Anybody else having a somewhat crappy Valentine's day?

It was pretty much like all my other Valentine’s Days. In 43 years, I have been in a relationship once on V-Day. That was over a decade ago. I did buy her chocolate: Ding Dongs. Turns out she had bought me chocolate: Ho-Hos. She dumped me 3 weeks later because I wasn’t ready to commit to a lifetime together after knowing each other for almost 3 months. :dubious:

This year was actually a bit worse than most. I had to have an MRI at 8:30 in the morning, when I don’t usually go to bed until 6 AM. Then I did my laundry, then went to work and ran my tail off trying to keep up. And through it all, the cold that I have been fighting decided to settle in my throat, so I am now croaking rather than talking. :frowning:

And now, I have been up for 19 hours on 3 hours of sleep and I need to get up in the morning again. But I can’t sleep. :frowning:

And pace? Press charges.

It was pretty much like any other day. I don’t mind being single. Some days I’m lonely, other days I’m glad no one is here. The number of those days is about equal.

The day itsself wasn’t too bad; the wife and i had both forgotten about it until the last minute. We decided we’d go to a Japanese restaurant for dinner, maybe bring the kids if they weren’t being too terrible. And they were about as good as teenagers usually are, so off we went.

When we got to the restaurant it was a little more crowded than usual, which was not unexpected given the day. We go in and are seated. The waitress tells us the kitchen is a little backed up, so there might be a little delay in serving us. I should have taken that as a sign, and left right then. We order drinks and are having a nice family chat for a while. The waitress takes our order almost immediately, so we figure the kitchen issue has resolved itsself. Well, after a half hour another waitress comes to our table and asks us to confirm our order. We do, and she says it’ll be out in a few minutes. Still no appetizers, but the kids and wife are getting their drinks refilled so we can wait a few more minutes. Another half hour goes by without sight or either of our waitresses. I’m pretty much ready to leave at this point, when waitress #1 comes over with miso soup, which none of us had ordered. She explains that the chef didn’t show up, and it’s her dad, the owner in the back doing the cooking and our food would be out… you guessed it… in a few minutes. I really want to leave now, but my wife and daughter convince me to stay a few more minutes. After another 15 they bring out my daughters food. (we’re clocking in at an hour and 15 minutes elapsed time here now). The rest of our food will be… a few more minutes. 15 minutes later and my daughter has finished her food. They bring my entrees for my son and I. Which was not what I had ordered. The only similarity was that both the dish I ordered and the dish they brought were both beef based. My son is very hungry, so he chows down regardless. I simply asked for a doggie bag so I could bring it home for him for later, as I had no appetite at all at this point. Which made me happy as he was getting pretty cranky. Still no entree for my wife, who has finally decided that it is indeed time to cut our losses and leave. At this point our appetizers show up. We toss them in the doggie bag, pay the bill and leave.

The wife and I had nuke a meals and went to bed. Never, ever, ever again will I participate in valentines day.

After-Valentines-Day depression? Sure.

Realising that another echoing useless year is about to take place. Another year older and uglier. After age 40, one’s romantic possibilities basically evaporate. The old song had it right: it’s better to die defore you get old. Listening to the shiny happy people over in Marketing talking about their shiny happy boyfriends and shiny happy girlfriends and shiny happy plans, and knowing that one is too old for it, and that all one’s co-workers are married, and one’s friends are parents or even grandparents.

I don’t even know what I was thinking, planning to enter that win-the-services-of-a-matchmaker contest. I still have no idea what to write in my essay that would convince them to pick me.

40+ and single sucks. Kill yourself first.

I snuggled up on my boyfriend the night before, and then promised him that I’d come home and do fabulous things to him when I got off work Tuesday morning, the kid’s in school, and we have the house to ourselves for a few hours.

I got a call at 5:30AM at work, from him-- I answered it, only to hear “Can you get something for an upset tummy? The kid’s sick.”

I drive home with Pepto, mentally re-planning the, um, activities to be a lot quieter and more centrally located in the bedroom rather than every room of the house…

and get home to find out he’d passed out asleep in bed and wouldn’t wake up. I left his flowers and candy on his computer desk and went to bed myself.

Corr
(I do have to mention that I got a nice note, two Valentines at home and one WITH a sucker taped to it at work, and some weird caller asked me to be his Valentine and then said, drunkenly, “Thash right, I love you baby!” So I think I came out ahead.)

I know it can be depressing, but seriously, if you are feeling that bad, go talk to someone. A professional listener preferably.

Lok

Thanks. I just did… called my counselor after lunch. I feel better now.

Glad to hear it.

Yeah, it was a tough day for me too.

