Anne Heche: Actress, lost soul, burn victim [Update: She has passed]

Yeah, I imagine it sounded and felt like a bomb was literally dropped on the intersection.

Only problem is as I get older, in my 60’s now, I find I have less patience with athletes and celebrities. Not to say I do not admire some as I do but for the most part they put their pants on one leg at a time like we do. I met Goldie Hawn and Burt Reynolds back when they were making Best Friends. I worked on their security detail. Two of the most decent people I have ever met. I also met and helped protect Steven Tyler and thought he was as down to earth as anyone can be. I also helped protect Tommy Lee Jones who was the biggest pompous ass I’ve met in my life. A few others fell in between these folks.

For someone with no interest in celebrities, you do seem to devote a lot of energy to going into celebrity threads to proudly tell people that you don’t even know who they are and how little interest you would have in them even if you did hypothetically know (which you don’t). And at the same time to impart your fascinating insider information on what celebrities do with their pants. But I guess you were interested in celebrities before it became so mainstream to be interested in celebrities.

[Moderating]

Anyone who is not interested in the topic, please do not post. Anyone else, please do not engage with anyone’s lack of interest.

“Going into celebrity threads”. I do believe this is my first one but thanks for your worthless response.

Has the severity of the burns been reported? It’s usually stated as percent of the body.

It’s been reported Heche was in the car fire for a long time. It’s astonishing that she’s still alive.

I read a interview of a neighbor that tried getting her out. He had to retreat after the fire ignited.

Yeah, he came off as a jackass when Terry Gross interviewed him on Fresh Air.

Heche has had problems in the past and she might at present be struggling again mentally or with substance abuse. So… feel a bit sorry for her because people in that position are miserable. On the other hand, while it may explain damage to others or the surrounding environment/structures/landscape it does not excuse that.

As for burn victims - skin grafts can be life saving but they are far from perfect. The scar tissue is fragile, contractures can limit movement, there can be on-going pain, and since the skin isn’t normal all sorts of complications from heat intolerance (scars do not sweat, messing up the body’s temperature control) to infections from easily-damaged skin acquiring breaks, to other stuff I’ve probably forgotten about for the moment. She is going to suffer terribly through surgeries and rehab, and may or may not have disabilities that go beyond just messed up skin (which is bad enough for an actress who depends in part on her looks for a living) if she has to have digits or parts of limbs amputated. Add in the required pain medications for all that AND a susceptibility to substance abuse… I fear even best case her future looks bleak.

I also feel badly for the folks who owned the house she burned down - they basically lost everything except their lives and their pets and what they were wearing at the time of the fire. Why isn’t there more media-generated sympathy for them? Who is going to help them get a new home, replace their stuff, and deal with (likely) what they owe on a mortgage on a house that no longer exists?

Don’t give to a GoFundMe for Heche, give to the family she burned out of their home. (Note that I am unaware of any actual charity set up for anyone involved, it’s just a hypothetical at the time I type this.)

Because the US has ridiculously lax laws on who is and isn’t allowed to drive, and even those are very poorly enforced.

So far I haven’t seen any reporting on that.

Early in the news cycle I caught an unedited/unpixelated photo of her being put in an ambulance. She’d been wrapped in a sheet because, essentially, she had no clothes on. Didn’t see everything, but she had bare feet, her right lower leg looked bare, the left either still had pants or was covered in soot/dust/blackened (no shoe, though), and was naked from the waist up. Not sure if the clothes were burned off or removed by paramedics. My limited research tells me that it is standard practice to remove clothing both because hot clothing/accessories can continue to burn and/or retain heat (which you do not want to do with a burn), and you want to avoid anything in the least way constrictive because swelling can set in, even in unburned parts of the body due to all sorts of things going wrong.

Another disturbing aspect of the rescue was that they didn’t remove her from the car until AFTER the fire was largely out and they had pulled the burned car from inside the house to outside, and had to take her out through the passenger side even though on impact she had to have been in the driver’s seat. The car was still smoking when they pulled her out. Maybe she tried to escape through the passenger door? Who knows?

