I’m 27, single female, living with a roommate in NYC (Queens), working part-time at a retail place.
Our hours were cut at work. Last week I worked three days (12 hours) and this week is also three days, 15 hours. That’s at 10/hr with small bonuses for upselling certain products. I’ve begged for more hours, and tried picking up shifts at other stores. No one has anything available.
To make things worse, I’ve been fighting bed bugs AGAIN and its been tough going this time. The landlords have been spraying but after a month of spraying and them coming back and spraying and them coming back, I broke down and bought a Packtite ($300+) and a mattress cover and pillow cover that are bed bug proof ($80). This depleted my savings massively, especially after I paid rent ($650) and my summer energy bill AND my federal income tax payment (due to circumstances beyond my control, my payment didn’t go through back in April and they allowed me to pay late, without penalties).
I can cover this month’s rent but I’m not sure what I can do about next month. If things continue this way I’ll make about $800 this month – I’ve been taking home about $1200, with a gross income of 1400+. My mother is living on unemployment and staying with my brother and his girlfriend in Florida (the house belongs to his GF). I have no family I can turn to with any means to help me. Some of my friends are trying to find me jobs and have chipped in on little things, taking me out to eat, that kinda thing and I’m SO grateful. One girl I don’t even know that well gave me ten bucks tonight so I could buy a couple groceries. My friend S has already given me money in the past and I dunno if I can go to him again, hat in hand.
I already applied for food stamps and was turned down. I’m going to go try again. Metroplus (NY Medicaid) recently dropped me and informed me I make too much money. I plan to call them back next month for another interview once I get my lower checks.
Staring at my bank account, I’m seriously considering putting everything in storage and checking into a homeless shelter. I still have my (pathetic) job, I could lock my purse there at night and go to the shelter to sleep. I’m on the verge of tears just thinking about it though. I’ve been wanting to move for awhile but I’m not sure how I can come up with a deposit at this point. I could always ask my mom to sell my car (which is in Florida with her) but I’d rather she and my brother had an extra vehicle in case one of theirs dies.
So here’s what I’m planning to do in the next day or two:
– Go talk to the manager of the Walgreens around the corner from where I live and try to pick up a second PT job there;
– Call HR at my job and get them to stop taking taxes out of my check so I’ll get a little more every month.
– Get my stuff together again for food stamps.
– Get some food at the local food bank.
– Get another job (full-time or a second part-time)
– Sell the Packtite on Amazon used for a bit less than what I paid for it
– Beg S or another of my friends to let me stay with them awhile till I can get some more money together
– Beg my asshole ex-boss for my old job back (I’d make more money, but I’d be working 6 days a week in a highly stressful environment)
– Put my stuff in storage
– Check into a homeless shelter
– Beg my brother’s GF to let me stay with them in FL
– Hope and pray a branch of my store down there has a opening for me and I can transfer