Am I making a frittata?

I’m no expert on Frisco breakfast, but I read on the Internets that substituting Italian sausage makes it an “Italian Joe’s Special,” and chorizo makes it a “Mexican Joe’s Special.”

The cooks lacked the subtle wit to use “Giuseppe” and “Jose.”

A Spanish “tortilla” incorporates ONLY potato and onion with the eggs. And is served at room temp or cold for lunch, or as part of a tapas spread.

If you put other stuff in there, a Spaniard would probably call it a frittata.

…although many Spanish lunch menus offer “revueltas”…eggs scrambled with a vegetable. Try the asparagus!

I know what we’re making for brunch Sunday!

OK, I’ve just looked up three random frittata recipes. All of them are basically the same as what I did: Cook the fillings in a pan, add egg mixture, bake in the oven. (I did note that one recipe said to add cheese to the egg mixture; I didn’t notice in the others.) So I’m going to call this thing a frittata for now.

Mrs. L.A. only took half of her half this morning, and didn’t eat all of it. I had the foresight to save the leftovers, and I’ve just had them for dinner with some Sriracha sauce. Yum.

Somebody better tell the Spanish Wikipedia editor guys, then.

The word “tortilla” was first recorded used in Spain to refer to omelettes 150 years years before potatoes were first eaten in Europe. While it’s true tortilla de patatas is now the default you’ll get if you ask for “tortilla”, that doesn’t make all the other varieties not tortillas.

That’s how I make them. I call it a frittata because I don’t know what else to call it. Nobody has objected so far. I usually cook it on the stove until it’s set, then add the cheese and pop it under the broiler until nicely browned and bubbly.

Actually, the default assumption nowadays if you ask for a tortilla is probably a thin corn flatbread, with no egg at all.

In Spain?

Sounds pretty close to a frittata. The way I make mine is that I cook it on the stove top for a while until it sets and then put it in the broiler to finish. The result is something like a quiche without a pie crust. It’s a great dish to make if you’re feeding a lot of people.

Quiche is basically a savory pie from what I can tell.

And a Guiche definitely taint a savory pie.

Any time you get into the semantics of regional dishes with similar qualities (savory egg dishes in this case) you’re going to have tons of overlap.

My understanding of a fritatta is that the eggs are cooked slowly on the stove and finished in the oven. Since the OP’s dish involved pouring the egg mixture into the pan and immediately baking, it sounds closer to a quiche to me. I agree that the crust is expected but I’ve seen it done without and still be an obvious quiche.

I was talking about contemporary Spain where, as you say, potato is the default…not pre-patata Europa. Maybe I should have specified.

…but, as I cited, not the only.

Naah, sorry, no pastry, no quiche. Check Larousse…it specifies that it’s a tart.

That was delicious! Thanks to this thread, the wife whipped up an amazing fritatta, with ham, tomatoes, mushrooms, cheese, green onions and a variety of herbs and spices. I’m so stuffed that dinner is out of the question.

Thanks for the inspiration!