I’m sort of curious how she avoided dying of smoke inhalation.

The video was shot at a distance so details were absent, but her back was darkened, either from soot or, perhaps, burns or dirt or whatever. Most of the hair on the left side of her head had clearly been singed/burned off. She was moving, waving her hands around and I’m guessing arguing with the paramedics but I can’t be sure. They had been loading her into the ambulance when she sat up and tried to unwrap the sheet from around her. I’m guessing she was in some form of shock/running on adrenaline which can mask pain for awhile. Also, if some of the burns were third degree she wouldn’t be in pain from them because of the destruction of nerves, it’s less-than-third-degree burns that are painful. Very painful. Which probably wouldn’t have helped her state of mind, either.

That would be on top of any form of concussion or blunt force trauma she received from running into stuff while in the car.

Beyond that, anything else would be covered by medical privacy laws. If Heche or her family want to release more information they can, but otherwise it’s nobody’s business no matter how curious.

He has, or at least did then, a personal bodyguard travel with him although I doubt this was the term they used. Personal security maybe. He confided in me one day that if offered enough money he’d kick Tommy’s ass personally.

wasn’t drug use rumored to be one of the reasons she and ellen ended their relationship?

There were lots of rumors.

We really don’t know what was going on with Ms. Heche the day she crashed her car twice and was set on fire. Best to remember that speculation is just that - speculation.

The media has reported that her condition on arrival in the hospital was too dire to allow for alcohol or drug testing, so make of that what you will. Doctors will focus on saving the patient and leave the drug testing for later, or not at all. She was probably near death on arrival and she still might not survive. I don’t wish her ill, and I hope she gets whatever help she needs, but her past will dog her going forward.

There’s a bottle in the TMZ photo. I don’t think the police can prove its alcohol from the photo.

The bottle may not have survived the fire. That would be a big break for Heche.

Likely they meant a legal test, that would be admissible in court and thus potentially releasable to the media, as opposed to being covered by HIPPAA. A doctor wanting to know what drugs or alcohol a patient has in their system to drive their medical care is easy enough.

There’s similarity in that blood alcohol testing apparently was not performed on either of them…

I also hope she recovers well. And hires a chauffeur.

Actually we do. She did a pod cast where she talked about drinking wine coolers and vodka, She was in a hit-and-run accident at a parking garage, and she was video’d racing in a residential area at an estimated 90 mpg THROUGH an intersection into a house…

Whatever mental problems she may have she should still have 2 brain cells to rub together to know her actions were extremely dangerous.

She is lucky she didn’t kill someone at the intersection where the house was. She’s lucky she didn’t kill someone in the house. That woman lost all her possessions and her work equipment.

My sympathy has decreased considerably since first reading about her.

Whatever broken legs the dude had, he shoulda been able to walk a little!
You don’t understand mental illness at all.
I’m glad no one else was hurt, and I hope Ms. Heche recovers.

My understanding is that the date on which the podcast was recorded is not yet known.

Yes, and TMZ reports that Heche’s rep says it was recorded Monday and first posted Thursday, not Friday as first reported.

I’m just a couple of degrees of separation away from Anne Heche.

I don’t know her at all, and the intermediate people really aren’t people that I’m all that close to on a regular basis.

But my first temptation was to pick up the phone … until I realized how much chaos there must be in all of their lives – maybe not just today – over this issue.

But it did make me think about the story just a little bit more than if it were somebody from whom I was a lot more than a few hops away.

I also dated an ICU nurse years ago. She regularly worked in the Burn Unit and the Pediatric Burn Unit. When she would come home after a shift in either of those units, she was emotionally wrung out.

I was once a volunteer firefighter. I don’t have a wealth of experience, but … yeah … Anne Heche is in for a big world of hurt.

I’m glad the human toll wasn’t even worse.

And they also speculated it was a vodka bottle in her car. I guess we’ll find out.