Another Worthless Celebrity Anti-Vaxer

Roald Dahl had a daughter die of measles encephalitis He was totally pro-vax.

ETA: When googling to get the Dahl story, I found there’s a book telling chldren to embrace measles. Holy Shit!

What the *fuck *is wrong with you?

As Monty adroitly points out (thanks, brother), it’s a nickname for the President. The President I’ve twice voted for, raised money for, and admire greatly. Admittedly, as it’s a nickname he used as a child, it might–arguably–be disrespectful, but no more than “Bubba” and certainly less so than “Shrub.” Or does the fact that I use those terms to refer to past presidents make me racist too?

Also…the *fuck *is wrong with you?

Yeah, poor choice of words, apologies. I should have stuck with “spokespeople.” I don’t know if they get any compensation for their appearances on behalf of the orgs they represent, and don;t much care. And I definitely did not mean to diminish in any way the work done by people like Jennifer Garner or Kristi Yamaguchi (American Lung Assn.), J.Lo (Sounds of Pertussis) and Marc Anthony (flu.gov), or Keri Russel (PKIDs). I’m sure there are a bunch more.

Thanks for that! The best part is someone mentioned this nifty meter I’d never heard of until now: Anti-Vaccine Body Count.

Because I will never argue one side without knowing the other point of view, I read McCarthy’s book. She claims to have a “google degree in anti-vaccinations.” So every anti-vax website is a correct source of information?

About as useful as a Google Degree in Conspiracies. Because ya know, that proves they’re true. There really are secret underground alien bases consuming hundreds of thousands of lost and kidnapped children per year. Right?

Also my reaction. I had absolutely no idea who she is so I looked her up. I still haven’t ever heard of her or seen her picture before now. I did learn that she’s married to Jay Cutler.

Neither of whom is Jewish! A further reason to forbid goy marriage!

Tech Times (the website posting the article linked to in the OP) makes some questionable statements such as:

“With the anti-vax movement gaining momentum, critics and defenders alike have emerged in droves.”

“Gaining momentum”? Antivaxers have yet to recover from the disastrous publicity surrounding the Andrew Wakefield debacle. Some mainstream media outlets that used to try to “tell both sides” have realized that there is only one sane and logical position on the subject and are refusing to cater to antivax sentiment with false “balance”.

Tech Times also blew it when they said: “Esteemed medical bodies such as the American Medical Association and the American Academy of Pediatrics are quick to dismiss the possibility of vaccines causing autism” (italics added). There’s nothing remotely hasty about determining that there is no link between vaccination and autism; that conclusion is based on many years of voluminous research and clinical experience.

I wouldn’t get too excited about another B celebrity showing off her “pregnancy brain” on this subject.

If you’re a mom, you don’t even need science. Education? Bah! Go with your gut, like your ancestors did.

I forgot about P&T; that’s the kind of response I would hope for from a celebrity.

Or maybe a handful of autistic ones.

“Google degree”? Is that like, one step lower on the higher education rung than a degree from the University Of Phoenix?

I’ve no love whatsoever for the antivaxer crowd, but that potshot at UP isn’t accurate. It is an accredited university and their degree is not worthless.

Yes, I was amiss in making an assumption based on the second post. However, given that Fox gave her a mouthpiece twice (admittedly only once for the anti-vaccination stance itself), my question still holds.

And what someone means by calling the President “Barry” depends entirely on what name is said to follow that. If it’s “Soetoro,” as it often is, then yes, that person is a putz. (It’s probably why it was reacted to negatively, if andros really is wondering.)

I’m confused. Are you implying that concern about the link between pollution and neurological conditions like autism is as far-fetched as anti-vaccine insanity? Because I assure you they’re not even in the same mega-universe. The “science” has been discounted in the latter, but it is strengthening in the former.

Bash the anti-vaxxers all you want. They are the definition of “anti-science”. But please don’t mistake reputable science for anti-vax hysteria. We actually do know that lots of the shit floating around us is harmful.

If you are just questioning the conclusions being made in that particular article, then I will join you on that.

Oh, so Andros is a childhood friend of Obama?

It’s been a tough week here.

First, there is a measles outbreak in my fucking neighborhood. Unvaccinated children, children under 1 year old, and the elderly are catching it. My wife and I brought our 3 1/2 year old son to get his booster early within 24 hours of the outbreak.

And now more anti-vax poison is making the rounds. My son is autistic. We vaccinated him. If we could do it again, we would vaccinate again.

Two of the measles cases in NYC were transmitted in a doctor’s office, apparently.

I know it’s a bit of a hijack, but this certainly sucks.

Yeah. The DoH was telling people that if they suspected they or someone in their home had measles, to stay home just to avoid transmitting it in doctor’s offices or hospitals full of undervaccinated people.