Android question: suppressing recommendations

I’m a new user of a Nexus 7 Android tablet.

Seems useful so far, but I really don’t like having recommendations for apps, videos & books shoved in my face. I’m willing to look at these when I ask for them, but not otherwise.

So how do I turn off this “You’ll always see recommendations” feature?

Is this the Recommendations widget from the Play Store on your home screen? If so, you should be able to long press the widget, and then drag it to the wherever the trash can icon appears to get rid of it. If it’s something else, like recommendations showing up as notifications, then I’m not sure what’s causing that or how to disable it.

If you’re not familiar with the Android lingo, “widgets” are the mini-apps which you can place on your home screen, such as clocks, weather, twitter feeds, etc. “Notifications” are the small icons that appear at the top of the screen to let you know about new emails, etc.

Thanks - that worked once I realized that the symbol in the form of a largeish “X” was the trash can.

Maybe I should RTFM.

Ha! Most stuff doesn’t even come with manuals anymore. Didn’t get much with my Galaxy S3, nor my Asus tablet. :frowning:

I hear it’s in the internets now.

The Nexus 7 has a manual pre-loaded.