Another SDMB fantasy football league

Hah, there was a league last year that you may or may not have been in that was based on a bunch of the stats and averages Football Outsiders uses to do a more ‘sabermetric’ type approach. Influence to yards/play and how you performed relative to the mean, efficiency, lots of mathy stuff like that. It was a little bit complicated but a ton of fun :slight_smile:

Really, though, I was more talking about the standard stuff - how many passing/rushing/receiving yards to a point, and all that. We’ve generally modified these things at least a bit in the past.

Crap. Damn you, procrastination. There still room for moi?

Remember that one league where that guy flipped out and quit because we were arguing too much about stat categories? That was awesome.

My preference is to have yardage be more important than TDs.

TD-heavy leagues are too random. A balance is okay, though.

What do you guys/gals think about adding a yardage bonus?

If you’re in favor of one, what should the yardage/points be set at?

Damn it, day late and a dollar short.

I know. I’m SO slacking off right now. I’m only in one league.

I liked the settings from last year and wouldn’t mind using them again.

It’s kind of screwy to me that a guy that threw for 90 yards, 2 TDs gets 13 points (if I’m reading it correctly) while a guy that throws for 250 and 1 td gets 11 points.

Similarly, if they bring in a short yardage running back for a handful of carries and he gets 8 yards and 1 TD, he gets 6 points, whereas if the starting running back got 125 yards, 0 TDs, he only gets 5.

In each of those cases, the latter case made a vastly more important contribution, but scores less in fantasy points. And fantasy scores become volatile - some weeks your star qb throws 1 TD, sometimes 4, less predictably than yardage- that it takes some of the strategy out of it, I think.

But I’m cool with going with whatever the consensus is. Just wanted to make those points.

Last year, in one of the not-terrifyingly-avant-garde SDMB leagues, we had a great deal of discussion about just that subject (yards vs. TDs). I mean, a great deal. What we ended up with as league settings:

Roster Positions: QB, WR, WR, RB, TE, W/R, K, DEF, DB, DL, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN
Stat Categories: Passing Yards (25 yards per point)
Passing Touchdowns (6)
Interceptions (-2)
Rushing Yards (10 yards per point)
Rushing Touchdowns (6)
Receptions (1)
Reception Yards (10 yards per point)
Reception Touchdowns (6)
Return Yards (25 yards per point)
Return Touchdowns (6)
2-Point Conversions (2)
Fumbles Lost (0)
Offensive Fumble Return TD (6)
Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3)
Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3)
Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3)
Field Goals 40-49 Yards (4)
Field Goals 50+ Yards (5)
Point After Attempt Made (1)
Sack (1)
Interception (2)
Fumble Recovery (2)
Touchdown (6)
Safety (2)
Block Kick (2)
Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns (6)
Points Allowed 0 points (10)
Points Allowed 1-6 points (7)
Points Allowed 7-13 points (4)
Points Allowed 14-20 points (1)
Points Allowed 21-27 points (0)
Points Allowed 28-34 points (-1)
Points Allowed 35+ points (-4)
Tackle Solo (0.5)
Sack (3)
Interception (2)
Fumble Force (2)
Fumble Recovery (2)
Touchdown (6)
Safety (2)
Pass Defended (1)
Block Kick (2)
Fractional Points: Yes
Negative Points: Yes

Individual defensive players were a waste of time, I thought, but I don’t recall any complaints with regard to the point allocations for yardage. It’s a viable point from which to start haggling, at the very least. Because those who do not learn from the past are doomed to start the friggin’ season gangbusters again, then lose 7 in a row when TO gets suspended. Or something.

How did your settings change the balance of power between RBs, QBs, and WRs?

I’d say the balance was very slightly shifted away from running backs and quarterbacks toward receivers, so that the Steve Smiths of the world almost put up as many points as the top running backs. Running backs were the highest scorers on most teams, but teams with dominant receivers and mediocre running backs were very competitive. Quarterbacks overall were slightly devalued.

With the exception of the individual defensive players, Jimmy, that scoring system looks acceptable to me. With this being my first real league, I’d prefer we stick to team defense, since that’s what all the material I’ve been studying is focused on.

What sort of drafting order are we using? I prefer the system wherein the last to pick in the first round picks first in the second round, and then all the way back to the first drafter in the first round in reverse order. May be called serpentine? Can’t remember.

Seems too unfair to let the same guy get the first pick in every round.

We’re using a serpentine (first on round one is last in round two).

I’m not in this league, (because I so rarely open MPSIMS…doh!) but I was one of the main proponents in the debates that set the rules Jimmy posted.

Specifically, I passionately argued for (and finally got) awarding 1 point per reception. I had reams of numbers, stats, and analyses to back up the argument. That league was tremendously fun, and it did boost receivers up to being more active participants in defining a team’s success or failure.

However, in hindsight, the more seasoned fantasy players were indeed shown to be correct. A full point per reception is simply too much. I fully intended to join the generic SDMB league that formed this year, (this one,) but also planned to equally passionately advocate a half point (0.5) per reception in the interest of balance.

Take that for what it’s worth, and have fun in this league. Don’t mind me all sullen and pouting in the corner; I realized that in a generic (non-keeper) league, with random draft order, there’s no way in hell I could assemble the team I want anyway.

Not that my opinion matters here, but from reading through this thread, I think your best bet is to use the rules Jimmy posted minus the IDP and scaling back receptions to a half point per. (I’d haggle the turnover numbers, but they don’t amount to much compared to the yardage numbers anyway.)

Just an FYI: The IDP stats are listed after the DEF stats, so for example a sack is listed as 1 point for the DEF, whereas it’s 3 for an IDP. Just in case anyone was confused.

::digging, digging::

Just to remind everyone the draft is scheduled for Sunday Sept. 3, 9pm. CDT.

I also adjusted the scoring so yardage/ TD were more balanced.
Passing
Before: 50yd. = 1pt. After: 25yd. = 1pt.

Receiving
Before: 25yd = 1pt After: 10yd = 1pt. 3pt bonus at 200yd

Rushing
Before: 25yd = 1pt After: 10yd = 1pt 3pt bonus at 200yd

Looks better, but the bonus perhaps gives a bit much the quarterbacks. It’s very common to pass for 200 yards, and very uncommon to run for 200.

I’d rather see the bonuses at 300 yards for passing, and 125-150 yards for rushing.

furt needs more players in his league:

Yahoo # 8674

Password “notreally”

Not sure what the stats are in the actual league, but what he posted to the thread was a bonus for receiving yards, not passing.

ED, you’re needed, cousin.

That goes for the rest of you, too. It’s not a live draft, somebody help Rico out.