Agents of SHIELD: S4 E1 "The Ghost" 9/20/16 [edited title]

Right? This first episode didn’t thrill me. I’m amusing myself by calling the villian “Ghost Writer”, though. He always leaves half-written biographies at the scene of the crime. :smiley:

And this one is fireproof. It’s genius on her part, really.

But is he space proof? That’s the real question…

I guess my entertainment requirements are a bit more loose than some others here; I thought it was a fairly decent setup for the season ahead, with lots of potential directions it could go. It did come off a bit more comic-booky than previous seasons. I’ve never paid much attention to the Ghost Rider comics and films, however, so I didn’t find the new guy, and that car he apparently stole from Vin Diesel, all that jarring. I’ll have to see where they go with that plot line; I’m not much for the supernatural.

The kid in the wheel chair right at the end looked familiar, and sure enough. on checking the credits, it was indeed Chris from Fear the Walking Dead. Could this mean he’s not long for the zombie-infested world?

Yeah, not burning this one, plus he’s a regular comic character so no way he’s dying.

I notice the kid in the wheelchair too. Maybe they brought him on this show to kill him off.

Am I misremembering or did the Hispanic Inhuman get a complete personality transplant? I recall her being mousy and hesitant and now she grabbed a guy’s dick out in public.

ETA: I would imagine Ghost Rider is AoS dipping their toe in the Magic side of things with Doctor Strange coming out in about a month.

She never struck me as mousy, but she was occasionally bitchy and hostile. I guess she still is, for everyone but Mac.

Ghost Rider… with a car… Fuck that’s stupid…

almost as stupid as this not being Johnny Blaze or Danny Ketch, the only true Ghost Riders.

Man. . .

This is the worst I’ve felt about this show since it started. I’m NOT on board with the Ghost Rider thing. Just doesn’t work for me, even though I might be fine with it if they did it separate from AGENTS. I admit to being thrown by the lack of motorcycle and Johnny Blaze. . .

I’m not the first to say this is likely the last season for Agents, but it’s the first time I’ve thought it myself. Not sure I can stick with it for the remainder of the season, either.

That was ass. Maybe I’ll give it one or two more tries, but before much longer other shows will be competing for my attention, so they better up their game.

I enjoyed the episode. I like the introduction of a “Ghost Rider”, even if this isn’t the one I read about years ago.

He is the mystical one from the comics, not an inhuman.

Saw a couple articles, the ghost in the box is at least partially a tie-in with the Dr. Strange movie.

Ghost Rider is magic, in fact* diabolic* magic. This changes the show quite a bit. Before in was just inhumans and tech, and the inhumans were explained by tech.

Too damn much Skye. And why does everyone love her so, why is Coulson so obsessed with her? It’s creepy and doesnt match with his character.

They probably couldn’t afford the fx budget to show off Dr. Strange level magic. Ghost Rider is pretty easy. Flames? Yeah, we been doing that for ages.

Why is everyone flipping out on Ghost Rider being different? The SHIELD show makers didn’t change him. In the comics he’s now Robbie Reyes and drives a car now instead of a bike. So the SHIELD show has the new version of Ghost Rider to keep with what’s happening now in the comics. Why is that bad? Some of you guys are coming down on the show like the writers of SHIELD changed the character. They didn’t, he was changed in the comics first.

Yesbut my point was, up until now, magic didn’t exist in that world. Only alien tech. This is a major change.

But they can pick and choose what they want from the comics - it’s not like there’s a current plotline in the comics that AoS is mirroring. And Ghost Rider in a car is objectively stupid.

How does “alien tech” let you see the future? That’s just as magic as any flaming skull.

We had Lorelei, an Asgardian sorceress in season 1 who used magic.

But… Asgardian “magic” is just science according to the Thor movies.

I’m going to be a little late in these threads since I cut cable and just watch it on the ABC website which delays it a week.

I like that SHIELD is being built up again, I didn’t like that Coulson and Mac were walking, talking exposition machines who did literally nothing except set up cameras.

Anyone watch ep 9?

I thought it was pretty good. The running gag with Mack, Yo-Yo and robot movies was amusing.