F@cK Valentine's day

Yeah, I said it. I’ll say it again. I do not like Valentine’s Day. F it and F Hallmark. Am I bitter? Nope. Do I hate corporations? Yep. Do I know the history behind Valentine’s Day? Yep. Does that matter? Nope.

So, bitter or not, with or without your significant other, who wants to give the finger to St. Valentine’s Day?

C’mon people you know you hate this day as much as me.

punk snot dead,
broccoli!

I don’t have a girlfriend, either.

Grrr…I hate this holiday. If I have a boyfriend, I have to decide on the ‘perfect gift’. Not too mushy, but not thoughtless either. If I don’t have a boyfriend, I have to look at all the naseating couples being all happy and gooey. Yuck.

This year, I’m stuck with door number 2. Anyone wanna volunteer to be my valentine? :slight_smile:

I like it.

Choke on yer’ roses.
anyone have one of those heart shaped candy thingers?

I loathe Valentine’s Day. Loathe it. But that’s probably because I never ever get Valentine’s…le sigh.

I have a boyfriend and I enjoy all the sappy stuff. But I do agree that the whole thing is a ploy by the candy companies to make more money. The spirit of the day should be more important than any gift. Unfortunately the whole thing (like most holidays) has been so commercialized that no one even sees the real point anymore.

[gruntmode]

Yeah… Valentine’s day sucks.

[/gruntmode]

Interestingly (or not), a couple of friends and I are getting dressed to the nines and going out en mass for Valentines Day. The catch: nothing but black. Black suit, shirt, tie and shoes. Hell, I even have black silk suspenders.

Nothing like getting dressed up, getting a really good meal and bemoaning the BS that are Hallmark Holidays.

I don’t have a g/f this year, so I’m just ignoring it. February 14 is going to be just another day. Screw it. My boss said he used to dump girls right before Christmas and then wouldn’t start dating again until after Valentine’s in order to save money on gifts.

I’m sorry, but I can’t go along with this boycott. I use every excuse there is to get that sweet lovin’. Yom Kipper, Boxing Day, Wednesday. . .

I never realized that Brocolli was such a bitter vegetable. I for one don’t mind valentine’s day. Maybe if you find a nice radish, or tomato you would like the holiday more? Just a thought.

[hijack]
My band is playing on January 30th at new world in ybor. You should come! Email me and I’ll give you info.
[/hijack]

I used to love Valentine’s Day. Valentine’s Day = chocolate, you know. Then the doctor said I can’t eat chocolate. I hate Valentine’s Day.

My god, not being able to eat chocolate? Unthinkable!..my condolences, Dolores pats you on the back

[more hijak]
Dude, that’s the same night Flogging Molly is playing. BTW, I’m staying in Tampa… FIND ME A DRUMMER PLEASE I’m beggin you.
[/more hijak]

I’m not actually bitter. I usually at least have a date if not an SO. I just hate Valentine’s day.

punk snot dead

Forget Flogging Molly. There will be lots of hot girls at New World and just in time to cheer up your valentine “scroogness”. :slight_smile:

[possession by cap’t Kirk]
soul… torn! … must … decide … wheretogo… Humanity … rests! … inthebalance… Bones! … do… something!
[/possession by cap’t Kirk]

Dude, if I get there and there aren’t a load of hot chicks, then you have to quit your band and drum for me, deal? C’mon you’ll like my band, we have toga tuesday open practices… free beer friday (where the fans have to bring us beer to get in…) and we also film movies of us breaking things (mainly each other)

punk snot dead,
broccoli!

This will be my 35th Valentine’s Day without an SO. (Granted the first 12 or so, I didn’t hate the feeling as acutely.)

That sucks.

On the other hand, I love those candy message hearts. And at a strapping 125 pounds, I don’t have to worry about whether they’re fattening or not.

[sub]Tooth rot, on the other hand…[/sub]

This is my second Valentine’s Day with an SO… well, now husband, so I’m looking forward to it. But… I believe in having nice romantic evenings beyond Feb 14th. And, I think that all of the merchandising is appalling.

I started a similar thread last year about this same thing… http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=7469

I quote our beloved Wally:

**“Fuck Valentines Day”

Hearts and roses and kisses galore…
What the hell is all that shit for?

People get mushy and start acting queer
It is definitely the most annoying day of the year.

This day needs to get the hell over with and pass
Before I shove a dozen roses up Cupid’s ass

I’ll spend the day so drunk I can’t speak
And wear all black for the rest of the week

Guys act all sweet, but it soon will fade
For all they are doing is trying to get laid

The arrow Cupid shot at me must not have hit
Because I think love is a crock of shit

So here’s my story…what else can I say?
Love bites my ass…Fuck Valentines Day!

You guys want great poetry?

Fuck off and buy Shelley’s Greatest Hits.**