Supposedly, the Bibberty guy is a stud muffin on some soap opera, and his little old lady fans are upset at his playing this dumbshit character.
Obviously not in this case.
The former is definitely true; his name is Tanner Novlan, and he’s been a regular on *The Bold and the Beautiful" since 2020. As to the latter, I am not looped into soap opera fan gossip, so I cannot confirm.
Well, I’d rather see them, than I would the yellow tennis ball. At least they can build a storyline that gets Liberty Mutual’s message across at the same time. The yellow tennis ball is just annoying.
I did get a chuckle out of a Limu Emu and Doug ad. It’s the one where they are playing tennis, and Doug remarks, “They say that tennis is a great way to remember you can bundle and save with Liberty Mutual.”
His opponent dryly remarks, “Do they, Doug?” Her delivery is terrific.
Even better: that’s supposed to be his wife. I wonder if they’re going to write a divorce into his storyline??
Can confirm, my mom doesn’t like seeing his “dumb” persona at all because she worries that it detracts from his character on The Bold and the Beautiful. She does like the ad where he’s cuddling an armful of puppies though.
If you want me to see if being a federal employee entitles me to buy your stuff, yelling at me has the opposite effect.
Why did they come up with that horrible Liberty Biberty thing when they have hot guy + puppies? They didn’t even try to do a good puppet. It has no nose, and its mouth only moves up and down.
Glad you brought this abomination up. I can’t reach for the remote control fast enough. ![]()
Disclosure: I am an advertising strategist, and I spent time working on one of the big property-and-casualty (P&C) insurance companies.
A decade or so ago, Liberty Mutual was still doing serious advertising. I suspect that they were losing market share and relevance to consumers to their competitors – Geico, Progressive, even the stodgier Allstate and State Farm – which were leaning into humor in their ads.
It’s clear to me that they are patterning their ad campaigns after what Geico and Progressive do: multiple campaigns, regularly introducing new ad ideas (like the dumb yellow critter) in search of something that sticks/clicks, etc. But, it’s also clear to me that their ad agency (and/or their internal marketing decision-makers) are not nearly as good at it as the ones who work with Geico and Progressive. Their ads are, IMO, “Temu Geico.”
Wow! Temu.
That’s really not complimentary.
I can see it, tho’.
Rumor has it that Geico is finalizing a deal to spin off their insurance subsidiary, to focus on their core competency of advertising.
I just had the misfortune of seeing this one up close, and the doctor’s face looks off for some reason. I was so distracted by the awfulness of the ad that I didn’t think to look for a disclaimer.
Has anyone seen the diaper commercial where the disclaimer insists that they used an AI-generated baby to protect NICU babies? (The AI-generated baby looks absolutely dreadful, of course.)
The irony is Strong! Starship’s “We Built This City” is being used to shill for Ass-Wipe.
Of all the 1980s rock songs which could have been chosen for a toilet paper ad campaign, this couldn’t have happened to a more worthy song.
Bad song, worse ad.
I’m kind of sympathetic to makers of ads for toilet paper. I mean, what can you do to advertise toilet paper?
Has our entire society forgotten that trail-blazer Mister Whippel?
Not really a bad series of ads.
I found a new bad ad. By a soon to be defunct fashion department store (in 20 years kids will be asking “what is a department store- like the Krogers with the meat dept?”). It advertises- in VERY LOUD voice and three times- ONE DAY SALE (Friday, Saturday and Sunday).
That is three days you innumerate morons.