Amazing Race 7/20

If that was at the airline counter, I kinda agreed with him. She was freaking the poor ticket seller out and being WAY too intense. I mean, even after he told her to shut-up, she still kept the weird “But are you really, reaallllyyy sure you don’t have any seats left” thing going for another couple of repetitions.

Rule number 3: Don’t piss off or freak out the airline ticket sellers!

Can someone help me? Early on I’ve heard that there’ll only be two or three fast forwards in this version of Race. I took it to mean only two or three FF’s would be offered.
However, over here at the route markers section of TAR website:

The wording is:

No Team used the Fast Forward on this leg.
No Team found the Yield on this leg.
This sounds like the FF is there, but nobody’s going for it just yet.

If there is one thing that any long time watcher of AR knows as a signature them of the show, it is bunching. Each episode we watch has at least one and often multiple points where something along the lines of operating hours or available seats bunches the contestants up in a way that eliminates all previous advantages. Many times that has been viewed as a negative, especially the infamous season when Flo was able to win.

That said, this episode really highlights how important and necessary bunching is since this one had none. Not a single point. Once the airport ticketing was done, it was clear sailing for every team. Nothing could get in the way so how they deplaned is essentially how things finished. I haven’t been the biggest fan of bunching, but last night at least helps me see that a spot or two of it each episode is necessary to build tension and really test the teams.

Well, according to travel.yahoo.com you can’t go from Buenos Aires to Moscow (or St. Petersburg, for that matter) directly, but I doubt there will be any tasks in between. Likely the teams will be split between connections in London, Frankfurt, Paris, etc. Could be another episode similar to this past one where the time of the initial flight into whatever city in Russia they’re going to makes most of the difference.

Just guesstimating here, but I think the longest hop ever done in the Amazing Race was New York to Johannesburg, South Africa in season 1. According to this site that’s 7980 miles. If you could get from Buenos Aires to Moscow directly it’d be a plane ride of 8370 miles (St. Petersburg is only 8200 miles) so this should be the new record.

next episode is in St. Petersburg.

Yay!

Yep! Reality Reel Media put’s 'em in St. Pete.

It’ll be interesting to see how many different ways the teams take to get there.
Weren’t travel agents used by some teams w/cell phones the last couple of times?

And it looks like Fenris is right…part of the St. Pete update describes a “gut wrenching amount of caviar.”
bleh!

In an unrelated story…I was looking for something else and ran across a Calgary Sun article last March 30 that reported these guys (#5) were spotted in Alberta for a half-day shoot in the Banff area. No other information though, so it doesn’t look like we can make some inside information bets.

I think a lot of the teams started out eating the chocolates, until they caught on to the “bite and spit” method. In any case, poor Marshall was there for over an hour – stuffing that much chocolate into one’s face would make anyone sick, whether you swallow it or not!

Wow. San Carlos De Bariloche to St Petersburg. Two ways to do it, neither one fun.

As straight line distance 8971 miles.

Flying through Buenos Aires, to Frankfurt, tho St Petersburg, looking at July 26th just to have a date to plug in, it works out like this: * Terms below

26 July 04 BRC to EZE AR 1903 departs at 0210 arrives at 0410
26 July 04 EZE to FRA LH 527 departs at 1550 arrives at 1020 July 27
27 July 04 FRA to LED LH 3218 departs at 1310 arrives at 1750

Elapsed time in air (not counting time between flights),18 hours and 10 minutes.
Cumulative mileage: 9048

The other living hell way to fly it is to go through Buenos Aires, New York, Tokyo, Singapore, and on to St Petersburg. Takes from July 26th to the 29th and runs 17853 miles. Yes, I had to force those connections.

Even with the direct Frankfurt method, I really don’t envy any of these people. Especially in economy. :slight_smile:

*Terms:

BRC San Carlos de Bariloche
EZE Buenos Aires
FRA Frankfurt
LED St Petersburg
AR Aerolineas Argentinas
LH Lufthansa

To quote Jimmy Kimmel, “Charla is the electro-cutest”. :smiley: But her team is going to lose quickly if they can’t figure out how to read a frigging map. They’re getting lost everywhere is ridiculous.

I have to wonder why Pizza Boy kept biting into each piece. Personally, I would have started squashing as much chocolate as I could after I’d been there and seen one other team go past me.

And am I the only person who went “Hmm. 6 miles downhill can be biked in about 20 minutes. 5000 parasailing has gotta be under 10”?

And while I’m sad to see Military Dad go, it’s his daughter’s fault. They should not have been buying tickets for anybody else at the airport.

The clue did specifically say they had to bite into the chocolate, although they did not have to eat it.

Charla and Mirna - let’s see, they lie and whine, get lost, complain that nobody else is helping them, make stupid choices.

Heck, they are the poster children for reality show winners. A virtual shoo-in. Feh. I cannot stand them, therfore they are destined to win.