtedly incorrect Korean, since he clearly knows so much more than I.

Ahhh… I see now. I get most of my colloquial Korean from the yunsaeguk I rent from the local store, so I must have missed the wae. I definitely got the sangnom and kaesaeki. I am impressed with your knowledge of Korean grammar.

Err…sweetheart, that war IS over. Hate to break it to you.

Daniel

Eh, I don’t know, Given the popularity of the Chimp in charge and the tenor of the GOP leadership lately, I’d say the Hillbillies are still in the fight.

:eek: They have that in Japan? I must go there! That would be, like, totally awesome!

Commie pinko ninja-lover! Everyone knows you can’t trust ninjas, pirates aren’t all subtle and stealthy and shit. They just want a good time.

And to flip out and kill ninjas.

Yeah. And pirates have those cool hooks and all the treasure. :smiley:

Sorry I’m still not getting it. How long? Where?