[QUOTE=featherlou]
You know, I would normally just let that pass, but I think I’ll take a little umbrage at it. I would say that most of the “sour persimmons” in this thread are ladies of about Elly’s age, and there are some very good reasons why ladies in their 30’s and 40’s get sour about older men dating much younger women. We don’t have an expiration date (well, except for having babies, and women are more than just their uterus) - women, like men, actually do get better with age, and I am not impressed with the way our society still has a marked tendency to dismiss older (read: less obviously sexy) women.
[/QUOTE]
Hmm…can I defend myself?
My inclination is to date women my own age, and I think I made in clear in the OP that my first thought, upon being presented the possibility of dating a woman so much younger, was “Ye Gods, man, you mock men who do that all the time – are you such an utter hypocrite?” But then, as **Lightray ** said,
[QUOTE=Lightray]
This looks to be a classic case of having a bird in hand, while wondering if the bird in the bush might not be better.
[/QUOTE]
Because, you know, going on a date with a woman who is demonstrably into me seems smarter than pursuing one who is not so. (As long as it’s legal, of course.)
Carlyjay’s advice also seems on target. Or, as my real-life best friend would say, I need to get over myself.
[QUOTE=featherlou]
Beth might be buckets of fun, but do you really see a future with someone almost 20 years younger than you? (I’m asking seriously, not meanly.) Assuming you want a future with her, of course.
[/QUOTE]
I don’t know that I want a future with her, because, obviously, I hardly know her. Hence the dating thing.
Today, a different and almost-certainly platonic 19-year-old-girl of my acquaintace asked me if I wanted a wife, and why. My answers were “yes” and “for more reasons than I could name in the five minutes we have before we start talking about The Little Friend.” I don’t think I’d want to pursue the relationship if I had a feeling early on that it was just about fun.
Yes, this date is SO going to go well.