American Sit-coms that never took place in America.

Funny you should mention this show. It occurred to me too.

There were two pilots made for an American remake of Red Dwarf.

There was the occasional scene of characters on leave in Tokyo.

Did any episodes of Hyperdrive include scenes set in the UK?

The only other US shows I can think of are Combat! and The Rat Patrol, and I wouldn’t call either of them a sitcom…

Add The Gallant Men, Twelve O’Clock High, Court Martial, Garrison’s Gorillas, and Jericho to the list … though I don’t recall how many (if any) characters were Americans in the last. (I’m referring here to the series about Resistance fighters in WWII that was on around 1966.)

Also not sitcoms.

A couple more British series:

Up Pompeii, set in ancient Pompeii, shortly before AD 79.

Dead Ernest, set in Heaven.

A year or two ago there was a short-lived sitcom called Welcome to Sweden about an American living in Sweden with his Swedish girlfriend. I only saw it once and really just had it on in the background and wasn’t paying much attention to it, so I’m not sure if it went back and forth between the US and Sweden or was set entirely in Sweden.

The Flying Nun was situated in a convent in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

And about half of Timeslides.

Part of Lemons took place in England, too, but more was in India.

Let’s see how many of these I can answer:

Operation Petticoat was in the late 1970s; a young Jamie Lee Curtis was in the first season, mainly because her parents were in the original movie.

And I vaguely remember Six O’Clock Follies; IIRC, the first episode dealt with talk that they were going to be pulled out (I think they were building an airfield, and the talk was that it was to pull everybody out), only for it to turn out that the airstrip was there because of President Johnson’s increase of troop strength.

If you mean the scenes in the opening credits (and even then, it was just the Skipper and Gilligan), then yes, they were not. The first episode begins with them on the island. It’s possible that you are thinking of the pilot, with a slightly different cast.

Come Back Mrs. Noah - but didn’t the first episode, where the launch occurs, take place at least in part in the UK?

Does the “KU” (the backwards UK) from “Sdrawkcab” count?

The second one is with an asterisk - it’s a couple of minutes of Rimmer and Lister talking to the camera, followed by “scenes from upcoming episodes”, including one taken directly from the UK episode “Camille”. (This is the one that NBC refused to let the BBC include on the DVD for some reason.)

Also, I think there’s one scene in Hogan’s Heroes that takes place at least partially in the USA; in the first episode with Major Bonacelli (an Italian officer who works with Hogan), Hogan needs a pizza recipe, and one of the prisoners says his father runs a pizzeria, so they call him (via London), and they do show somebody in a pizzeria reading off a list of ingredients.

It was set mostly in Sweden, but there scenes shot in NYC even after the pilot. It’s a shame it was canceled, but it we were lucky it was ever broadcast in the US to begin with let alone given a 2nd season.

Not quite. Even if you don’t count the occasional subspace video chat with an admiral back at Starfleet HQ, there was also that episode with Teri Garr in it that took place in modern-day USA (Assignment: Earth).

Ah, yeah, I vaguely remember that. I think you may be right, I think they had a guy from a pizzaria reading a recipe.

Which kind of shoots down my whole concept, which began with Hogan. :stuck_out_tongue:

And the one where Edith Keeler Must Die.

My feeling is The Flintstones always had a California feel to it, what with Hollyrock and the Tar Pits, and the drive-thru hamburger joint where the dinosaur ribs are slapped onto a tray attached to their car.

Not sure if The Flintstones is considered a sitcom, though.

Best of the West, F Troop, and Dusty’s Trail were non-specifically located in the Old West, which could have been US Territories and not states. I don’t know if there’s any way to tell.

ISTR that Wilma discovered America when she visited Columbus.
Probably this episode:

That late? I’m surprised!

Sounds more like Tour of Duty to me. Follies was set in a radio/TV station, IIRC.

Yes, I count the pilot. I’d have to check my DVD collection to see if any of the Hawaii scenes were incorporated into the early episodes.

Yes, it did.

I remember that episode. The Italian was Vito Scotti, the same guy who played the mad scientist on Gilligan’s Island. In the one with the Russian pilot (not Vladimir Minsk), the guest star was Bob Hastings, who played Elroy Carpenter on McHale’s Navy.

It was an animated takeoff on The Honeymooners, wasn’t it? Just like Top Cat was an animated version of You’ll Never Get Rich (aka Sgt Bilko).

Not sure, but it may have been a forerunner of Good Morning, Vietnam!