Yesterday was the first Valentine’s day since my husband left me, so it was pretty lonely, and I had witness the usual delivery-guy-with huge-boquet-shows-up-and-gives-flowers-to-squealing-cow-orker thing. My boss left work early (he wasn’t supposed to) to take his airhead girlfriend out for dinner, and dumped a ton of work on me before he did so. Then, when I crossing the road on the way home, some goatfelcher way down the road thought it would be funny to speed up towards me and lean on the horn. I gave him the finger.

But my computer loves me, so I cracked open a beer and spent my evening lovingly stroking the keyboard.

I watched my friend’s kid…took her for her 1st Happy Meal and as we were leaving…my Jeep wouldn’t start. :frowning:

So me and a 2 years old waited for the tow truck and my husband had to leave work to come and get us. Ever try to convince a 2 year old that climbing into a big, loud, scary tow truck *insn’t * scary?!? Plus I’m 5 mos pregnant so crawling into a huge truck with a child attached to your neck is no easy feat.

So no romantic dinner or presents since he had to cut out early.
No chocolate lava muffins for dessert since we both got home at the same time…

We ate leftovers, watched the Daily Show and went to bed early.

We’re going to try a Take 2 Thursday night.

Mine started out really nice. My girlfriend got the flowers I had sent to her at work: blue irises and yellow tulips. She called me crying about how beautiful they are.

I sneak out of work to go get my hair trimmed so I look as dashing and debonaire as I can. I run home, feed the cats, take a shower, put on some Drakar Noir and some pimpin’ clothes. I head on over to pick her up.

When I get there, she looks stunning. Absolutely gorgeous. I give her the card and the opal ring I bought her. She loves them both. We head on out to dinner.

When we pull up in front of the restaurant, she says in a very disappointed voice, “Ooh, I don’t want chinese food.” I explain that this place has the best chinese food I’ve ever tasted and if she gives it a chance she’ll love it. Apparently, it’s not up to par for her.

So I start driving around looking for another place to eat. Everywhere I call (within her parameters, of course) have at least two hour waits. The whole time, she’s sitting in the passenger seat complaining about how I should’ve started looking earlier, how could I even THINK of taking her to a place where people wear jeans. I ask her what does it matter what everyone else is wearing, as we’ll be in a private booth with candlelight, good food, and great company. I will romance her and sweep her off her feet, I promise.

For whatever reason, she just can’t stop bitching about the restaurant I chose, but agrees to go back there because she’s getting hungry.

At the next available light, I pull a U-turn. When I pull up in front of her apartment building, I ask her to get out. She asks if I’m sure this is how I want to end the evening, and I tell her that I’m about to say something I’ll later regret, so please get out. She wants to park and talk it out. I explain as calmly as I can that her actions have left me so angry that my hands were shaking and to PLEASE GET OUT NOW.

She got out. I drove home, got drunk, and went to bed. So yea, I had a pretty lousy Valentine’s Day.

Lord Ashtar, that just plain sucks. This why I am sometimes glad that I’m single, especially on Valentine’s Day.

On behalf of all of us single on Valentine’s day, I thank you Lord Ashtar for cheering us up. :slight_smile:

Wow, Lord Ashtar, I think you win. What’s wrong with Chinese food? I dropped so much money on French last night when we would have probably both have preferred Indian or Chinese.

Yes, I quite agree.

And thanks for standing up for yourself too. That’s damned difficult to learn at times. :slight_smile:

Lord Ashtar, sorry to hear that things took such an ugly turn. :frowning: I can’t understand why she would be so obnoxious about it. Is that kind of behavior typical for her?

I’ve been having some mental health issues lately, and I had an anxiety attack that left me sobbing into my pillow for at least an hour. I took some of my anti-anxiety medication, fell asleep around 9:30, then and saw that the clock said 11:30. “Oh shit oh shit oh shit I was supposed to go to the doctor’s at 10…” I was up and out of that bed with my pants on in about five seconds…and then I realized that I’d only been asleep for 2 hours, not 14.

Ugh. I was also covered in sweat when I woke up and had to change my shirt and my pillowcase, they were so wet.

The day before 5 or so was pretty good, though.

Valentine’s Day was lousy.

Half-Price Candy Day is going great, though.

Damn, Lord Ashtar, that was just really shitty.

Mine was all right. Tuesdays are the days I volunteer at the local hospital, so I did that, and then came home, took a nap (I had a pounding headache). Funny, the hospital wasn’t so much decorated for Valentine’s-the black and gold Steelers decorations from last week were still up.

Moving thread from In My Humble Opinion to My PitypartieS I Must Share.