Ann Coulter: Whore of Babylon?

My favorite was Jon Stewart’s “The Diary of Ann Frankly Out of Her Mind.”

Well, yeah, if you’re real fond of the bleached blonde, wealthy, skeletal crack-monster look…

Obviously, she’s got money. She NEEDS someone to help her choose a wardrobe.

With Rush, you can pretend that it’s the Michelin Tire Man after the lobotomy and a trip to Brooks Brothers.

You guys are expecting rational discourse on Fox News?

Just as the guy in the Monty Python sketch went looking for an argument, one goes to Fox News and any number of its imitators looking for the political equivalent of the WWF.

You want rational discourse, read your goddam newspapers or participate in a city council meeting or a message board such as this one. And Scylla, you can cluck your tongue about the good old days on the SDMB all you want, but I really doubt things are any more partisan now than there were back in the day.

And really, what the hell is wrong with “partisan?” Or is that just another code word like “politically correct?”

Discourse should be civil. It sure as hell doesn’t have to be nonpartisan.

Jon: Scylla was pointing out that the web is full of partisan locales for all sides, collectivist, individualist, authoritarian, libertarian, and any mixture thereof. In those places, a rational, intelligent, cite-providing member of a politically unfavored group will be stomped by the regulars simply because of the partisanship. It gets tiring quickly, if you don’t like barfights.

Scylla thought the SDMB was different. He thought `Here is a place diverse enough and intelligent enough to prevent any kind of pure partisanship. Here, anyone, regardless of politics, who does not back up his claims with facts shall be stomped and whaled on most unmercifully for, yea, this is the Land of Cecil, Fighter of Ignorance, Defender of the Reader, etc. etc.’

According to his post, he’s beginning to detect a bias against Republicans and other self-styled Conservatives, to the point where a poster can demonize a member of a right-wing' group and, apparently, get away with more than anyone who'd attack someone of a left-wing’ group.

Do I agree? Well, not entirely. I think that if I were to call Bush a child-murdering son of a bitch who waged a religious war against the peaceful Islamic nation of Iraq*, I would get slammed into next week by all intelligent Dopers, no matter what political persuasion they happened to be. If I were to persist in unsocial behavior and turn my wrath on those who disagreed with me, I would be banned faster than december was. Even though my position could, vaguely, be considered `lefty’.

*That statement is wrong in many parts and is nothing I’d actually say. I just used it as an example.

Try to remember
That our friend December
was around for several years and several thousands of threads before he got the ax. Remember that he did not catch it for being a mindless tool of the Republican Party, although he was that, but for repeatedly posting dishonest information and arguments and committing what in at least one trade is called perpetrating a fraud on the court. Some of his sidekicks tried to characterize our friend as a martyr for the cause of free discussion and fair treatment for neo-conservatives but that dog would not hunt.

You want partisan and screeching and muttered threats and a general lack of civility? Try posting a Second Amendment discussion. Like all other aspects of nostalgia, the good old days were neither good nor all that old.

So far as I can tell each one of us reserves the right to throw dead cats at anyone we wish. Sometimes the cats are heaved at Scylla and sometimes Scylla throws dead cats. It is equal opportunity cat flinging around here.

Brilliant!! I’m going to have to reread the trilogy now!

Scylla, you’re right. this board is too partisan. it’s gone way to the right since September 11th.

I still would, though.

Obviously, you’ve never been to city councel meeting in Southern California…

What a kind, thoughtful, balanced comment from a poster who has played as substantial a role as anyone in lowering the level of discourse on this board. Let’s hope there is an implicit promise to improve his own behavior in that post.

I think Ann has a rather well-defined job among the right-wing media pundits: It’s her job to throw the most insane points out there to see how people react. Didn’t she defend McCarthy in her most recent book? Considering how we have Patriot I already, and Patriot II and RFID on the way, convincing the dittoheads that McCarthy was a great guy makes it a little easier to implement Big Brother.

Coutler also allows the other conservative pundits to seem less extreme in their viewpoints. I mean, how else can Bill O’Reilly seem “independent” unless you compare him to someone like Coulter?