"American Dreams" 1/4 -- what did Patty see?

I was kind of half watching the show and half puttering around on the computer, so I actually have two questions – first, what did Patty’s friend say to her about the boy in the pet store, and second, what did she see him do that freaked her out?

Thanks!

I’m using spoiler boxes because I don’t know how people feel about the show - I enjoy it, but spoilers like this wouldn’t stress me out, but just in case they would bother someone…

Her friend said that they used to call him “Noah” in elementary school because his pants were short enough to make it through the great flood - and that people already thought Patty was weird, so she didn’t need to be seen hanging out with the Pet Department kid.
Then when Patty was in the store, she looked down at his pants to see how short they were before saying that she was already being helped and buying the hamster.

I wondered if

JJ was going to injure his ankle again accidentally on purpose after talking to the kid who’d been paralyzed. Guess not.

Thanks, Lsura. (God, I love this place – it’s so great to get an immediate answer to a question like this!)

I heard half the conversation, so got the nickname but not the significance. That makes sense. God, I feel for Patty, her struggles with her own nerdery.

And on the other – yeah, interesting twists in that. He seems to have taken what he thinks is the path of self-preservation – I wonder what his honor-obsessed father would/will make of his decision?

(Very eventful episode – we also had

Sam’s decision about Penn, JJ’s friend hitting on Meg, and the interaction between Roxanne and whatshisface; plus the fate of the youngest brother’s hospital roommate.

Plus the stuff about Jack’s brother, the cop.

Wow, for a long time I thought I was the only one who watched this show.

I adore this show. I was sorry to see Patty’s decision about the boy in the pet store. I want her to grow the strength to throw the cares of the snobby girls in school to the wind and follow her own heart.

The storyline about Will’s friend in the hospital left me sniffling. Why did they do that to us?

You know you’re old when you remember the original performances on American Bandstand that are now faked on American Dreams.

Patty’s a little snot. For someone that has been an “outie”, she shouldn’t dump a friend just because he has short pants.

I think Luke and Roxanne are going to get it on sometime. Also, I’m betting on Meg to get pregnant. It’s a great show, but it seems to have lost a little edge since the first year. Looks like the end of the line this year.

Patty’s definitely a little snot – but I do feel her pain. She’s way too smart for her own good; has an older sister who’s gorgeous and popular and a younger brother who, because of his medical situation, gets a lot of attention; and has no way to make sense of her conflicting desired to fit in and to be herself. I really relate to her.

Patty’s definitely a little snot – but I do feel her pain. She’s way too smart for her own good; has an older sister who’s gorgeous and popular and a younger brother who, because of his medical situation, gets a lot of attention; and has no way to make sense of her conflicting desires to fit in and to be herself. I really relate to her.

Meg Pryor pregnant?

Nah, not going to happen. Roxanne maybe, but this show is built on the image of Meg as the standard bearer for all the good girls more and more.

Now, maybe if the show survives long enough for Meg to go to college and become a hippie and end up at Woodstock (like Julia Stiles in that deplorable “The Sixties” miniseries that inspired Dick Clark to come up with “American Dreams” in the first place) perhaps. But not now.

I don’t think she’ll get pregnant - I actually have my doubts as to whether she’ll actually go “all the way” with Drew, even though previews make it look like she does.

If she does have sex with him, I’m betting that she’s going to think she’s pregnant, but she won’t actually be.

I’m also irritated that she picked him instead of the other guy, even though I can see why she did - he’s different, hasn’t always been around. Plus, he’s the “older guy” and had all these opinions that are different from the rest of her family.

I’m betting that Roxanne will get pregnant right about sweeps time.

The only question I have is whether JJ will get wounded and come back a hero or get wounded and come back in a pine box. I called the “ends up as a Marine in Vietnam” scenario the moment I found out his age in the first episode. I’m having a hard time watching his scenes in the shows - reminds me too much of the military boyfriend I had… before the jerk came back from seven months of training across the country and suddenly decided he wanted to be single. Grr.

My prediction that I have made ever since JJ enlisted is that he will get into heavy combat and will become MIA. He will miraculously return for one of the following reasons.
1)Sweeps Month
2)Season Finale
3)Series Finale(which, contrary to other guesses made, i see being at least 2 years from now)
Other predictions:
Luke will definitely hook up with Roxanne.
Roxanne will find herself pregnant, but not by Luke.
Will not only starts walking but gets involved with football as he gets older, possibly the career that JJ screwed up?
Patty will have her first romance.

God, it’s great to see discussion of this show here. I haven’t posted on the subject because all anyone wants to talk about is how inaccurate the music timeline is(which admittedly annoys me too).

Chris W

I have a feeling Patty is really going to rebel against religion later on - she has already done so in minor ways, but I think it’s going to be a much bigger issue in the future.

Out of curiosity, has anyone heard that the first season might be released on DVD? I wasn’t watching then, but I’d like to see it.